SORTED - Dirty Power/noisy amps

What's Hot
CastroCastro Frets: 512
edited June 2019 in Amps
Problem - old house with old wiring and dirty/noisy power makes my amps noisy (Swart AST, Vox AC10, Morgan MVP23 and RSA35).

Question - is it worth getting some kind of mains conditioner and if so, any recommendations?

Thanks people.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

You are most unlikely to have "dirty" mains in the UK. If the amp are noisy in respect of hum and general "twitchyness" you might be missing an earth!

First off, buy a Martingale socket tester but if that does not give helpful results get a lekky in.

Expensive I know but electrocution can really spoil your day (even worse should it be a loved one) and fires very hard to get over and IF the house wiring is the cause you will not get a bean off the insurers!

Dave.

• CastroCastro Frets: 512
    Cheers @ecc83 ;
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    ecc83 said:

Expensive I know but electrocution can really spoil your day (even worse should it be a loved one) and fires very hard to get over and IF the house wiring is the cause you will not get a bean off the insurers!

Dave.

Not necessarily true, it is a complex area of insurance (as we all know insurance companies can be utterly disgraceful) however we have had experience of claiming against fire damage relating to faulty house electrics.

Still 100% worth getting it checked out as the pain and grief caused if something does go wrong is far worse!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    photek said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

Not necessarily true, it is a complex area of insurance (as we all know insurance companies can be utterly disgraceful) however we have had experience of claiming against fire damage relating to faulty house electrics.

Still 100% worth getting it checked out as the pain and grief caused if something does go wrong is far worse!

Well, yes, if you had just moved into a place and it just went up and you had no or little knowledge of the state of the electrics or were a little old lady who knew jack about it. Not totally sure of no pay out but insurance co's will wriggle and a guy with several ELECTRIC guitar amps (and GKs what else?) can hardly claim total ignorance?

But again. THAT is just money.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom