Watches, then?

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    viz said:
    You look at your watch 72 times a day. If you get 1p of pleasure every time you look at it, assuming cost of capital at 3%, it'll pay back in 27 years. It's the same as buying a third of a cup of starbucks coffee every day, except you'll still have it when you're 57.

Yeah, but the coffee would be cold by then.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Get the watch you want FFS man. The quality will give you a lifetimes satisfaction and pleasure. Spend what it takes and get it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I bought two Rolex watches in 1997 or so, and I've just sold them for £4,600 profit. I've yet to manage any profit on a guitar, or any other music-related gear.

• FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited May 2014
    It is a matter of taste - not good taste, personal taste. A watch says it all about a man, party because any more jewellery than that and you are gay anyway. OK, ok, it's a joke, for Chrissake!

If you are wearing £5k+ of bling on your wrist, it's because you have a) the dosh b) the desire to impress.

If you don't have either then that too will be demonstrated by your watch - or lack of one.

Or you might be neither rich nor poor with some aesthetic sensitivity in which case you will have a Omega Seamaster 1975 or something similar.

But Seiko do a nice Submariner equivalent which you can get for c£80 on EBay.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not sure I agree with all that. In my case, as an engineer, I admire the technical excellence of the top Swiss mechanical watches, and the resale value.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    I'm pretty sure the correct answer here is a Seiko. The SNZF17 is a pretty looking thing and boatloads cheaper than anything swiss. 

Some day I'm sure I'll end up with something posher but probably not this year.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I've had a Traser H3 watch for years, I wouldn't have anything else now, it does everything I need, swiss movement, plus it glows in the dark for 20 years due to tritium vials in the hands and numbers....really cool

did I mention it glows in the dark too?

imageimage
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Watch geeks on a budget should check out Vostok Amphibians. Made in Russia, 200m water resistance, 31 jewel automatic movement. I paid £37 for mine from an ebay seller in Moscow. They have a bit of a cult following, I might get another...
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    I am selling a couple of my Quartz Swiss watches if anyone is interested.

ESQ by Movado with brown leather strap - never been worn - just been sat in it's box. £80

Another ESQ by Movado - with steel bracelet. Great watch, but I've gone off square faced watches! £50

ESQ by Movado Chrono with black strap (I'm a fan of ESQ watches :D - got two more as well :-|) This was my favourite watch for years. £60

I also have a Maurice LeCroix Chrono which I'm not 100% sure about selling yet, I'd probably let it go as I probably won't wear it again, but it was my first "proper" watch...If there's interest, I'll definitely consider it as I'd rather it get some use! 

If someone wants to buy all 4, I'll throw in a lovely Jasper Conran leather watch box :D 
    P.S. - buy the watch, Sticky! :D 
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

FX_Munkee said:
    I'm a big Seiko fan (also Orient, they're made by the same people).
    If you fancy a quality Japanese automatic, I can recommend Creation Watches they manage to deliver to the UK in about 5 days and never seem to get touched by customs? (even if they did it would still be more economical than buying in the UK)
    I know you're in UAE Sticky, so you'd have to check with them about delivery there.

Edit: actually I've found your watch, a Swiss Jazzmaster :)
    I have a soft spot for Seiko's too...especially the ones from the 70's, the ones with the 6138 or 6139 movement. They were some nice designs and the movement was as good as most of the swiss movements of the time.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    edited May 2014
    If you want that Seiko, may I humbly suggest the SKX007 only a few shekels more and is the de-facto standard for Japanese Auto Divers watches. I have the Orange! version with a third party President bracelet and it "wears" like a far more expensive watch.
    Bonus of the SKX007 is that there's a shed load of third party bits for it, you can get some V nice straps for instance.
    Oh and as for tritium illumination, the lume on Seiko Divers watches is recognised as being pretty incredible already :)

Just looked again at the SNZF17 you liked, and it looks like it has a solid link bracelet. That's pretty remarkable at £90.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    edited May 2014
    I love watches. I have 5 or 6 I think, nothing to expensive but they make me happy. Its the only bit of 'jewellery' I wear. My dream watch would be a U-Boat, probably something like this - 

FX_Munkee said:
    If you want that Seiko, may I humbly suggest the SKX007 only a few shekels more and is the de-facto standard for Japanese Auto Divers watches. I have the Orange! version with a third party President bracelet and it "wears" like a far more expensive watch.
    Bonus of the SKX007 is that there's a shed load of third party bits for it, you can get some V nice straps for instance.
    Oh and as for tritium illumination, the lume on Seiko Divers watches is recognised as being pretty incredible already :)

Just looked again at the SNZF17 you liked, and it looks like it has a solid link bracelet. That's pretty remarkable at £90.

The one you linked to holds no appeal for me at all I'm afraid. Definitely keen on the SNZF17 though. Not sure I'll be able to get one out here though- the local Seiko places don't seem to have it, and are a bit pricey anyway. Will see if MrsF fancies a shopping trip when she's in London next month :)
    I recently got one of these for a dress watch. Cost £94 (from Singapore) and I'm still working out how they do it, the quality is pretty much perfect.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    That is bloody lovely. 

edited May 2014

Yeah, c'mon Sticky, you know joneve is right, you want it really!

Anyway, this really isn't the place to come when you want to be persuaded NOT to buy something, now is it?

Yeah, c'mon Sticky, you know joneve is right, you want it really!

Anyway, this really isn't the place to come when you want to be persuaded NOT to buy something, now is it? Besides, I'm probably gonna get one of these later in the year, and you don't want to be left out!

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/download_zps25a9e9ab.jpg

That, to me, looks like a Clown's watch. Not a fan!!
    FFS! I AM a clown!

FX_Munkee said:

The one you linked to holds no appeal for me at all I'm afraid. Definitely keen on the SNZF17 though. Not sure I'll be able to get one out here though- the local Seiko places don't seem to have it, and are a bit pricey anyway. Will see if MrsF fancies a shopping trip when she's in London next month :)
    Creation Watches sell it for £90 and ship to the UAE (just checked) I've used them a few times and they've been perfect, there's plenty of other satisfied customers around the world if you do a quick search :)