Watches, then?

What's Hot

Comments

• do these actually go up in value then?
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7402
    Neil said:
    Watches have always been my main passion..

Fine taste on the left there ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26941
    No, I haven't used it yet for a race countdown, but there's a strong possibility with Ramsgate Week going on, and some friends who have yachts. Yes, I agree, the price is obscene, but it's also an investment of sorts. Actually, I can't justify it, and sometimes wish I'd paid some cash off the mortgage instead.
    I could probably get you a high-quality Cholex in Dubai for £400. 

Whenever you to go to the gold souk, you get offered "Copy handbag? Copy rolex?" by every other bugger there. Apparently you have to go with them to their shop, complain that the quality isn't high enough and they'll take you through a door in the back to where the better stuff is. Repeat about 3 times and you end up with the really good stuff...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3619
    No, I haven't used it yet for a race countdown, but there's a strong possibility with Ramsgate Week going on, and some friends who have yachts. Yes, I agree, the price is obscene, but it's also an investment of sorts. Actually, I can't justify it, and sometimes wish I'd paid some cash off the mortgage instead.

Whenever you to go to the gold souk, you get offered "Copy handbag? Copy rolex?" by every other bugger there. Apparently you have to go with them to their shop, complain that the quality isn't high enough and they'll take you through a door in the back to where the better stuff is. Repeat about 3 times and you end up with the really good stuff...
    There is no good stuff it is all fake.

Outwardly it may look similar but like fake guitars the money is spent getting the look.

Trust me, I have seen them all.

Also why pay £400 for a fake when you can buy a perfectly good Swiss or Japanese "real" watch for that amount?
    TimmyO said:
    Neil said:

Thanks.

I've had a it for quite a few years it's a 1997/8 U series, Swiss dial.
    do these actually go up in value then?
    If you buy right second hand, or if new stick to Rolex.

Most of my stuff is now worth between  three to six  times what I paid for it, many pieces more.

Really it is all about the pleasure of ownership though, and if it makes you money as well, that's a bonus.

A bit like old guitars really.
    :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26941
    Neil said:

There is no good stuff it is all fake.

Outwardly it may look similar but like fake guitars the money is spent getting the look.

Trust me, I have seen them all.

Also why pay £400 for a fake when you can buy a perfectly good Swiss or Japanese "real" watch for that amount?
    FWIW I do completely agree with you, but the "good" fakes are really impressive. Seiko movements usually too. 

Though for my part I'm still rocking the SNZF I bought last year and even don't like the basic Carreras and Seamasters as they still amount to copy Submariners as far as I'm concerned.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I do like a nice watch although i seem to have gone beyond the stage of wanting Prestige models.

I used to own 3 Raymond Weils.
    A Tango, RW Sport Chrono and Parsifal Automatic, but one day I decided that expensive watches were not for me and sold them all.

I now have 2 Casio type £15-20 divers style watches, one G-Shock that my wife bought me,and lastly a LTD Submariner type watch which from 1m looks like a Rolex but cost me £25.

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited July 2015
    Gru said:
    I do like a nice watch although i seem to have gone beyond the stage of wanting Prestige models.

I now have 2 Casio type £15-20 divers style watches, . . . . . . 

I share your view, but I do understand people wanting high-end models.

I bought these chronographs, though I wouldn't go for for much cheaper models.

On the wrist, these look much better than most high-end models, but that is my personal opinion.

These are big watches, 44mm - 46mm in diameter without crown.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    Today a Russian Poljot Aviator...

...tomorrow, who knows?

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    edited July 2015
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7402
    Neil said:
    TimmyO said:
    Neil said:

Thanks.

I've had a it for quite a few years it's a 1997/8 U series, Swiss dial.
    Same here I believe
    Red ones are better. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12358
    This is weird. My dad gave me his 1970s automatic Seiko yonks ago. I wore it for a while, then it packed up and it's never worked for 30 odd years. A while back I asked Neil on here, who seems to be the resident watch guru, about getting it repaired: costs and if he could recommend a repair agent etc, but I've never followed it up.

A couple of days ago I was talking to my son about his grandad and mentioned I'd still got the watch. I got it out of the drawer to show him.......and it started working again.

Cue Twilight Zone music. :(
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Niallmo said:
    Very smart @Niallmo so where to you go to buy a Parnis? 

edited July 2015
    boogieman said:
    This is weird. My dad gave me his 1970s automatic Seiko yonks ago. I wore it for a while, then it packed up and it's never worked for 30 odd years. A while back I asked Neil on here, who seems to be the resident watch guru, about getting it repaired: costs and if he could recommend a repair agent etc, but I've never followed it up.

A couple of days ago I was talking to my son about his grandad and mentioned I'd still got the watch. I got it out of the drawer to show him.......and it started working again.

Cue Twilight Zone music. :(
    That is weird but I know from experience that it takes a hell of a lot to kill an old Seiko.

Great heirloom for your son too.

:)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Haven't owned one in 20 years but got my daughter a Rolex (can't remember the model but it has gold on it and a gold steel band). Doesn't do much for me but made her happy on her 18th.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    @roog eBay. You can get loads of versions.
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    BigBearKris;715616" said:
    I love watches, some of those you've posted here are truly masterpieces.
    Sadly I cannot afford any Omega or Rolex ones but I have few Tissot and Skagen ones.
    Not a lotta love for Tissot on here. Any issues with them or they're not worth price they go for?
    I'm very happy with mine - from basic 150 quid worth one up to 400+. I'm eyeing a T-touch model as I need (wow, I don't really) one for sports/gym/outdoor activities. Any opinions regarding those? Or maybe a good alternative?
    I have a Tissot PR-50 that I inherited from my grandfather. It's nothing all that special but it's stylish and a nice thing to have. I get told off for wearing it every day, but it's like, what's the point of having it if it's just going to sit in a drawer. I'm not really into watches though. My ex bought me a hideous D&G eyesore years ago and made me wear it and I hated it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    I have a couple of Steinhart watches, which I really like. I'm always on the verge of splashing out on a Panerai or something of that pedigree but am never quite able to justify it.... it's only a matter of time :D

I've been wearing this one a lot recently

• GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    Genuinely, I own my fave watch of all time.

I always have felt this are just so right in terms of detail, size and build.

However, as my reading eyesight is diminishing I may swap out for a classic Submariner at some point.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.