Celestion V Type (not V30)

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24249
what’s the craic with these then?
I see they are fitted to the cabs that go with the Marshall Studio range but I can’t figure out the voicing.

Are they a bit V30, or closer to something else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6689
    I'm offloading one for next to nothing. Why not find out? :)

Only selling because it was in a 5E3 I bought and I wanted something lower powered. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/156040/fs-ft-celestion-g12-v-type#latest

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    I fitted a V30, then a V-type into a HRDIII, as I didn't like the original speaker.

I liked the V30 for its cutting rock sound with an overdrive/distortion pedal, but somewhat 'full on'. It was not good for the clean sound which I found too harsh.

I then tried a V-type because Mike Landau had them fitted in his signature amp, which is (sort of) from a similar family of amp to the HRD. I found the V type worked well for me (better than the V30) in my HRDIII. A sweeter sounding speaker and reasonable all rounder.

I've now got an HRD IV, which comes with an A-type as stock, which I believe is supposed to be a bit more American sounding and certainly works really well in the HRD IV.

It's not a competition.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7844
    It’s a great speaker. I have one in my Peavey Classic 30. Improved it no end. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    edited June 2019
    I found it's like a V30, but with a much more rounded sound - better low-end, and less harshness up top.

Hands-down my favourite of the non-lightweight speakers.

EDIT: It's actually a bit like the result you get with a V30 and a G12T-75 in the same cab, but in one speaker.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24249
    Sounds good to me!
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    The official spiel can be found in the catalogue:

"Built on over 90 years of experience, know-how and passion for great sound, the V-Type has been created using a carefully balanced ‘recipe’ of old and new design techniques. It delivers authentic Celestion tone together with vintage musicality and a thrilling, tactile responsiveness that leaves you feeling connected to the music and makes you want to keep on playing.

Whatever your style, the V-Type provides a heady and exciting sound, with a superbly balanced tonal signature. Cleans are true across the lows, mids and highs, with just enough upper-mid chime and HF sparkle to add clarity and definition. Crank it up for a sizzling overdrive and raw rock tones, with plenty of midband warmth to give body and substance to lead note playing"

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS
    Nominal diameter .... 12", 305mm
    Power rating ................ 70W
    Nominal impedance .... 8Ω & 16Ω
    Sensitivity ................... 98dB
    Chassis type ........ Pressed steel
    Voice coil diameter 1.75",44.5mm
    Voice coil material ...Round copper
    Magnet type .............Ceramic
    Magnet weight ....... 31oz, 0.88kg
    Frequency range ......75-5000Hz
    Resonance frequency, Fs. . . . . 75Hz
    DC resistance, Re .... 7.3Ω & 12.9Ω

MOUNTING INFORMATION
    Diameter ........... 12.2", 309mm
    Overall depth ....... 4.84", 123mm
    Magnet structure dia 5.3", 134mm
    Cut-out diameter ... 11.1", 283mm
    Mounting slot dims 0.31", 7.9mm Ø
    Number of mounting slots ....... 8
    Mounting slot PCD . 11.7", 297mm
    Unit weight ............ 7.2lb, 3.3kg
    I've never found official blurb to be useful for stuff like that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    I possibly haven't heard enough well-broken-in ones yet, but I'm not convinced. To me they sound quite tight, midrangy and a bit characterless - almost like Celestion trying to copy Eminence :). They certainly don't have anything like the huge mid spike of the V30, but they don't seem to have any real depth or top-end sparkle either.

Better than a Seventy/80 though! And not too heavy or expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Seventy/80 sounds fine with the right amp....

The V-type doesn’t have the V30 mid hump (thankfully) but I wouldn’t say it’s characterless. It’s a great unit for pedal platforms - really sounds nice in a Fender-style amp imho. I have a cab that has a pair in that I’ve used with an HRD for more spread and it sounded great with that and a pedalboard.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've ordered a Jet City cab - the JCA24S+ and I'll give it a try with the stock speakers and then see whether I need to change them.
    impmann said:
    Seventy/80 sounds fine with the right amp....
    Line 6 Spider? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited June 2019
    It's not a competition.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    impmann said:
     It’s a great unit for pedal platforms - really sounds nice in a Fender-style amp imho. 

I have no direct experience of either speaker, but isn't that what the sister model, the A-type, is for - Fender chime?

Which brings me to muse on whether people tend to select speakers in order accentuate or mitigate the character of the amp?
    DannyP said:
    impmann said:
     It’s a great unit for pedal platforms - really sounds nice in a Fender-style amp imho. 

I have no direct experience of either speaker, but isn't that what the sister model, the A-type, is for - Fender chime?

Which brings me to muse on whether people tend to select speakers in order accentuate or mitigate the character of the amp?

That's a good point. I talked to Zilla about that ages ago - about using Creambacks instead of V30 for bright Marshalls etc. especially as Marshall Eqs on the older design amps anyway, are not as powerful as on modern ones.
    DannyP said:

My experience/preference is to mitigate - it produces a more balanced sound, whereas accentuating can be very shouty or hollow. A good example is why V30s sound great with a Mesa Rectifier head but can be terrible in small combos.

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited June 2019
    I know it's not the same, but I'm using a digital representation of this  on my CAB M and it sounds superb with the SV20H...
    Marshall® 1965A 4×10 Celestion® G10L-35 closed back

Can't imagine it sounding shit with the SC20H.

And I agree, a V30 is too harsh with the Marshall - at least it is with the CAB M models of Vintage 30's - they sound nice, but a bit too harsh in comparison to the G10L.

EDIT: Just noticed it's a 10" speaker! Still sounds great, but will compare to a 12" when I get a chance.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    I’ve got one in my tweed Harvard, again, due to the Landau connection. I prefer it over the v30, G1230H and Creamback. It’s not what I was expecting though, I thought it was going to be all scoopy ‘American’ sounding but as others have said it’s more like a better V30 for smaller cabs.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    I like em. They're a bit bland compared to a Greenback but still pretty nice and miles better than something like a 70/80.