Bought a new toy today...

What's Hot
Just a bit of fun hiding at the back there, mainly because I refuse to grow up...

Even the wife thinks it's cool :D
<space for hire>
celica.jpeg 202.8K
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    edited June 2019
    Celica? would love one of them, I think I've only ever seen them in that colour too
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27470
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What, you've bought a hedge? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Great cars - had one and enjoyed it. Have fun Lee!

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    It’s no Veloster. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    It’s no Veloster. 
    That’s because Lee clearly has some taste..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    edited June 2019
    Mid life crisis?

My friend phoned me at work a couple of years ago to say he had bought an MX5 as a toy did I want a go in it, he picked me up from work and we took it for a spin, coming off a roundabout in the wet and not being used to rear wheel drive he did a 180 taking us off the road through a fence and into a load of bushes.

His wife hadn't even seen it, he was on the phone to her explaining it was probably a write off, it was like a comedy I could hear her high pitched screaming as he could just mumble "well obviously I've f'cked up Janine!!"

That celica is a proper car though, happy car day!
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It’s no Veloster. 
    Oh, and the ability to make a decision and post it rather than 30+ pages of procrastination
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    Quite right - I still own the first car that I bought with my own money rather a long time ago---Triumph TR6.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Yeah I really like those - My friend's parents had one and it was great to ride in
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26578
    tony99 said:
    Celica? would love one of them, I think I've only ever seen them in that colour too
    I've seen a few silver ones and black ones, too. Don't like the red ones, mind...bit garish.

The blue has to have black alloys for the full "I haven't grown up yet" effect, to go with the spoiler-that-provides-zero-downforce thing. I fully admit that I'm a total child when it comes to this sort of thing.
    What, you've bought a hedge? 
    Believe it or not, we're actually considering that to replace the wrecked fence (thanks, schoolkids).
    munckee said:

That celica is a proper car though, happy car day!
    Cheers - it's nice to drive, but it's going to be a little while before I get the hang of sticking in the sweet spot, particularly given that it's the first car I've driven with a 6-speed box. Totally different driving experience to the Puma - which is also good, but can be hard work by comparison. On the other hand, the Puma has an immediacy to everything you do - it's a little like driving a go-kart; I suspect I'll be adjusting to the Celica for a few weeks yet.

With that said...the Celica has a similar power-to-weight ratio to the Puma. I was sorely tempted by the 189bhp VVTL-i, but you only get the lift when you boot it up past 6krpm, and I know I'd be in licence-losing territory with that.

...maybe for the next one? :D

In the meantime, I'd got plenty of mostly-cosmetic work to do on it. The spoiler and the wheels need refinishing, the bumper's had a few scratches and it's lost its paint in a three square inch area, so there's that. I've got some new boot struts too, because the old ones have completely lost their gas.

Most importantly, though, I've replaced the wrecked gear knob with a proper chrome one. Much better.
    <space for hire>
    It’s no Veloster. 
    Oh, and the ability to make a decision and post it rather than 30+ pages of procrastination
    Yep. Decided I needed to replace the Puma about a week ago, spent a few days researching and camping on Autotrader, found the right deal and bought it.

No faffing about required. Then again, it was £995 - I'd much rather buy a cheap car and do it up than spend a fuckton on something that has to be perfect or I've lost my money. The relative cheapness makes a big difference to the purchase timescales :)
    <space for hire>
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    I live on your street!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    It’s no Veloster. 
     I'd much rather buy a cheap car and do it up than spend a fuckton on something that has to be perfect or I've lost my money. The relative cheapness makes a big difference to the purchase timescales :)
    unless it's had the arse ragged off it I doubt it'll need too much doing it, Toyota's usually well sound, even at high mileage
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tony99 said:
    It’s no Veloster. 
     I'd much rather buy a cheap car and do it up than spend a fuckton on something that has to be perfect or I've lost my money. The relative cheapness makes a big difference to the purchase timescales :)
    unless it's had the arse ragged off it I doubt it'll need too much doing it, Toyota's usually well sound, even at high mileage
    It's done 121k, but it seems fine. However, I've just tooled round town a bit with the windows down...the noise isn't unlike my original MG ZR before I put the exhaust back to stock, just a little quieter.

I'm not sure I dislike it, either...
    <space for hire>
    You’ll be hanging around in the McDonald’s car park on a Sunday evening next..  ;)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    You'd have been better off buying a lawnmower, it's not like you don't need one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    You'd have been better off buying a lawnmower, it's not like you don't need one.
    We really don't. That's why we park the cars on the lawn - kills the grass, no need to mow the lawn.

Many wins in one.
    <space for hire>
  • Is that a puma next to it? I really miss my old one :( wonderful car, I hope Ford make another. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited June 2019
    Glad the fundraising money we sent in went to good use. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom