Toto - Royal Chelsea Hospital - anybody else go?

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
Went to see Toto (again!!) on Thursday at Royal Hospital Chelsea - weather was shit but didn't spoil the fun.

In usual Welshboyo fashion, I had VIP passes so saw the soundcheck etc and had a chance to speak with them - no Paich this time as he's unwell (not in a bad way) but the rest of them Steve Porcaro, Joseph Williams and of course Lukather in fine form - Luke his normal self - full of jokes - best one was "My fingers are so cold, feels like they have been stuck in an Eskimo's anus" - this was at the soundcheck... his playing again was 1st class..as they all were really - speaking to him after soundcheck he admitted that they hadn't seen or even played together for 3 1/12 months - they just turned up in London, run through a few things at soundcheck and just blasted it!!

A few pics I took - yes, I was THAT close!!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fantastic pics @welshboyo How was Lukather's tone? I wasn't overly keen on his tone on the last tour (when he had his amps and cabs offstage)
    I see from your pics the amps and cabs are back on stage. Did you get a look at his pedalboard? Is he still using the Hardwire delays?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited June 2019
    WOW, lucky you.

I did put a post up under AOR Central and I was there. From a sound point of view, the venue worked, didn't it, which surprised me but the crap weather couldn't dampen a superb gig?

As I said before, the playing, musicianship, the execution and the sound were exceptional. Xavier X, from Snarky Puppy, did a brilliant job as a stand in for David Paich on keys and Lukather is playing so well these days with a really big, purer and great sound and not masked in effects. However, whilst they're all great, the rhythm section were the stand out for me, and I thought the same when I saw them a couple of years ago at The Royal Albert Hall. Shannon Forrest is a brilliant, award-winning drummer with a sound to match (he's firmly inbetween the Jeff Porcaro and Simon Phillips' camps) and does an excellent job and is a big deal in Nashville. Seriously, it's one of the best live drum sounds I've heard and then you have the bassist and principle backing vocalist, Shem Von Schroeck. One again, his bass sound was so clear and audible (not the dull thump you hear at gigs, especially outdoor ones) but his vocals were stunning. No surprise as he's a trained opera tenor and does that as well all around the world.

This was a class act and performance. I've seen them many a time, from the 80s onwards and you just think, they're at their peak. Not true, these guys are getting even better with time.

Thoroughly entertaining and a masterclass in music and what it's all about!

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    Fantastic pics @welshboyo How was Lukather's tone? I wasn't overly keen on his tone on the last tour (when he had his amps and cabs offstage)
    I see from your pics the amps and cabs are back on stage. Did you get a look at his pedalboard? Is he still using the Hardwire delays?

Lukather's Tone was incredible - for the soundcheck I was right in front of him  - he uses a lot of doubling delay (very short delay) which is obviously stereo panned and it sounds huge (much like your Helix patch!!) Those Helios's make a fabulous noise - surprising how much gain he uses too - he was suffering with a ground loop which was causing him real issues, especially on the higher gain stuff - his comments to his tech were - "it sounds like I'm shaving my nuts". Didn't get to see his pedalboard close up as he was in a little bit of a panic with time constraints, noise and probably jet lag...

Kebabkid said:
    WOW, lucky you.

I did put a post up under AOR Central and I was there. From a sound point of view, the venue worked, didn't it, which surprised me but the crap weather couldn't dampen a superb gig?

As I said before, the playing, musicianship, the execution and the sound were exceptional. Xavier X, from Snarky Puppy, did a brilliant job as a stand in for David Paich on keys and Lukather is playing so well these days with a really big, purer and great sound and not masked in effects. However, whilst they're all great, the rhythm section were the stand out for me, and I thought the same when I saw them a couple of years ago at The Royal Albert Hall. Shannon Forrest is a brilliant, award-winning drummer with a sound to match (he's firmly inbetween the Jeff Porcaro and Simon Phillips' camps) and does an excellent job and is a big deal in Nashville. Seriously, it's one of the best live drum sounds I've heard and then you have the bassist and principle backing vocalist, Shem Von Schroeck. One again, his bass sound was so clear and audible (not the dull thump you hear at gigs, especially outdoor ones) but his vocals were stunning. No surprise as he's a trained opera tenor and does that as well all around the world.

This was a class act and performance. I've seen them many a time, from the 80s onwards and you just think, they're at their peak. Not true, these guys are getting even better with time.

Kos, couldn't agree more - Xavier was awesome and a really humble guy too - Shannon is so so close to Jeff its spooky - best drummer Toto have had since Jeff - as good as Simon P is, he can't groove like Porcaro-  Shannon can!!

Shem's vocals are superb and again a really nice guy.

In fact they all are, no ego's - they even sang Happy Birthday to my wife!!

This could be the last time for a long time that we see Toto out on the road..I hope not...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyo said:
    Fantastic pics @welshboyo How was Lukather's tone? I wasn't overly keen on his tone on the last tour (when he had his amps and cabs offstage)
    Lukather's Tone was incredible - for the soundcheck I was right in front of him  - he uses a lot of doubling delay (very short delay) which is obviously stereo panned and it sounds huge (much like your Helix patch!!) Those Helios's make a fabulous noise - surprising how much gain he uses too - he was suffering with a ground loop which was causing him real issues, especially on the higher gain stuff - his comments to his tech were - "it sounds like I'm shaving my nuts". Didn't get to see his pedalboard close up as he was in a little bit of a panic with time constraints, noise and probably jet lag...

Kebabkid said:
    WOW, lucky you.

Kos, couldn't agree more - Xavier was awesome and a really humble guy too - Shannon is so so close to Jeff its spooky - best drummer Toto have had since Jeff - as good as Simon P is, he can't groove like Porcaro-  Shannon can!!

This could be the last time for a long time that we see Toto out on the road..I hope not...
    Sounds like a great gig! Which Helix patch were you referring to @welshboyo ?
    That's just brilliant and spot on with Shannon - the groove and feel are all there above the technical jiggerypockery.

Fabulous and I hope they're over every few years as this is a very strong line-up that works on so many levels. I'm glad you and your wife had a fabulous time :)
    welshboyo said:

Kebabkid said:
    WOW, lucky you.

Dave's "A" rig?
  • welshboyo said:
    welshboyo said:

Kebabkid said:
    WOW, lucky you.

Dave's "A" rig?
    Ahh right, yeah I was going for a Lukather style tone with that preset. I'd forgotten about that preset since I moved my Helix on. The singer in my band has asked me to dial in his recently purchased Helix for him, I may just suggest using that preset  =)
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4774
    Need to see these I think, reading Lukathers book at the mo! How was The Darkness as support? Got tickets for them in December, looking forward to it.

Anyone fancy sharing that Helix patch?!! ;)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

The Darkness were entertaining, in a Spinal Tap sort of way. And it was a strange pairing, but people liked them.

Kebabkid said:
    The Darkness were entertaining, in a Spinal Tap sort of way. And it was a strange pairing, but people liked them.

Cool, I've seen them live a few times and they've always been class. I did think it was an odd pairing too!

Ah, I didn't say they were class, just entertaining. They made me laugh, for the right reasons and JH seems like a good egg ;)
    Re the Darkness I thought Dan’s guitar sound was immense - real LP into Marshall sound - you know that sound in your head type of thing.

As a band, not really my cup of tea but Justin was very very entertaining - almost a rock star parody but there’s no doubt he can play and sing too.
    welshboyo said:
    Re the Darkness I thought Dan’s guitar sound was immense - real LP into Marshall sound - you know that sound in your head type of thing.

As a band, not really my cup of tea but Justin was very very entertaining - almost a rock star parody but there’s no doubt he can play and sing too.
    Yep, this ^
    The highlight, apart from some great banter, was the perfect handstand JH did in front of the drum kit and proceeded to simulate clapping by opening and closing his legs. Replete in a white jumpsuit and bandana, it was a sight to behold!
    welshboyo said:

Yeah Dan's tone is amazing I think and one of my fave Marshall tones. Justin is a great front man I think ;)

Kebabkid said:
    Ah, I didn't say they were class, just entertaining. They made me laugh, for the right reasons and JH seems like a good egg ;)
    :) 

Finally got around to trying this patch out. Excellent stuff, sounds great and a good lesson for me seeing as I'm a real noob with it. I don't get much time with it at the mo, but stuff like this really helps. Thanks again :)

• Boromedic said:
    Finally got around to trying this patch out. Excellent stuff, sounds great and a good lesson for me seeing as I'm a real noob with it. I don't get much time with it at the mo, but stuff like this really helps. Thanks again :)
    Really pleased you like it. It seems to still be getting steady downloads on Custom tone with a 5 star rating as well  :)