You lot with shaved heads.

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
I call for your expertise. 

Due to the baldness taking hold and being 30, I've taken a preference to keeping my head bald, looks far better and keeps my confidence levels up. 

Problemo is, my skins crap, and my techniques are probably amateur to boot. 

I can get away with shaving with a razor twice a week maybe, monday and thursday, so thats work life covered but in between those days its grown obviously and looks a bit shit for weekends or what not. 

Thing is, If I shave more frequently, i get sores, bumps etc, mainly around the back and sides where the hairs thicker and skins more creased. Those areas also take multiple against the grain passes to get clean, and probably with a bit of pressure, and even then you can still feel it a-bit although not necessarily see it.

No doubt I overwork the areas. 

Then I have to wait a good 4 days for that to heal before I can hit it again. 

I'm using a Gillette 4 blade thingy, and shaving foam.  

I do have a cheap electric foil shaver which I havent fully tested in between razor shaves, so maybe that will be less harsh. 

Any tips or ideas? 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    I use a Phillips 5000 series. I use it everyday and as long as you keep it clean it works well. 

I doubt its it’s as close as a wet shave with a proper blade but it’s a lot kinder on the skin, and it can’t be that far off. 

It’s fine against the grain. 

I used to use beard trimmers (and I’ve tried a lot of them) but they just don’t get as close. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Get the girls down at the local beauty salon to do you a full wax. It might make a change for them to to the other end of the body.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited June 2019
    I wet shave with a Gillette Power Fusion and any old gel every 2 days, been bald a long time though so the leather is tough. Never get any skin issues. It may be the foam you are using that's causing the irritation??

I started going bald at 24 so went No.1 clippers for years then finally went wet shave bald around 40 when most of it was gone.

Chicks love it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    edited June 2019
    Where do you live Mr Werx ? I ask as I’m at college part time doing a barber course at the moment. It means I’ve got pretty much every shaving implement both old school and modern to hand . You are welcome to try a few out before you splash out .  I’m in Dorset in case that’s anywhere near you ?

EDIT - personally if you didn’t want to go the wet shave route I’d look at a Phillips one blade if you struggle with close shaves as they don’t shave too close so you may not get rashes. If that’s not a concern then a Wahl detailer is the tool of choice at our place.
  • Hair clippers with the guard off does me, not super close but I prefer a bit of “shadow” to full on scalp. 
    Occaisionally slap some moisturiser on when it gets a bit dry. 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Hair clippers with the guard off does me, not super close but I prefer a bit of “shadow” to full on scalp. 
    Same for me , with a few wet shaves during the summer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I just use a two blade wet razor but with BP aqueous cream instead of shaving foam - it's cheap as chips, moisturising whilst you drag the razor around, and gets a good close result without having to go against the grain.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • I shave with an electric razor thingymajig. I dunno what they're called. Too busy getting the ladiez mingez wet.

Bye!

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    Fairly cheap 2 blade with lubrastrip. Wet shave with King of Shaves gel. Generally go with the grain. Tilt your head to reduce the creases. I'd have thought 4 blades were overkill. The razor's head might be to big to get into creases. I haven't touched foam in forever. It always allowed razor burn. 
  • GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
    edited June 2019
    I’ve been shaving my head for more than twenty years now, both wet and dry.

Wet shaving is a faff, and I rarely do it. 

I’ve got a set of Wahl “Balding Clippers” that shave incredibly close right out of the box, but I have ‘zero gapped’ them, so that in the 3 minutes it takes me to do my head every fortnight, I can get the stubble down to under 0.25mm.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Just hair clippers, it's not as close but it leaves your skin alone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Those Gillette multiblade ones are all terrible in my view. A ladies' Venus leg razor may be better for head shaving maybe?

For face shaving I use a merkur showing it other with actual razor blades in it, and a Phillips One Blade when I can't be arsed. The One blade came with an attachment which may be useful for head shaving? That said I cut myself more with the Oneblade than I do with the actual razor
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    I've used various wet shaves and found that it's best not to use a new blade. I use a new one on my face and when it's two or three days old it's better on the head.

Also recently with early starts for work I've started shaving my head and face on Friday with zero clippers. Beard and sides grow out in the week repeat Friday. I use a wet shave for weddings parties etc. 
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    If your skin is getting sore you need to be using shaving cream before shaving and a moisturiser after.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    edited June 2019
    Try aTurkish barber for a treat and see you react with that
  • PhilW1 said:
    Hair clippers with the guard off does me, not super close but I prefer a bit of “shadow” to full on scalp. 
    Same for me , with a few wet shaves during the summer

Me too. I've got a rechargeable waterproof clipper & buzz my bonce a couple of times a week in the shower.
    Quick & easy... Until I forget to change them & end up looking like I've got mange. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Those Gillette multiblade ones are all terrible in my view. A ladies' Venus leg razor may be better for head shaving maybe?

For face shaving I use a merkur showing it other with actual razor blades in it, and a Phillips One Blade when I can't be arsed. The One blade came with an attachment which may be useful for head shaving? That said I cut myself more with the Oneblade than I do with the actual razor
    Forgot to mention with the Oneblade, it can depend how susceptible you are to earworms, I'm very susceptible and every time I use it I find myself muttering "Oneblade is all it takes, to fall in love with maeeee"
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Maybe counterintuitive but you could try shaving more often but less aggressively. That might toughen up the skin.