Recommend a portable Bluetooth speaker?

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
Being an old fart with two ears, I'm befuddled by modern yoofs' acceptance of a single Bluetooth speaker for stereo listening. But I find myself in need of one of these new-fangled battery-powered Bluetooth speakers. Some look like overs-zed pills, some are tiny. (shrug)

I don't need waterproofness, nor clever wifi-Alexa/hands-free/etc connectivity - just 3.5mm stereo and Bluetooth.

Budget: £80-120 and don't mind buying used.

Ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    I've got this little Jam Heavy Metal speaker and the sound for its size is very impressive. It's a heavy little unit with a bass port and it has a firm rubber base to it so it doesn't slip. I normally have it in the kitchen but my wife brought it into the front room the other day to stream her music to it and we noticed just how impressively deep the ported bass is projected.

It's a really solid little bit of kit for the money

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/reviews/3644329/jam_heavy_metal_reivew_05.jpg
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    My vote goes for Anker Boost. £50 and performs really well - had it connected to the laptop for movies, taken it to the beach / garden, listened to music indoors - never had any issues.
    I liked Bose Soundlink mini too - but you'd have to compare and assess if it's worth paying that much more for it. 
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    UE Boom 3 or LG PK5.  If you want louder, the UE Megaboom 3.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
     Minirig is a giant killer
                          :o
    When logic and proportion
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    JBL Charge 2+. Bass line is so deep you could feel it in Jamaica.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7852
    I’ve tried quite a few. My favourite by far is my little Anker Soundcore.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016MO90GW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZBW.CbJEZZGRF

its not the best sounding one I’ve got, but it does sound pretty good. 
    It plays plenty loud and never distorts. It’s a nice size, not to big, not heavy, connects to pretty much everything with ease...

It’s my favourite for one very special reason.  I’m going on holiday next month, the little Anker Soundcore will come with me. I know that I can use it every single day for pretty much as long as I want, and not worry about bringing a charger for it. It’ll do the entire holiday on a single charge.  In fact, the charge is so impressive on this thing that can honestly say that I have probably charged it less than ten times in the two years I’ve had it. And, even when it does need a charge, it just seems to go on, and on.....

i have UA’s, JBL’s, Roberts, and several others. The best sounding is probably the Bose Soundlink Mini, but all of these need charging within an hour, in some cases, constantly - their true portability is questionable. Not the Anker, it’s a little Trojan, I can always rely on it, it holds a legendary status in my household for never giving up, and tremendous reliability. 

I’ve not tried the other upmarket Anker speakers, the ‘Flare and Flare +’ are supposed to be excellent, but I use my hifi for detail, and the Anker for portability, it’s good enough for me. Absolutely love it.  
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3688
    edited June 2019
    Depends on how portable you want.  My constant travelling companion is a Juice Sound Square (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Juice-Square-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker-Pink/dp/B00F3U1V8W/ref=sr_1_4?adgrpid=54801979364&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt_Tot9Hg4gIVQuaaCh1lyg-nEAAYASAAEgJEJPD_BwE&hvadid=259005454212&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=1007196&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17798919260256429058&hvtargid=aud-615477028278%3Akwd-315599921934&hydadcr=3733_1725847&keywords=sound+square&qid=1560228884&s=gateway&sr=8-4)

Technically a cube but great sound for its size, a claimed 6 hour battery life - certainly not an issue - and immensely portable, each side is bout 2.5”. My wife got my son one as a stocking filler one year and I was so impressed I went out and bought one for myself
  • Another vote for Anker Soundcore. Excellent sound & battery life. 
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    We have had a Cambridge Audio Minx for 3 or 4 years in our kitchen.  The latest version is on sale at about your price range.  it's a bit bigger than ome or two of those mentioned, so probably not for carry on aeroplane baggage, but the sound quality is very good.  I am frequently amazed at how such a tiny box can fill a room with sound.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Anker Soundcore here too. Completely excellent for the price.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    another vote for the Anker Soundcore, amazing value for money
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    edited June 2019
    Cool - some consensus on the Anker forming.

Another tFBer PMed me a link to this YT channel that does some useful comparisons: (EDIT - the YT link doesn't work) but it's a YTer called "clavinetjunkie"

From browsing Ebay, I think I'll skip buying used. Lots of "parts only" adverts so I wonder if they get abused. Better to buy with warranty, I think.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    The biggest problem with BT speakers is most of them use a micro USB socket and these are easily damage (why someone thought this socket was a good idea to charge a device is beyond me) .... They ain't easy to replace either.

I had a House of Marley in for repair last week, that had the best bass response for a speaker of that size I have seen and the battery was easily replaceable compared to most 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    I love my Bose Soundlink 2
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    +1 Anker for decent quality on a budget. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Hmmm... after checking the Anker, the Jam, then the Tribit and then the others, I found this:

Riva S sounds good to my ears... about double the price of the Anker, though.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I’ve been very happy with an Anker Soundcore, it gets used daily and works flawlessly. Brilliant for spoken word and music. Incredible little device.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Another +1 for the soundcore. Does a brilliant job for next to no money. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268

Been looking for a cheap Bluetooth speaker myself, so just ordered a Soundcore on the strength of this thread. 

Look forward to seeing if it's as good as the reviews say it is.

Laugh, love, live, learn.