Comments

• gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    ICBM said:
    Large-box Carl Martin Plexitone.
    This ^^
    wish I still had mine - foolishly sold it on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    A few people seem to be surprised that i'm not just using the origin itself.

I might get close if I seriously pushed it and stuck a TS in front, but i'm not convinced it'd get it quite where I want it. Even if it did, I wouldn't have much hope of cleaning up with the volume . 

So, i'm gonna let the origin do what I think it does best. A great dynamic crunch which cleans up beautifully on the volume. That way, I can add an EVH innabox to get basically the same deal, lovely dynamic amp feel but going between rock rhythm and face melting gain instead of clean and tasty crunch.

There's a lot less gain on these origins than you'd think. Seriously nice amps though, can't fault them for the money!
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Following this with interest. Currently I have an HX Stomp, and also use a Zoom Hyper Lead (very good) in front of it. But I mostly use the HX for modelling, delay, and modulation, and layer gain on in front from pedals. So, these are of interest.

I built a BSIAB2 and a BE-OD. Both were pretty good. The former much closer to the EVH sound, but a bit "wild" (partly my build, I think). The BE-OD, I liked, but it wasn't the sound I had in my head. And the lack of a mid control, or mids, tbh, was a bit of a problem. Sounded good, though.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    To throw another option in the ring I suggest the Keeley El Rey Dorado they used in the recent Andertons/Rabea Sound Like VH video.  Gain about 8 o clock :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Have you seen this video on the Mad Professor One that I mentioned? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L2cF_89HdM

I also get a very satisfying 80s sound from using a Fulltone OCD V1.4 stacked with a TS808, in my case, a Keeley one. However, there are clones of both and this can be achieved on the cheap but there must be other stacked combinations that can also work to achieve this and get you in that ballpark.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Evo said:
    A few people seem to be surprised that i'm not just using the origin itself.

I might get close if I seriously pushed it and stuck a TS in front, but i'm not convinced it'd get it quite where I want it. Even if it did, I wouldn't have much hope of cleaning up with the volume . 

So, i'm gonna let the origin do what I think it does best. A great dynamic crunch which cleans up beautifully on the volume. That way, I can add an EVH innabox to get basically the same deal, lovely dynamic amp feel but going between rock rhythm and face melting gain instead of clean and tasty crunch.

There's a lot less gain on these origins than you'd think. Seriously nice amps though, can't fault them for the money!
    Still, I don't get why you wouldn't just add another gain stage and have the sound of your amp but more with an SD-1 or TS...be a lot cheaper too.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • LightB4soundLightB4sound Frets: 161
    Xvive Golden Brownie or Tone City Golden Plexi aren't half bad
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    A tubescreamer/SD1 or maybe even a treble booster would actually get you there pretty easily if you've got the Origin master volume up a bit, I think they have more gain when cranked than a 1959 but not as much as a 1987x or JCM800. It needs something to tighten up the bottom and push for more saturation though, definitely. Worth a try at least if you know anyone with one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    AMT Bulava (SS-30)
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Yep, the Mad Professor 1. Like others, I’ve had this and the Pinnacle and whilst the latter is excellent, the former is perfect
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    blobb said:
    AMT Bulava (SS-30)
    Great sounding pre-amp, but IMO it's awful in to the front of an amp
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24184
    Kebabkid said:
    Have you seen this video on the Mad Professor One that I mentioned? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L2cF_89HdM

I also get a very satisfying 80s sound from using a Fulltone OCD V1.4 stacked with a TS808, in my case, a Keeley one. However, there are clones of both and this can be achieved on the cheap but there must be other stacked combinations that can also work to achieve this and get you in that ballpark.
    That demo is rather good!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72231
    Jonathanthomas83 said:

Still, I don't get why you wouldn't just add another gain stage and have the sound of your amp but more with an SD-1 or TS...be a lot cheaper too.
    Without some sort of attenuator you won't be able to get it at controllable volume. A MIAB-type preamp pedal into the amp set clean will.

The Marshall Drivemaster is a great shout, although if you specifically want EVH I still think the large-box (not the small one) Plexitone nails it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Look at Bogner La Grange - superlead on steroids - does the brown thing and a shit load more ..

small format CM plexi tone is a nice smaller budget / format option - check pete thorns demos 
  • ICBM said:
    Jonathanthomas83 said:

Without some sort of attenuator you won't be able to get it at controllable volume. A MIAB-type preamp pedal into the amp set clean will.

The Marshall Drivemaster is a great shout, although if you specifically want EVH I still think the large-box (not the small one) Plexitone nails it.
    Fair one

So, rehearsal last night and I tried a few ideas out.

Even with the master up around 3 o'clock, the TS didn't really saturate it enough. With the boost engaged, and the TS on we were getting there, but I'm not convinced I wasn't just settling for "close enough". 

The OCD model in the HX FX did the job for the night. It wasn't the sound in my head but the gain level was where it should be and everything worked nicely when I kicked the boost in and rolled the volume for cleans. 

Looks like i'll need to keep my eye on ebay and the classifieds for some bargain pedals! After watching that demo, the mad prof has just edged ahead. It may be a bit of a one trick pony, but that's exactly the trick i'm trying to pull!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    MI Crunch Box mk 2.
  • How were you setting the TS, @Evo?

@Jonathanthomas83 ;Tried two approaches, the usual gain gain down and level up gave a decent lead boost/crunch but not enough to start it compressing and get those notes zinging off the fretboard

Playing it it like a drive pedal by turning up the gain was OK, but nothing more. Better results using the TS as a boost and the OCD model for the gain. 

It’s just not a gainy amp. The TS did exactly what I thought it should, which is kick it up a notch. What I’m after is something to kick it up two notches without compromising the existing notches which are most excellent. As it stands, it’s an awesome blues amp, but i’m well aware that i’m prone to bouts of tasteless fret fondling so i’d like a bit of a plexi style comfort blanket.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited June 2019
    That sounds fair enough, @Evo. Hope you find your way with it fella.

I like the Guv'nor II, Riot and probably the Ramble FX Marvel Drive the most.