Guitar Leads... Simple Question

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I've had my Piranha leads for 20 years and my Vox coiled lead for 10 yrs. All still perfect. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    FWIW more cables get damaged when packing away than do in performance, learn how to coil cables and do it every time. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3447
    I use fender tweed custom shop cables, yet to have an issue with them, just treat them right and they should last.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    @robinbowes is now my go to. I'd rather pay a touch more and get a high quality cable that will last for years
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    I’ve repaired a lot of the Fender Custom Shop cables... the problem isn’t the cable, which is excellent, it’s the plugs - they’re flimsy and have poor cable grips - but the cable is good enough that they are worth repairing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5153
    edited June 2019
    I use Zaolla Silverline.... but fancy an Evidence Audio lead that looks like it belongs on an iron
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Apologies for the hijack, but what would be the recomendation for a speaker cable, in terms of connectors and cable? 
    Thanks,
    Adam
    Kalimna said:
    Apologies for the hijack, but what would be the recomendation for a speaker cable, in terms of connectors and cable? 
    2-core mains cable and Neutriks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Cheers ICBM - seems simple enough.

Adam
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    ICBM said:
    I’ve repaired a lot of the Fender Custom Shop cables... the problem isn’t the cable, which is excellent, it’s the plugs - they’re flimsy and have poor cable grips - but the cable is good enough that they are worth repairing.
    That cable is a PITA. Too thick. Workable, but only just. 

R. 
    edited June 2019
    robinbowes said:

That’s true, although Neutrik NP2Cs fit well and right-angle NP2Xs reasonably - it’s just straight NP2Xs that are a real problem.

It’s just such nice cable it seems a shame not to put good plugs on it...

• tone1 said:
    I use Zaolla Silverline.... but fancy an Evidence Audio lead that looks like it belongs on an iron
    I was beginning to think I was the only one who'd ever heard of them, let alone use them.

Those and Pete Cornish, which I also use,  end of errand.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    At $260 for 15 ft of cable the Zaolla stuff seems a bit of an indulgence. Has a whiff of Russ Andrews about it.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Sassafras said:
    At $260 for 15 ft of cable the Zaolla stuff seems a bit of an indulgence. Has a whiff of Russ Andrews about it.
    Even Russ Andrews guitar cables are nowhere near as costly as Zaolia.  The RA cables are top notch but not very flexible.  Great for connecting FX pedal to amp.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Enlightening thread. Thanks, people. Think I’m going to utilise the services of @robinbowes ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    robinbowes said:

That’s true, although Neutrik NP2Cs fit well and right-angle NP2Xs reasonably - it’s just straight NP2Xs that are a real problem.

You should start a small sideline selling modified Fender CS cables - the tweed ones look so cool, that's probably why people buy them, so if they could buy ones where the big weakness has been overcome they might well do so as long as it can be done realistically economically.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    thegummy said:
    ICBM said:
    robinbowes said:

You should start a small sideline selling modified Fender CS cables - the tweed ones look so cool, that's probably why people buy them, so if they could buy ones where the big weakness has been overcome they might well do so as long as it can be done realistically economically.
    I do in fact offer just such a service :)

It's still a PITA though!

R.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    I've got a 20 footer, and yes, I'm worth it...hee hee. 

I've also got a couple of the little 8 inch Zaolla patch cables - one of which I managed to fuck up, how does one actually fook up a patch cable you may very well ask, beats the shit out of me, but I have -  for when I really need to admit to having lost my mind.

It makes the Cornish stuff almost appear cheap. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    ICBM said:
    robinbowes said:

I do in fact offer just such a service :)

It's still a PITA though!

R.
    May I ask what kind of prices? I'm kind of imagining it might be too much more than normal Van Damme cables to be worth it just for the cool looking cable, even more so if it's a pain to do, but maybe I'm wrong and it's worth at least getting 1 or 2?
  • scovell001scovell001 Frets: 60
    Im into Russ Andrews cables also (used for my hifi) have found this guy for guitar cables http://shootoutguitarcables.com/

Have just just received one.

Im not a huge fan of Neutrik connectors, I found these shootout cables don’t have any more top end. Instead they  seem to have a nice 3d richness to them, compared to the cordial cgk road 75 I’ve been using.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom