Princeton 6.3v Heater Wiring

On the Fender Princeton schematic the 6.3v heaters are connected via the pilot light, but it doesn't give a specific diagram for the actual connection, it just states "to all heaters".

Does it matter how the heaters are wired, I.E the polarity (not that this is mentioned at all) between pins 2 & 7 on the output tube sockets and pins 4/5 & 9 on the preamp tubes?

I take it that providing the sockets are wired consistently (Keeping the same pins fed from the same source wires across the various tube sockets) it should work ok?

Thanks, as ever, in advance.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    Yes it does. AC hum from the heater supply is proportional to the current flowing, so run the supply from the transformer to the following in order:

Pilot light
    Output valves
    Preamp valves in reverse order (first stages last)

• HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Thanks @Keefy.  However, I was more interested in which wires (-/+) go to which pins rather than the specific order of which tubes are wired first.  The logical layout of the components in the chassis more or less dictates which sockets are wired first and last.

Does it matter which way the polarity connects to relevant pins of the sockets?  I assume it doesn't otherwise the schematic would say so, but I also assume it should be consistent, I.E., pins 4/5 and 9  on the preamp sockets and 2 & 7 on the output sockets all get juice from the same source, if that makes any sense?

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    It's an AC supply of 6.3V, there is no polarity to worry about like there could be with a DC supply feeding active components.

Some say that being consistent with the same half of the supply to same valve base pins matter, others say not.  I've not tested it either way but usually wire in a consistent fashion just in case.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Ah, great, that’s good to know. Thank you @springhead. ;

I’ll get the soldering iron out soon. 

Cheers

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    It's an AC supply of 6.3V, there is no polarity to worry about like there could be with a DC supply feeding active components.

Sorry, I disagree. Mismatched phasing in a parallel AC heater circuit can cause all sorts of unwanted noise.

This is how I do it:

Octal pins 2 feeding Noval pins 4/5.

Octal pins 7 feeding Noval pins 9
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Interesting. Other than keeping it consistent is there some absolute reason for your method ie what happens if you reverse the phase between the octal and noval valves?