Advice on new boutique amp

What's Hot
jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 115
hi all
ive decide to take the plunge on a new amp for home 
i gig a hot rod deluxe and its great, and ive got an old 62 tweed gibson falcon atm ( which i may sell) . But life is too short, im in the market for a newer clean ( ish) 10 watter ( ish)
Initial options 
(I) magnatone panoramic stereo thingy, or
(ii)a louis electric princeton-alike,
(iii) or carr sportsman ,maybe
(iv) a victoria  or maybe
(v)a brownface fender .
Would like a trem and reverb and something capable of jazz like sweet thro to a bit of dirt . And good at semidetached levels 
any experience of these or suggestions on others ?
thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12323
    edited June 2019
    I've not had one but having had a princeton I would get a rift PR6 or a tone king gremlin.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    +1 on the Rift. Chris’s amps are fantastic. I’d consider the Pr18 as well as the pr6. The master works really well. So even at 18watts they found great at home levels.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1370
    Clean, ~10 watts and high-end/bespoke, I'd be looking at a Harvard clone. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    what about a SWART or a Tone King??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    magnatone and louis electric are both LOUD..i had the louis which is fantastic but too powerful for my needs...had a Swart AST with a celestion gold in it...twas lovely and fits your brief very well indeed, stunning trem and reverb, super sweet cleans and nice breakup
  • dcgdcg Frets: 230
    I have used (and still use) a silverface 1970s Fender Princeton Reverb with a 12" speaker for both rehearsals and small gigs;  it is 12-15 watts, which is fine for most situations - and you can always mic up (although it's plenty loud enough; ask Jim Campilongo, who only seems to use Princetons live).  £1000-1200 would buy you an excellent specimen of a silverface PR, and it takes pedals very well too.  For an alternative, why not try the Fender Chris Stapleton Princeton - and use a simple digital reverb (TC?) in front?  I will probably have to buy one of those eventually...and it already has the 12" speaker fitted.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    Rift
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Tone King Imperial MKII. Awesome amplificator.
  • docbakerdocbaker Frets: 30
    +1 Rift
    -site:amazon.co.uk -site:ebay.co.uk... ditto for .com, the most powerful internet search filters
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    Rift.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    +1 Rift 18w Brownface with half power switch
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12323
    dcg said:
    I have used (and still use) a silverface 1970s Fender Princeton Reverb with a 12" speaker for both rehearsals and small gigs;  it is 12-15 watts, which is fine for most situations - and you can always mic up (although it's plenty loud enough; ask Jim Campilongo, who only seems to use Princetons live).  £1000-1200 would buy you an excellent specimen of a silverface PR, and it takes pedals very well too.  For an alternative, why not try the Fender Chris Stapleton Princeton - and use a simple digital reverb (TC?) in front?  I will probably have to buy one of those eventually...and it already has the 12" speaker fitted.
    I've recently sold a princeton reissue and bought a 74 champ which has much better cleans, would be really interested to compare it to a vintage princeton.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    This solved my search which is similar to what you might be looking for.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2w9h5y2TPW0
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Dindude's Sportsman in the Classifieds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    I gig a hrd but have a Carr Mercury at home. It's 8 Watts but you can switch to 4,2 or half watt (off the top of my head). It's has some incredible tones at usable home volume levels. I am not that keen on the overdrive sounds but if you crank the master volume it's heavenly. And it looks great in the lounge. If you are near Ely you are welcome to try it, and Coda usually stock a few of these. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Kebabkid said:
    Dindude's Sportsman in the Classifieds
    Correct answer....
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    I’ve just picked up a Rift PR18 in the classifieds, not had chance to use it at band volume yet but it sounds brilliant at low volumes. 

Depending on your neighbours I’d say it’d have to be the PR6 if it was exclusively home use. 

Based on my experience of the the PR18 I’d have to say I’d love to have a PR6 too, unlikely in the short term though. 

Mine doesn’t have a master or half power switch, are they custom orders?

Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    tFB Trader
    keir said:
    I’ve just picked up a Rift PR18 in the classifieds,

Mine doesn’t have a master or half power switch, are they custom orders?
    1/2 Power switches are a custom option, yes.

No PR6, PR18, or PR35 has ever been built with a MV. Any out there with one must be modded after the fact
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk