Helix feedback - chuffdness in rehearsal

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
Here's a bit of helix feedback.  Rehearsal - the first with a helix using a set of snapshots based around the jumped marshall.  into an active monitor.  High and low cuts in the usual places (100 ish and about 10).

Really impressive - standing in the middle of the room between the two guitars and there was no way that I could tell that one was better than the other (my mate playing an expensive fender job).  The lead sound goosed by the modeled sd1 was nice - gainy but could be cleaned up - rhythm sounds thick and very marshally.

happy.  some tweaking to be done - I've got 4 snapshots which is probably one too many and need to get better at changing the delay settings on the fly

however I can now sell my main rig and 2 x 12 cab.  To me there was no significant difference between my old rig and the new in terms of the quality of the experience.  sounds were different obvs but one not markedly better than the other.

just for the record as they say :)  I haven't tried comparing the two rigs in the same room with the band - I'm just going for sounds that work
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    What were you using for loudness - FRFR, or a power amp and cab?

I'd say keep your 2x12" - I went FRFR, but then came back to the cab with a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170, which (in my opinion) is the option that gets the best out of the Helix by far.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    FRFR.  It's less back pain!
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    nickp said:
    Which one?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    nickp said:
    I wouldn't agree - I've got a Matrix NL212, and it's lighter than the Yamaha DXR10 I had!
    <space for hire>
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    FRFR sounds completely different to amp in the room, did you not mind the difference then or do you prefer it?

Personally I play with an amp and HX effects. As hard as I’ve tried I just can’t get past the lack of thump and what an amp brings to the sound. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    The fact is that you don't get the amp-in-the-room sound with a FRFR/monitor, you get the sound of a mic'd up cab.

The issue that all users of modelling gear have to resolve is if they are happy with the sound of a mic'd up cab, or whether they want to hear amp-in-the-room sound. Neither is right or wrong, it's a personal choice.

R.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    The fact is that you don't get the amp-in-the-room sound with a FRFR/monitor, you get the sound of a mic'd up cab.

That's not necessarily true. I use a Boss GT1000 and have an split output, one without a cab and mic emulation which goes to my power amp and a 2x12 cab on stage and another output to FoH with a cab emulation and I can add a mic and change its virtual positioning. If you use an FR/FR you can do the same.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039

That's not necessarily true. I use a Boss GT1000 and have an split output, one without a cab and mic emulation which goes to my power amp and a 2x12 cab on stage and another output to FoH with a cab emulation and I can add a mic and change its virtual positioning. If you use an FR/FR you can do the same.
    I'm not sure what your point is.

You either use a real cab and get amp-in-the-room sound, or you have some sort of speaker emulation and use a FRFR (inc. Foh). Yes, you can do both with a split, in which case you're choosing that you want to hear amp-in-the-room on stage.

R.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    Yes, cabinet with the modeller will sound closer than with a FRFR, but it’s still not the same to my ears. A decent middle ground though. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    Mirobinbowes said:

I'm not sure what your point is.

You either use a real cab and get amp-in-the-room sound, or you have some sort of speaker emulation and use a FRFR (inc. Foh). Yes, you can do both with a split, in which case you're choosing that you want to hear amp-in-the-room on stage.

R.
    I think my point was that you said if you're using an FRFR you dont get the sound of an amp in the room, your get the sound of a mic'd up cab. My point was that if you turn off the mic emulation then you're excluding that sound and you just get the amp with whatever can you're using.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    I wonder how many players demanding "amp in the room sound" are also using In Ear Monitors?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I wonder how many players demanding "amp in the room sound" are also using In Ear Monitors?
    Or micing  and listening through a wedge
  • onyironyir Frets: 45
    There's a (small) number of options to run cab emulations captured with neutral mics (no mic coloration). They sound pretty good and realistic through a decent FRFR