Watches, then?

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Just bought one of these too. Seemingly completely noise free.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Budgie said:
    I have a couple of Steinhart watches, which I really like. I'm always on the verge of splashing out on a Panerai or something of that pedigree but am never quite able to justify it.... it's only a matter of time :D

I've been wearing this one a lot recently

I like that.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    boy bling. nice.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    Niallmo;724814" said:
    @roog eBay. You can get loads of versions.
    Cheers @niallmo, I've seen a few on
    Amazon just wondered if there were other trusted suppliers

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    Any opinions on Tissot T-Touch?

I generally like Tissot and own 3 of them but T Touch gets mixed reviews. I'm looking for an outdoor/sports watch that I can wear to work too and thinking about Tissot, but maybe You can recommend any good alternative?
    I have casio g shock too, but that's bulky...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    I like a watch to tell the time, not one that looks like the cockpit panel of an aeroplane.  And it must be mechanical.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited August 2015
    do these actually go up in value then?

Yes it's possible. I bought my blue/gold Submariner in 1999 secondhand for £2,500. I sold it last year for £4,500 to help fund the new Yachtmaster 2. So if you buy the right watch, then you can make a bit, but the main thing for me is I get to wear a nice timepiece, but, crucially, not lose any money.

I bought the Yachtmaster brand new for an incredibly good price, so if necessary I could at the very least realise the same amount again by selling it. However as Rolex prices increase year on year, it's worth hanging on to it for sale later, perhaps when I need the cash.

• Ah ok interesting thanks
    Old Is Gold
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    Can anyone recommend any trusted online retailers.
    Was just about to order a Seiko from Creation but a quick google beforehand has unearthed a few horror stories.It would seem they shift a high proportion of B-stock units and hope that customers will put up with the minor faults. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I've bought two watches from creation this year - both have been perfect and arrived insanely quickly considering the distance (2 or 3 days iirc).        Might be worth checking their returns procedures to be safe though. 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    BigBearKris;715616" said:

Not a lotta love for Tissot on here.
    I have a Tissot PR-50 that I inherited from my grandfather.
    I've a Tissot - probably my favourite brand of watch. Well made and not silly priced either so they're not out of reach unless you score a big win on the lottery.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    I've bought a couple of watches from creation before as well and they've been faultless. Surprised that you've found bad reviews on them TBH, they've (generally) been recommended for quite a long time.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    John_P said:
    I've bought two watches from creation this year - both have been perfect and arrived insanely quickly considering the distance (2 or 3 days iirc).        Might be worth checking their returns procedures to be safe though. 
    its the returns policy that is the issue.

not to keen on taking faulty goods back and even if they do you have to pay postage both ways to singapore! (non refundable)
    even if you claim insurance from your credit card or paypal you still have to get the goods back to them.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    When I was looking into a Seiko Sea Urchin I eventually bought from Yorkshire Watches. Not much more expensive than Creation but a world of difference in terms of peace of mind in case something goes wrong.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    bobblehat said:
    Can anyone recommend any trusted online retailers.
    Was just about to order a Seiko from Creation but a quick google beforehand has unearthed a few horror stories.It would seem they shift a high proportion of B-stock units and hope that customers will put up with the minor faults. 

www.watchfinder.co.uk I've bought from them in the past.

and Dream Watches, they're near Southampton, I think

When I was looking into a Seiko Sea Urchin I eventually bought from Yorkshire Watches. Not much more expensive than Creation but a world of difference in terms of peace of mind in case something goes wrong.
    Here's a copy of the their returns (non returns) policy.Looks like your screwed if something goes wrong.

30-Day Money Back Guarantee

All purchases from CreationWatches.Com are entitled to a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. If you are not happy with your purchase for any reason, you can return us your watch in its original condition without any defects within the first 30 days following your purchase. All shipping, handling and packaging costs will be charged to the buyer. Actual shipping costs to the buyer will be deducted from the final refund amount (So even if you did not pay for shipping i.e. opted for Free Shipping, the actual shipping cost will still be deducted from the refund amount).

Exchange Policy

We will accept exchange of item if you are not satisfied with your choice of watch. Shipping fees will be charged to the buyer both ways. We can offer you any other watch of your choice with the price difference topped up or refunded.

We are not responsible for any return/exchange shipping mishaps. We do not accept faulty watches for return or exchange. All our watches are checked before sending to you. If you watch is not working as expected please drop us an email first.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    edited August 2015
    Does my wrist look big in this?

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Neil said:
    No, I haven't used it yet for a race countdown, but there's a strong possibility with Ramsgate Week going on, and some friends who have yachts. Yes, I agree, the price is obscene, but it's also an investment of sorts. Actually, I can't justify it, and sometimes wish I'd paid some cash off the mortgage instead.
    I could probably get you a high-quality Cholex in Dubai for £400. 

Whenever you to go to the gold souk, you get offered "Copy handbag? Copy rolex?" by every other bugger there. Apparently you have to go with them to their shop, complain that the quality isn't high enough and they'll take you through a door in the back to where the better stuff is. Repeat about 3 times and you end up with the really good stuff...
    There is no good stuff it is all fake.

Outwardly it may look similar but like fake guitars the money is spent getting the look.

Trust me, I have seen them all.

Also why pay £400 for a fake when you can buy a perfectly good Swiss or Japanese "real" watch for that amount?
    FWIW I do completely agree with you, but the "good" fakes are really impressive. Seiko movements usually too. 

Though for my part I'm still rocking the SNZF I bought last year and even don't like the basic Carreras and Seamasters as they still amount to copy Submariners as far as I'm concerned.
    I bought one of these "good" fakes, not a Rolex though mine is a replica Panerai Luminor 127 - it's actually very good, well finished case, sapphire crystal and display back and very accurate replica hand wind movement with Incabloc and swan neck regulator. 

Was going to post pictures but reluctant due to the Chibson thread and trademark discussions. That said, that Marina Militare is actually a trade mark breach - somehow Officine Panerai managed to trademark the name of the Italian Navy! Anyway, mine cost $400, which is toward the top end of the price bracket and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. There is a thriving replica watch seen with very active forums, members there are more anal about watches than we are with guitars! Looks like this one - 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    I'm going to put up for sale my Tag Heuer Microtimer and Carrera, do you think it's worth getting them serviced and cleaned first ?
    #thebatesmotelband
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    BGG said:
    I'm going to put up for sale my Tag Heuer Microtimer and Carrera, do you think it's worth getting them serviced and cleaned first ?
    No.

As long as they are running well that's fine.

People often have their own watch blokes they prefer for servicing and if you put it through the manufacturers it will cost a fortune.