Speaker swap for a Boogie Thiele cab

LewyLewy Frets: 4169
So...I've got a EVM 12L loaded Thiele cab knocking around which I used to use with a MkIII head which I haven't had for a decade. At the same time, I want a 1x12 cab to use with my Tweed Champ.

The EV is the wrong impedance and also sounds way too dark with the Champ, so I was wondering if I could just get a different speaker and stick it in the Thiele cab - something like a Jensen P12Q. Will it sound weird because of the ported cab design? Anyone tried different speakers in a Thiele?

Any thoughts welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    Lewy said:

Anyone tried different speakers in a Thiele?
    Yes, Mesa ;).

They swapped from the EV to the Celestion C90 without any other change, which makes the idea that the cab was specifically tuned for the EV using the Thiele-Small parameters quite amusing :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    Yes you can use it, the cab might make the bass from the champ unbearable though.

The champ does not attenuate bass at all and all the bottom end with a ported cab might not be great, I it was me I would probably end up modding the champ to suit the cabinet. I would try mod the champ before changing out speakers. a bright cap on the volume control and reduce the first coupling cap and it should sound pretty good

Yes you can use it, the cab might make the bass from the champ unbearable though.
    I don't know about that, my old '59 Fender 5F1 sounded incredible through a 4-ohm-wired Marshall straight 4x12" :). Yes, a lot of bottom end - but I like that, and it wasn't boomy or undefined. Like Neil Young but at slightly more sensible volume ;).

Given that the Thiele is quite like a 4x12" in voicing, I would guess it will work fine, but it does need a 4-ohm speaker for a Champ anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    Food for thought. Thanks!
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I don't know about that, my old '59 Fender 5F1 sounded incredible through a 4-ohm-wired Marshall straight 4x12" :). Yes, a lot of bottom end - but I like that, and it wasn't boomy or undefined. Like Neil Young but at slightly more sensible volume ;).

Given that the Thiele is quite like a 4x12" in voicing, I would guess it will work fine, but it does need a 4-ohm speaker for a Champ anyway.
    Probably depends on the speakers then, I have G12H speaker in the cab i tested it with and didn't like it, changed the first coupling cap got rid of the bass blocking distortion and made the whole thing much sweeter. horses for courses though.
    Modulus_Amps said:

Probably depends on the speakers then, I have G12H speaker in the cab i tested it with and didn't like it, changed the first coupling cap got rid of the bass blocking distortion and made the whole thing much sweeter. horses for courses though. 
    Or maybe the output transformer? The guitarist in my band had a Victoria 5112 with a G12H-30 Heritage in it, which sounded fantastic. The Victoria has bigger transformers than the stock Fender ones though.

I can imagine if the transformer is saturating and you've got a very bassy speaker that might not sound very nice. Is it an 8-ohm speaker?

• gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    I've never heard of an EV sounding too dark !
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Modulus_Amps said:

Or maybe the output transformer? The guitarist in my band had a Victoria 5112 with a G12H-30 Heritage in it, which sounded fantastic. The Victoria has bigger transformers than the stock Fender ones though.

I can imagine if the transformer is saturating and you've got a very bassy speaker that might not sound very nice. Is it an 8-ohm speaker?
    I think the champ I had was built with a larger OT, this is probably just a taste thing
    tFB Trader
    @gordiji said:
    I've never heard of an EV sounding too dark !
    I have, it was also in a Mesa Thiele cabinet