Unpopular Opinion? Megadeth>>>>Metallica

What's Hot

Comments

• No one’s mentioned Youthanasia. Between both bands it’s the album I’ve listened to most. Probably too soft for the purists, fantastic harmonies and hooks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4131
    No one’s mentioned Youthanasia. Between both bands it’s the album I’ve listened to most. Probably too soft for the purists, fantastic harmonies and hooks. 
    It's a great album by the classic line-up, but yes it's quite commercial. Great set of the songs though and they were on good form on that tour. The only downside to that album is they took the advice of the producer to play all the songs at the same pace. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    Countdown to Extinction is brilliant . Agree with Youthanasia having the same pace throughout !
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Loved Megadeth as a teenager. Countdown is still one of my all time favourite albums. Been listening to it a lot recently actually. I love all the Metallica albums up to the black album... after that, I’m not really a fan, much as I want to be. Those first four albums are incredible though.

Has anyone listened to the remastered versions of the Megadeth albums? Particularly Countdown and Youthanasia... I was really surprised. It all sounded very different and I couldn’t stand the production. Is it really that noticeable, or am I off my head?
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    So everyone knows that megadeth are objectively terrible but the problem is that Metallicas have been terrible from St Anger onwards that they might still be worse when taken on average.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    So everyone knows that megadeth are objectively terrible but the problem is that Metallicas have been terrible from St Anger onwards that they might still be worse when taken on average.
    "everyone knows" hmmmm I don't, :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    Megadeth for me. Mustaine's voice might not be all that, but I think it's perfectly suited for his angst-like lyrics. He's happens to be a better lyricist than Hetfield too. The World Needs a Hero was a 2000 release and is a great album. It deserves a mention.

And FWIW Testament were MUCH better than Metallica yet they received nowhere near as much recognition. Alex Skolnick... what an incredibly underrated player.

That said, I do like Metallica. Hetfield's right arm is a machine.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Testament were very good. Also Onslaught briefly 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    andyp said:

Has anyone listened to the remastered versions of the Megadeth albums? Particularly Countdown and Youthanasia... I was really surprised. It all sounded very different and I couldn’t stand the production. Is it really that noticeable, or am I off my head?
    The remasters are awful.  I swear on Killing.... and Peace Sells that they haven’t just remastered the drums, they completely re-recorded them. 
    Which is hugely disrespectful to the late Gar Samuelson. In fact it’s fucking criminal. 

Both bands did great things in the 80’s and should probably have retired 10 years ago.  I wouldn’t cross the road to see Metallica live these days.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Megadeth by a long way for me... I bought Rust in Peace and Youthanasia while doing work experience as a teenager.. it took me a while to 'get' it, but when it clicked it totally blew my mind. I'd liked metallica before that, but nothing really stacked up.

As much as i totally rate Chris Broderick, his were the only albums i didn't really get into from their catalogue. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4772
    Jeez, well I'm actually surprised as I'd say the balance of this thread is agreeing with the OP, yet Metallica are far and away the biggest of the two (not saying that's the best metric for measuring at all before anyone jumps in). I wonder if the Black Album had never been released, would people still say the same? I'm not fussed as I like em both, but I'd still say Metallica write the better songs (well, James anyway).

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22689
    edited June 2019
    RobDavies said:
    andyp said:

The remasters are awful.  I swear on Killing.... and Peace Sells that they haven’t just remastered the drums, they completely re-recorded them. 
    Which is hugely disrespectful to the late Gar Samuelson. In fact it’s fucking criminal. 

Are these the remasters from 2004?  I must admit I never compared that closely, and nowadays I only listen to whichever version is on Spotify.  I must dig out all the old CDs and compare.

The one I was aware of is the MD.45 album, where Mustaine said he "couldn't find" Lee Ving's vocal tracks, so he re-recorded them himself.  So I guess it's no surprise if he tampered with other things.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    beed84 said:
    Megadeth for me. Mustaine's voice might not be all that, but I think it's perfectly suited for his angst-like lyrics. He's happens to be a better lyricist than Hetfield too. The World Needs a Hero was a 2000 release and is a great album. It deserves a mention.

And FWIW Testament were MUCH better than Metallica yet they received nowhere near as much recognition. Alex Skolnick... what an incredibly underrated player.

That said, I do like Metallica. Hetfield's right arm is a machine.
    Testament are awesome, Alex Skolnick is a phenomenal player. I saw them live a couple of years ago and they blew me away, I would put them along with Kreator and Exodus above the big four any day of the week. Exodus's War is my shepherd is a monster of a song!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4995
    Ride The Lightning over anything Megadeth ever did.

Post 80s and I'm not sure I'd listen to either of them much. The same goes for Exodus, Testament and Kreator as well.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Nowadays I'd say I prefer Megadeth by some distance, but Metallica got me into metal in the first place so I always owe them that.

Although for thrash I'm one of those weird ones who much prefers (80s) Anthrax over any of them.
    RobDavies said:
    andyp said:

Both bands did great things in the 80’s and should probably have retired 10 years ago.  I wouldn’t cross the road to see Metallica live these days.  
    Cheers, I thought it was just me. :)

The remastered Countdown seems as if it's a new album and immediately sounded shite to me. I have listened to the original one so many times since it came out that it's basically seared into my brain. Even the opening drum run to Skin o My Teeth is different. They've lost loads of heft and weight in the songs and I'm pretty sure they have used different takes in places. It just sounds really bad and trebly and just... half finished... which is crazy.

I've not heard the remasters as I have the original CDs still, and the rips of them. Shame they don't sound as good. Countdown especially set a very high standard for metal production on release and I'm surprised it needed any tinkering with. 

Shit. Dave Mustaine's just announced he's got throat cancer. 

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Reverend said:
    Ride The Lightning over anything Megadeth ever did.

Post 80s and I'm not sure I'd listen to either of them much. The same goes for Exodus, Testament and Kreator as well.
    I’d agree on most points but The Gathering is a hell of an album and is equally as good as any of Testament’s eighties output. 
    Shit. Dave Mustaine's just announced he's got throat cancer. 
    No way. :(