Uniterruptable Power Supply

Just had a horrible gig with sound limiter. Even with an electric drum kit and low volume, the crowd singing along tripped the bloody thing! So what UPS would work for  band set up and give enough power for to bridge lots of power cuts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    Do the sums , if you know what your band draws and how long you want it to last for, include all amps pa monitors desk etc.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    They need to be quite big to take the trips. Easier and far cheaper to carry a long mains extension and plug in the kitchen or other mains plug not on the ring with the limiter. The venue must have the problem regularly if the crown sets it off, so ask what other folks do.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    @Danny1969 will know this I think, I seem to remember him saying his band uses one.

Basically you're going to need at least 1KWh (1000W for 1 hour) capacity even for a fairly modest backline and PA - up to maybe two or three times that to cover a bigger rig or a longer gig - and that isn't going to be cheap or particularly light to carry.

Running an extension lead isn't always going to go down well with the bar management. Although asking if their insurance covers damage to your equipment if the power goes off might change their minds...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    My kit cost me a lot of money so I just wouldn't play a venue with one. It amazes me the amount of shit bands have to put up with to play a gig at times. That said its not my job so perhaps different if you need the money.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    The one we did use was a huge 8U rack mounted HP UPS capable of 3KW for  15 to 20 minutes. That was man enough to keep the PA (an HK Actor DX) going and my Marshall, a Fender Twin and an Ampeg head going during trips. Unfortunately I dropped the thing packing up after a wedding and it was so heavy the case completely shattered. We still got the desk running off a 1U UPS as a power outage on a digital desk isn't a good idea as it can corrupt the show file plus reloading puts your back to the last saved state not the last settings

I was offered another big one the other day but buying used is tricky as you don't know how good the batteries are until you need them. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Better off with a small Honda Genny outside....UPS are for short duration power cuts only.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview