tell me about ipads and guitars - just bought one

What's Hot
Ok I was well sorted on the pc.  I could play tracks, slow them down, loop sections, and change the key using winamp and I have an old pandora to play my guitar along to the PC.  I've also got a USB interface for recording coupled with audacity.  I've also got a copy of band in a box to create backing tracks but I've not got to grips with it

So the question is - bearing in mind that it is all budget - what do I need for the Ipad please as it's all foreign to me

thanks
Nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    Jamup Pro does: amp/fx modelling, play-along to mp3s with slow-down/speed-up/pitch-change and looping, 8-track recording, and other stuff.

I use an Apogee Jam to connect the guitar to ipad. The iRig is ok as a test of whether you'll use the functionality, but the Apogee is a much better interface.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I use exactly as mentioned by stickfiddle plus I have an apogee mic for redcording acoustic guitar etc as well as the Apogee Jam and can second his comments above.  As well I jamup pro I also use garageband quite a bit.  I can't remember exactly but they only cost 3 or 4 pounds each.  I find it useful to connect mine to a bluetooth interface connected to my speaker monitors but you can just transfer the files onto you pc or elsewhere for playing.

There's lots of other good software.  I like fasttune HT6, ireal b and time trainer the best.

One of the best things about the ipad is because it's always on you can set up to be ready to record in seconds  and it's very portable.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    edited August 2013
    I would have said this ...

Jamup Pro does: amp/fx modelling, play-along to mp3s with slow-down/speed-up/pitch-change and looping, 8-track recording, and other stuff.

The iRig is ok as a test of whether you'll use the functionality
    But StickyFiddle said it already.

Seriously - I've got a heap of apps on my iPad, but all I use nowadays is JamUp Pro (and Guitar Pro).

Some people have reported problems with the iRig interface - but it's worked fine for me.  And it's a cheap way in.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 182
    cheers guys.

given how much I accidentally spent on the ipad (I went to the apple store to get my sons iphone fixed under warranty) then another £70 is a drop in the bleedin ocean

apogee thingy on its way.  whoo hoo.  retail therapy of the GAS variety :)