Gibson warning video over trademark infringements

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11741
    A good posting

There is another potential area that Gibson might decide to explore to protect what they believe to be their IPL - And that is to build into their dealership agreements that dealers can't stock/sell the other new guitar brands that Gibson see as a threat

Like fixed price agreements this might not be legal/viable in the EU, but in the USA it will be and I dare say in other countries as well
    However ... we will probably soon not be part of the EU ...
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Gibson try that idea with someone like Lee Anderton...

"If you want to sell Gibson guitars, you can't sell PRS any more..."

"Erm, no, we will continue as before"

"We won't supply you any stock!..."

"Yes you will"

etc...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    A while ago he posted a meme of someone stepping in shit and under their shoe was aFender shaped guitar alongside it he wrote “Come at me Fender” How very professional.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Gibson try that idea with someone like Lee Anderton...

Lee Anderton would bend over and try to be accommodating as possible, just like he did with Mesa...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A while ago he posted a meme of someone stepping in shit and under their shoe was aFender shaped guitar alongside it he wrote “Come at me Fender” How very professional.
    Yeah I saw that, Funny thing is i bet he made a tonne of commission selling old Fenders at Norms and was no doubt singing their praises then. Don't bite the hand that feeds you Mark....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Gibson try that idea with someone like Lee Anderton...

Lee Anderton would bend over and try to be accommodating as possible, just like he did with Mesa...

He wouldn't do that again, and he got his own back.

Pictured in the middle, a very talented man who is on Lee's team now.

• Lee Anderton would bend over and try to be accommodating as possible, just like he did with Mesa...

He wouldn't do that again, and he got his own back.

Pictured in the middle, a very talented man who is on Lee's team now.
    He did what he had to do to keep his account with Mesa, irrespective of how much this highlighted just how much 'profit' trumps 'integrity'.

He'd do it again if not doing so would adversely affect his bottom line, although now he would probably take a lot more care to avoid such a situation arising in the first place.

As for Pete Honore, rather then being a direct employee of Mesa wasn't he just a hired gun shilling for anyone who would pay him to do so, and he just happened to be the one who Mesa got to plug the Cab Clone?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14175
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Watched it now. I understand what they're trying to say and why, but the bombastic delivery is laughable and the not-looking-to-camera is massively irritating, especially in close-up.
    agree with you - I understand what he is trying to say - No matter if you agree with it or not - But it is the delivery - 'We are coming to get you' - Sounds like another USA presidential threat to another poor 3rd world country
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    He did what he had to do to keep his account with Mesa, irrespective of how much this highlighted just how much 'profit' trumps 'integrity'.

He'd do it again if not doing so would adversely affect his bottom line, although now he would probably take a lot more care to avoid such a situation arising in the first place.
    Yes he would, and he would also have a lot more clout than he did back then as well.

Seriously, there is no way he would f**k off PRS to keep selling Gibson, and Gibson don't have the clout to make him, I suspect they make up fairly even parts of his sales.

TBH - I don't think they would try, the whole thing seems to have created a lot of bad feeling they didn't need anyhow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    it'll be interesting to see if people's money goes to Gibson rather than another brand selling a good guitar for less and if the logo isn't so important in future then they're really fucked unless they sort themselves out

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    seems to me that we're living in a veritable golden age of guitar makers, both electric and acoustic. There is so much choice out there, from quality budget models right up to seriously high quality boutique makers. At the top end of the market, both acoustic and electric, it'll be hard for leviathans like Gibson etc, to compete with these small, lean organisations, the only real advantage they have is the name. That video reeked to me of them becoming more a brand management company rather than a maker of musical instruments. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    VimFuego said:
    That video reeked to me of them becoming more a brand management company rather than a maker of musical instruments. 
    Just like Levis.....!
  • VimFuego said:
    seems to me that we're living in a veritable golden age of guitar makers, both electric and acoustic. There is so much choice out there, from quality budget models right up to seriously high quality boutique makers. At the top end of the market, both acoustic and electric, it'll be hard for leviathans like Gibson etc, to compete with these small, lean organisations, the only real advantage they have is the name. That video reeked to me of them becoming more a brand management company rather than a maker of musical instruments. 
    This is true. And whilst Gibson probably still make great guitars, there is a world of choice out there. Rather than them bitching about how much choice there is and how unfair it is that people aren't buying Gibson because of other brands out there, they need to focus on bringing something to the table. Something that makes people perk up and take notice.

Which they've tried before and unfortunately failed; ie - Robot guitars.

But you don't stop at your one failed idea. You keep going, and that's what they need to do.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10240
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    I hear Micky Mouse is making a video complaining that many other mice are using fake, Gibson made ears sliced off 335 guitars ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
    edited June 2019
    ICBM said:
    Watched it now. I understand what they're trying to say and why, but the bombastic delivery is laughable and the not-looking-to-camera is massively irritating, especially in close-up.
    agree with you - I understand what he is trying to say - No matter if you agree with it or not - But it is the delivery - 'We are coming to get you' - Sounds like another USA presidential threat to another poor 3rd world country
    Spot on... the most depressing thing about this the tone - very 2019.

On another recurring 2019 -theme: fake news/disinformation:

I read the latest Guitar.com review of the new Gibson 60th R9. The editorial seemed to indicate that many of the new appointments that made it the most accurate reissue ever where new for 2019,  from my understanding many of particular ones they mentioned have crept in since 2013/14. Yes some things like silk screen position etc has changed, but other where carry over from previous years it did feel a little misleading.

Not really that bothered and it may have been lazy journalism or excessive pandering from the author and not on Gibson's direction.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402

Yes he would, and he would also have a lot more clout than he did back then as well.

Seriously, there is no way he would f**k off PRS to keep selling Gibson, and Gibson don't have the clout to make him, I suspect they make up fairly even parts of his sales.

TBH - I don't think they would try, the whole thing seems to have created a lot of bad feeling they didn't need anyhow.
    John from Peach has said on Facebook a while ago (in a guitar group) that the balance between PRS and Gibson sales is not even close - Gibson outsells by a massive ratio. Peach are not a small PRS dealer either. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 300
    Funny fact: If I have to "play authentic" (whatever that means), I will have to buy a Bigsby guitar. But Bisgby now it is owned by Gretsch... in which Fender has shares.

So Mark Agnesi just referred me to his biggest competitor. 

Well played, Mark. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 300
    Funny fact 2: this is the only video ever that actually needs Mark's wife. 

Just imagine that fake, high-pitched laugh after "Gibson has been innovating for years", "Competitors, you've been warned" and "Only a Gibson is good enough".
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14175
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:

John from Peach has said on Facebook a while ago (in a guitar group) that the balance between PRS and Gibson sales is not even close - Gibson outsells by a massive ratio. Peach are not a small PRS dealer either. 
    Agree - Gibson dwarf the sales figures of PRS - Hard to get exact figures at the moment, as with Gibson we need guitar sales only and not the total turnover inc all Henry's acquisitions, but it is getting on for 10 times larger

Such discussions go on all the time with retailers and suppliers/distributors - Retailers request a sole dealership for a certain size of population, be it the town, county etc , with no competitors stocking brand A within a certain boundary - Less of an issue today with mail order, the web and a more global market place - In return suppliers want a commitment to support their brand within that dealership - Turnover potential is just part of the package - Display + merchandise come into play as well

The suppliers will often ask the question to the dealer 'you don't want us to supply dealer A who is your competitor' but on the other hand you go and stock brand B which is our competitor
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom