Is it possible to improve a squier strat?

What's Hot
LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
edited June 2019 in Guitar
Can't remember if I've asked this before so apologies if I've repeated myself.

Got a 1998 Fender squier strat, was my first ever I got from mum and dad when I was 13/14. About 7 years ago I put a Seymour Duncan "Everything Axe set" into it and although it plays better than the stock pickups I'm still not 100% happy with how it sounds. I can't sell it as its got sentimental value.

What else can I do to improve the sound a bit? Might put BKP's in there but don't know what one to get. Also I may change pots and I've been advised to put a base plate as well, how does that affect/improve the tone?

Cleans aren't shimmery enough and lack warmth. Dirty tone the sound is brittle and lacks low end.

If you imagine the David Gilmour/Eric Clapton custom guitar tones and the Green Day "Dookie" album dirty sound that's the kinda sounds I'm after! Jut without spunking thousands on the actual guitars. Haha.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4132
    Have a look at Iron Gear pickups. They are inexpensive but sound fantastic.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    What don't you like about the sound at the moment?
    Seymour Duncan have a tone chart on their website which may help.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    JD50 said:
    What don't you like about the sound at the moment?
    Seymour Duncan have a tone chart on their website which may help.
    Lack of warmth on cleans, and weak dirty sound, brittle and no balls/bite
    Rabs said:
    Put a humbucker in it 

:D
    My temptation was to put a JB in the bridge, the full size one, not the Jnr.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    You could try a set of fender lace sensors - or one in the bridge to fatten it up
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader
    Have a look at Iron Gear pickups. They are inexpensive but sound fantastic.
    Any particular one? They got some good reviews on there, I'm tempted to whack one set in there as they're not really expensive!
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    edited June 2019
    If replacing the pick ups again is an option I would look at Oil City pick ups. The Stone tones are great and you could have an overwound bridge pick up with a base plate. A steel tremolo block might help a bit. Better quality pots might also be worth a go. 
    Don't touch that dial.
    Fez said:
    If replacing the pick ups again is an option I would look at Oil City pick ups. The Stone tones are great and you could have an overwound bridge pick up with a base plate. A steel tremolo block might help a bit. Better quality pots might also be worth a go. 
    Yeah if I can't achieve anything by leaving the pickups in there I will change them out again. I only got the SD set just to get something else in there instead of the crappy stock ones.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11286
    Practice more, it'll sound better.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 538
    Apart from your choice of pickups and pots (250K vs 500K etc) for not much money you can potentially add the Fender Mex Bridge with bigger block and bent steel saddles - check the dimensions on string spacing and screws holes on your guitar. I used Fender 0071014049 .. sourced from Rich tone if I remember right. A definite improvement on the standard Squier unit on my guitar. Some folks swear that tremolo springs have an impact too so given the sentimental value you may as well do those too. My Squier ('97) is much more 'stratty' with those things done. Mind you I have cloth ears and would find it hard to articulate it better than 'stratty-ness'.  There is loads of further reading on the subject on the dedicated Squier talk forum.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, and stick it through some sort of Big Muff or clone if you want low-end on your dirty tone.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Just replace everything under the scratch plate, there is no unicorn jizz in a USA guitar, it’s all components that you can put on a squire.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    What kind of Squier is it? Any pics?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    Its a Chinese made one, YN7 serial no.

These were taken about 5 years ago.

Realised I didn't have a photo of the headstock so took this one just now:

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    Dont they have thinner than normal bodies? Meaning a new trem block will be too long?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The YN Yako strats are supposed to be full thickness.  You would hope those SD pickups are capable given their price!
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Bridge humbucker. CTS pots.Job done.