Wiring a Speaker, +ive and -ive query

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
I'm installing a new speaker in a WEM Westminster and I see that the speaker terminals are marked + and -. I had assumed that as there were 2 wires, which went where wouldn't be an issue but perhaps not.

The original wiring has been replaced with domestic lighting wire (blue and brown). Can anyone tell me from this pic of the circuit board which is the +ive wire? See extreme right of pic for where they exit the output transformer(?). I'm thinking brown is +ive but I'm not certain and don't know if incorrect location would damage anything. Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591

Logic would dictate that the brown wire is +ve but connecting to a single speaker it matters not.

If you are connecting two or more speakers together they need to be "in phase" but even here, if you get it wrong you will just get a weak sound with little bass, no harm will come to amp or speakers.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    ecc83 said:

Logic would dictate that the brown wire is +ve but connecting to a single speaker it matters not.

If you are connecting two or more speakers together they need to be "in phase" but even here, if you get it wrong you will just get a weak sound with little bass, no harm will come to amp or speakers.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, that's reassuring, I will proceed...
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    I can't quite see from the photo but on the Westminster, the -ve speaker terminal on the output transformer should also be connected to ground, which it looks like it is via the black wire. So as Dave says they have stuck to convention with the blue -ve / brown +ve wiring. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    I’ve wired it up and it sounds fine using brown as +ive. Thanks guys.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591
    DJH83004 said:
    I can't quite see from the photo but on the Westminster, the -ve speaker terminal on the output transformer should also be connected to ground, which it looks like it is via the black wire. So as Dave says they have stuck to convention with the blue -ve / brown +ve wiring. 

VERY good point D! One side of the transformer secondary MUST b connected to chassis. It is very, very rare for a primary to short to secondary but it can happen. Tied to chassis a fuse will blow.

Dave.