Toy Story 4 - looks good!

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
Just watched the trailer, well actually I didn't see it all, if I decide I want to watch a movie I tend to stop watching the trailer at that point as it's only going to give away stuff. I keep thinking that they can't possibly keep the Toy Story quality going but it does look very good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmiIUN-7qhE
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I must confess I haven’t liked a Disney movie since Big Hero 6. I think they go to the well too often, but this does look very good. I think the franchise is too big for them to cock it up like they did with Pirates of the Caribbean.

My two favourite films so far this year have been “children’s films” (Missing Link and Lego Movie 2) so I’m curious to see if this is better*.

* Blates won’t be better than Lego 2.
  • Toy Story is (to my mind) the best movie trilogy ever. 

I REALLY want this to be good, although TS3 put my emotions though the wringer- I'll need to keep hydrated if TS4 is half as manipulative. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    Toy Story is (to my mind) the best movie trilogy ever. 

I REALLY want this to be good, although TS3 put my emotions though the wringer- I'll need to keep hydrated if TS4 is half as manipulative. 
    The bit in TS2 where Jessie gets rescued from under the bed but then put out for the charity shop van is one of the most heartbreaking scenes in any film.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    ICBM said:

The bit in TS2 where Jessie gets rescued from under the bed but then put out for the charity shop van is one of the most heartbreaking scenes in any film.
    Indeed. TS2 has another bit I love when they go to rescue Jessie at the airport. They open the case and she's all curled up like she has given up, and yet her friends have come to save her against the odds. The start as well, when Woody is absolutely devastated at being left, has an arm that doesn't work, and yet goes into action to save Wheezy. They are amazing stories of being there for your friends. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    A friend of mine worked at Pixar whilst this was in preproduction.  Generally, none of the staff were excited about it, and classed it as a money maker.  The only thing that gave it hope was that John Lasseter was at the helm, but that didn't last.

I'm apprehensive about it, because it has been so good in the first three movies, it has to be amazing to carry the flame.

However, I generally trust Pixar.  Even their 'shit' films, are great to me (Good Dino, Cars 3 etc...)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    TS2 also contains the funniest line in any film I’ve seen in a cinema...

”No Buzz, I am your father.”

Every adult in the place - probably most of roughly my age, 13 in 1980 - was doubled up laughing, with the kids looking very puzzled as to what was so funny :).

Simply great writing, consistently from start to finish. It’s not just a great animated series, it’s a great movie series.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    The theme tune to Toy Story is the best nostalgia trip ever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Was looking forward to this but having seen several different trailers it doesn’t look good. 

Hope it surprises me 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I’ve got a feeling they should have left it.... Perfect at 3 films  B)
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    edited June 2019
    ICBM said:

When I took my son to see TS3 I had tears rolling down my cheeks at the end when Andy is saying goodbye. I've developed a Pavlovian response to that scene, I start crying everytime I see it.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    edited June 2019
    I think they’ve milked this franchise for all its worth already.  I have zero interest in the fourth instalment. Hope I’m wrong, and it’s not just a shameless cash in. 

Have heard that for the first time ever, there is no Pixar ‘short’ before the film. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    TheMarlin said:
    I think they’ve milked this franchise for all its worth already.  I have zero interest in the fourth instalment. Hope I’m wrong, and it’s not just a shameless cash in. 

Have heard that for the first time ever, there is no Pixar ‘short’ before the film. 
    I was concerned as well - but all reports are that they've done a really good job with it and it doesn't feel like a cash in at all as there was always a plan for a 4th and final film. 

All the reviews have been glowing thus far, so hopefully it's as good as they say. 

Toy Story is by far my favourite film trilogy of all time. I can barely watch 3 without balling and I'm really excited for this last instalment. 

Now booked for Friday. Can not wait! 
  • Wasn't a huge fan of the third one but the first two are brilliant.

I thought it was going to be left as a trilogy - pixar running out of ideas? 

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

Agree with this. 1st 2 films unbelievably good, but the 3rd really quite 'meh'. It felt rushed, as if the usual Pixar finessing hadn't really happened. And honestly, compared to Up and Coco, it was as emotional as a wet haddock.

The best trilogy, by far, I'd wager is KungFuPanda - amazing animation, full character arcs and an ending that tied it all together. Without resorting to clichéd emotional taunts.

Adam

Kalimna said:

Agree with this. 1st 2 films unbelievably good, but the 3rd really quite 'meh'. It felt rushed, as if the usual Pixar finessing hadn't really happened. And honestly, compared to Up and Coco, it was as emotional as a wet haddock.

The best trilogy, by far, I'd wager is KungFuPanda - amazing animation, full character arcs and an ending that tied it all together. Without resorting to clichéd emotional taunts.

Adam

I guess we all have different opinions. I thought Up had a brilliant first 20 mins but sank into daftness with a hoard of talking dogs etc. Coco was undeniably superb but Kung Fu Panda I didn't much care for the first one and avoided the others.

TS3 is the least of the bunch of TS films but I still thought it a worthy addition.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5594

I'm really looking forward to TS4, I don't think Pixar would release it if it was just mediocre, but then the proof of the pudding is in the eating and we all have different tastes so maybe some will love it and other not so much.

I wasn't that blown away with TS3 but it still wasn't bad for all that, I think TS4 could be a corker.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

Axisus - talking dogs dafter than talking toys??? ;) 

Yes, it would be a shame if we all thought the same. And I would agree, a fair portion of the middle of Up isn't as good as the first 20 mins or last 5 mins.

Adam

I'm finding the fact that a lot of you weren't enamoured with TS3 a bit of a shock. The whole scene where they're in the rubbish processing plant and about to be sent into a pit of molten lava is absolutely soul destroying. Horses for courses I suppose! 

I guess having "grown up" with the franchise (I was 11 when the first one came out in 95), I'd developed a real bond with the characters.

Kalimna said:

Axisus - talking dogs dafter than talking toys??? ;) 

Absolutely! I would have loved Up if they had the courage to make a gentle movie of his travelling without the need for a bad guy, a host of bad talking dogs, etc. The journey could have been as good as the first section of the film.

TS isn't really about talking toys, it's about friendship and dealing with tough but inevitable changes that come along in life. Toys are the interesting medium for the message.

Still, I'm happy for people to disagree with me, there's room for all opinions!