Having a hard time choosing a cabinet for a marshall 20 watter. Please help!!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I've just ordered a Marshall Studio Classic head.
I need to get a cab to go with it, I sold all my cabs last year and for now I've got a lend of an H&K 2x12.

The whole idea was to downsize from a 100 watt JCM800 and a 4x12 to something more practical both volume and transport wise.

I've never been a huge fan of marshall cabs, and I particularly hate the mono/stereo jack sockets that they have.

So, I'm looking for a decent quality cab with suoiable speakers that'll get the best out of my new amp that doesn't weigh a ton and is decent quality, preferably vertical.

So I've had a few ideas -

2nd hand I've seen for sale near me -

Marshall 1966a. Seen a few for sale, they seem keenly priced, but I've no idea if they're any good or not. Are they play or MDF? What are those 80's g12t-75 speakers like??

Orange Jim Root 2x12 but I've no experience of the "voice of the world" speakers.

I've also considered at new cabs like Zilla, which are more expensive and loaded with g12m creambacks, but maybe they're worth it/?!! Still a heavy cab though, I'd wnat to make sure it was perfect for my needs before spending that type of money.

The Harley Benton 2x12 vertical is out of stock, and I don;t know anyone who's had one so can;t comment on the quality or sound.

Has anyone got any advice or suggestions??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Personally, I'd get the matching SC 2x12 cab.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    The 1966 is a ply shell, but with a particle-board back. (I'm pretty sure - the shell is definitely ply though.) Probably the perfect cab if you want the authentic 80s sound and look. If they're the original speakers, the G12T-75s should be the first version with the vented magnets, which do sound quite different from the later ones - better, in my opinion. If not, a pair of G12-65s shouldn't be too hard to find, or a 65 and a G12-80.

The side handles on them aren't great - they're the little 'letterbox' ones - but it would be easy enough to cut them out for a pair of full-size crossbar handles.

There are also the 1931 (I think) 1x12" cabs which were designed for the small version of the Mosfet 100 head - a pair of those would look great as a full stack, but I can't remember for certain whether the dimensions will be right for the SC20 to fit on top. Also rare.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Twinfan said:
    Personally, I'd get the matching SC 2x12 cab.
    This, the V-Types arent bad speakers and you can always sell them on if they're not your thing. Can't go wrong with greenbacks with this sort of amp. I tried it through my V30/Creamback H 2x12 which sounded great too.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

TTBZ said:

This, the V-Types arent bad speakers and you can always sell them on if they're not your thing. Can't go wrong with greenbacks with this sort of amp. I tried it through my V30/Creamback H 2x12 which sounded great too.
    It still baffles me that Marshall haven't put G12M-25s and G12H-30s in the Studio Vintage cabs and G12-65s and G12T-75s in the Studio Classics.

Yes, I know, money and all that, and the V-Types are cheaper - but these aren't meant to be cheap amps and cabs, they're meant to capture the sound of specific classic amps which are associated with specific speakers.

And the idea of putting a 10" in the combos is just ludicrous, no matter what it sounds like.

Just do it right and be done with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    You could buy my unloaded 2x12 for cheap as cheap and put your own speakers in it

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/150640/fs-2x12-speaker-cab-unloaded
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    80s Marshall 1936 cab with G12T-75s.  I have same with the original non-vented 75s and it sounds great imo.

So great I bought a second set of original 75s for backup.  They're the vented ones but didn't sound as good as the original non-vented ones.  But from what I heard about where they came from I guess they haven't ever been broken in properly despite their age, so ICBM's advice is undoubtedly on the money.

Which reminds me, must give the vented ones some air time...
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I’ve just got a cab from Zilla that is similar to the 1966a, actually a bit smaller (59cm square).

Not on the website yet but I think it will be from what Paul told me.

Ive got it loaded with a Neo Creamback and V30. Sounds great. Really full sound even though it’s quite a small cab.  Very easy to move around.

Also looks great as a mini half stack!
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I ran my 2061X for years with a Zilla 1x12 open back which I chose purely because it would be light. Sounded great, used it on a bunch of sessions and my old Guitar Techniques column. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1462
    edited June 2019
    1966a are great cabs, ply apart from the back panel. Sound even better semi open back.

2061cx are great too.

I would buy @John_A ;;; Stoneham 2x12 with Creamback though, same size as the 2061, all ply and a pair of creambacks, cheap as chips as well!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Cheers for the notification @photek I think I must have had a few too many beers when I listed that, I was sure I'd put £275 :)

Here it is:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/148363/engl-ironball-and-stoneham-2x12-cab#latest
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23953
    I'm using the Jet City 2x12 with mine.

It's a bit bright at lowTV watching volume - but epic when cranked.

http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/jca24splus/

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Depending on the sounds you like I'd look for a G1265 or a humble Greenback is an option at that power rating 

I like the greenback like hat because the harder you push it (and it's not rated high) the more its character comes through - it's middley in a nice way and sits ace in a band mix. Also when not being pushed they don't clank and ting in the high end (technical terms there...) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Get a 1x12 montage cab from Lean business with your driver of choice. Nice and compact with a great sound.

• I thought these went almost immediately, and I'm surprised they are still up for grabs. These are the answer to your problem!
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    IS there any compromise in sound between using 1x12 cabs and 2x12? I;ve thought of doign this in the past.but don't know anyone that does it!

IS there any compromise in sound between using 1x12 cabs and 2x12? I;ve thought of doign this in the past.but don't know anyone that does it!
    It sounds different. Two speakers in one box interact with each other, two in separate boxes don't. Which you prefer is going to be a matter of taste, so it may be a compromise or an improvement...

• photekphotek Frets: 1462
    edited June 2019

I used 2 Montage 1x12 cabs for a while. It was quite handy but in the end took up more boot space that a 2061cx 2x12 cab.

They did give quite a good spread of sound as you can point them where you like and have them flat on the floor, upright or stacked.

Obviously your 20w Marshall will be a little more in proportion compared to my YJM :)
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    photek said:

I used 2 Montage 1x12 cabs for a while. It was quite handy but in the end took up more boot space that a 2061cx 2x12 cab.

They did give quite a good spread of sound as you can point them where you like and have them flat on the floor, upright or stacked.

Obviously your 20w Marshall will be a little more in proportion compared to my YJM :)
    Yep my 20 watter would definitely be easier to balance on the top!!
  • s_andrewss_andrews Frets: 3
    I've got a Marshall 1931A 1x12 sat doing nothing atm, if you're interested? Modelled on a scaled down 4x12, so has an angled front. Looks pretty cool, open back and a G12T-75. Shoot me a PM if you're tempted?