Snarky Puppy - recommendations

What's Hot
DaveB666DaveB666 Frets: 85
After seeing Mark Lettieri on TPS this week I feel I should check out some of his stuff - any Snarky recommendations or his trio/other bands?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    Big Lettieri fan but I have to be honest and say for me Snarky Puppy have been a disappointment on record.  The problem is they are dominated by Michael League, a fabulous bass player and formidable leader but not, in my opinion, a particularly inspired composer or arranger.  For me their best recording is Sylva, the one they did with the Metropole Orkest.  Even there they are less than the sum of their parts.  But the parts can be mind blowingly good with the likes of Lettieri and Cory Henry. Check 'em out and form your own opinion. Better still, see them live.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    edited June 2019
    He does some great stuff on baritone with Vulfpeck spin-off The Fearless Flyers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaveB666DaveB666 Frets: 85
    Damn that's funky!
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Check his solo albums, love his new baritone one !

#thebatesmotelband
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    They are one of those bands that I find best when you are watching a video of them playing. Some superb stuff on YouTube
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I saw SP live about three years ago without knowing much about them. Whilst I really enjoyed them the recordings leave me a bit cold, there is something quite spectacular about that big band that doesn't quite translate. 
    If its Lettieri you're interested in probably Fearless Flyers or his solo band, he is after all just one small part of the Puppies. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    They released “We Like it Here” as an album which is a live recording/DVD - that’s an amazing place to start. Mind was blown when I first heard it.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I prefer Fearless flyers but I find with both bands I have a limited capacity to listen to them for more than 10 minutes before it all sounds very samey
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited June 2019
    Given their reputation, I was rather disappointed when I saw them live. I felt they really could do with one less keyboard player.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Given their reputation, I was rather disappointed when I saw them live. I felt they really could do with one less keyboard player.
    I’m surprised, saw them a couple of years ago at The Sage in Gateshead and they were awesome. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Lot's of gig recordings on iTunes - got a 2015 from Austin Texas, that sounds great.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    edited June 2019
    He's great on the live album 'Guitar Band' by saxophonist Bob Reynolds (another Snarky Puppy member). The first time this lineup had played together. No rehearsal. Barely a soundcheck and tunes being played for the first time!
    Bandcamp link: https://bobreynolds.bandcamp.com/album/guitar-band

There are some nicely shot videos from the recording on YouTube. Nir Felder is the other guitarist.