T-Cut to remove scratches from 80's Fender?

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
Just picked up an old Bullet Deluxe. It's in very good condition but there are a couple of scratches that show when it's tilted to the light. Would T -Cut be an appropriate cleaner or is there anything else (Brasso?) that might do the job?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Brasso is better. Start lighter and work up to T cut if required. Toothpaste is also good for small areas.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Certainly not Brasso on the finish - I sometimes use Meguiars Car polish - Similar to T-Cut - With a cutting compound - To remove light surface grazes + stale sweat marks - Then a quick polish after to shine - Depends how old, stubborn and deep the scratches are 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes Brasso! - Brasso will make it look like this from a satin nitro.

I have used it on all my guitars for decades and is the best for all sorts of scuffs and pickguard scratches too - brings them back to almost new. I use Gibson polish for the everyday buff up though.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    57Deluxe said:
    Brasso is better. Start lighter and work up to T cut if required. Toothpaste is also good for small areas.
    Brasso - You've got me on this one - Not in a bad way - Never heard of it for this - Or thought of it this way - Might try it on a cheap copy first - Always used Meguiars if a cutting compound required - Finding Dunlop Platinum 65 is excellent as a day to day polish - Doesn't Brasso smell a bit to much ? in not a nice way
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    If you rub your finger nail on the scratch and you can feel it T Cut wont polish it out ,unless the finish Is really quite soft. When we take scratches out of car paint we sand with anything up to 2000 grit wet and dry using water with a tiny amount of soap to lubricate then polish with a polishing compound to bring up the gloss.
    For a guitar finish which I assume is softer than car paint you could try a cutting compound. Meguiars Car polish , or at least some of their polishes is quite different from TCut, it starts off as a mild abrasive just like TCut but the more you polish it into the finish the more it breaks down getting finer and finer as you go, sometimes its good to use a little water with these types of polishes because if it dries out the process is interupted and when you reapply more polish you start all over again.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    I’ve used T Cut on a 64 Gibson 335 - used sensibly it does no harm whatsoever.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    Thank you for all the responses, they're really helpful. Here's the guitar -

Scratches are light but quite visible when in right light -

As the guitar is in such otherwise excellent condition I'd like to try and get them out. I think I'll try T-Cut, I think it may buff them out. There's also Planet Waves Restore Detailer I found on Amazon, seems like it might be a T-Cut like thing.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Looks better with the scratch
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    It’s hard to be sure from the photo but those look pretty deep. You'll need to go through a lot of the finish to remove them completely, although softening the edges might make them less visible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    Thank you for all the responses, they're really helpful. Here's the guitar -

Scratches are light but quite visible when in right light -

As the guitar is in such otherwise excellent condition I'd like to try and get them out. I think I'll try T-Cut, I think it may buff them out. There's also Planet Waves Restore Detailer I found on Amazon, seems like it might be a T-Cut like thing.
    I use the PW Restore - but it is subtle - won't work on deeper scuff marks
    ICBM said:
    It’s hard to be sure from the photo but those look pretty deep. You'll need to go through a lot of the finish to remove them completely, although softening the edges might make them less visible.
    They are difficult to photograph and look quite bad in certain light but they don't catch a fingernail run over them. I'm hopeful that with the right abrasive and lots of elbow grease they may come out completely. But as you say, it's dependant upon depth of finish - it's not encased in a thick poly coat like some Fenders.
    TINMAN82 said:
    Usually I'd agree, I've never been previously tempted to restore a guitar but this one is so clean it seems worth a little effort to get it like new again. This model often gets trashed or messed around with - you seldom come across a mint, cased example - it even has the original maintenance  booklet.

It sounds very nice - much better than the standard model (with metal scratch plate) which I had about a year ago. Neck and esp fretboard is much better quality. In neck position it sounds very Strat like.

57Deluxe said:
    Yes Brasso! - Brasso will make it look like this from a satin nitro. 
    Do you use the Brasso liquid or the stuff in a tin that looks like cotton wool?
    Brasso (or any no brand similar brass polish) liquid in a can. The stuff in the wadding is Duraglit and that *IS*  too abrasive.. Seems Brasso have bought Duraglit which may be why some of you are perplexed!

So - NOT THE WADDING product!!

NO

NO

YES

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Virtuoso Professional Guitar Cleaner is very good, but it also smells remarkably like Brasso liquid.............
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    I think the scratch is too deep for cutting compound. You'd need to flat the area first and that risks sanding through the finish. 

Like most damage on this type of finish, best left alone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    JezWynd said:
    ICBM said:
    They are difficult to photograph and look quite bad in certain light but they don't catch a fingernail run over them. I'm hopeful that with the right abrasive and lots of elbow grease they may come out completely. But as you say, it's dependant upon depth of finish - it's not encased in a thick poly coat like some Fenders.
    TINMAN82 said:
    Usually I'd agree, I've never been previously tempted to restore a guitar but this one is so clean it seems worth a little effort to get it like new again. This model often gets trashed or messed around with - you seldom come across a mint, cased example - it even has the original maintenance  booklet.

It sounds very nice - much better than the standard model (with metal scratch plate) which I had about a year ago. Neck and esp fretboard is much better quality. In neck position it sounds very Strat like.
    Is it the USA built one? My '81 has what looks like 10" fretboard radius, though I've never seen that mentioned anywhere even though Fender were using 7.25" on everything in those days. 
    p90fool said:
    Is it the USA built one? My '81 has what looks like 10" fretboard radius, though I've never seen that mentioned anywhere even though Fender were using 7.25" on everything in those days. 
    Yes it is USA built and I'd agree that radius is prob 9.5/10". Def flatter than 7.25". The fretboard on this Deluxe version has a normal depth rosewood fretboard while the earlier one had a wafer thin piece of rosewood.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    Interesting, mine would definitely be called a slab rather than veneer board as its bottom is flat, but it's not a thick slab.