Who commutes - and how far ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
I've seen a few internal vacancies pop up but they're in the Cardiff office - which a 2h commute each way on the choo-choo, or about 1h-1h30 by car.

It's borderline for me.  I don't really fancy spending that much time travelling every day.  I could move closer, but that's another ball game.

Who commutes, and for how long ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's about 1 hour 15 minutes commute door-to-door for me. That's just one way mind.

Bye!

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    It takes me up to 25 seconds to get to the garden office some mornings, it's uphill and the sandstone is a little slippy when wet. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited June 2019
    I live 10 mins from my office here, but often go to Dubai for the day, which is 90 mins drive. Even with someone else driving that's a ballache, tbh. Sometimes I do day trips to Kuwait and Oman. That's not fun - usually an 8 hour day for a 3 hour meeting...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Current commute is 30 miles/40 minutes there and about an hour back with traffic, from August that'll be up to about 65 minutes each way.

Long term I wouldn't want a commute that long and I'll be pushing to get my hours a bit more flexible so that I miss the rush hour traffic in the evening and work 3 ½ - 4 days a week.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3616
    15 seconds or 2 hours if I'm in the office. Can be done in 1;45 if the connections work out. But I typically only do it twice a a week. Was actually just discussing this with a colleague.

Does your company offer the option to work from home or from your current location which I assume is closer to home?
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    My journey to work is about 15 miles each way, the Bristol traffic means I spend between 45mins and an hour each way on the drive.
    A few years ago when I was fitter and more willing to brave the roads on my bike I could actually cycle in to work in roughly the same time taken as on a particularly 'bad traffic' day. Nowadays there are too many people driving who look more at their phones/screens etc than the cyclists or motorcyclists who may be around them so I'm not so keen on those options any more.   
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    About 1h15 each way, in London, although it can be a fair bit more. I think that would be a fairly standard length of commute here.

Previous job was about the same as the OP. 60-90 min by car, 2hr or so by train, although if the planets aligned could be a bit quicker (or slower).

After a while, spending 3 hrs a day commuting does suck a lot of time out of your life. In my case, I have no choice, but if I could shorten it, I would.
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 839
    2hrs each day is too much. What happens when something goes wrong with the service or you miss the train?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290

I start work at 7:00 and finish at 15:30 each day.

My morning commute is about 12 minutes. My afternoon commute takes about 30 minutes due to the schools kicking out, and the extra traffic it causes.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited June 2019
    Will that be on a daily basis or a couple of times a week? That's quite a bit.

My commute is around 1hr 15 door to door (car and train) and that's to travel to King's Cross from Surrey

I have a colleague who now lives in Edinburgh and she comes into the London office one day a week and works from home the rest of the time. Apparently, her commute is a breeze and less stressful than her work colleagues who live across London.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    10 seconds. It’s a real bugger when it’s raining too.... gets in my coffee  :s
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I'd take a big pay hit rather than commute.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    Now?

It's 5min drive.  I come home at lunch time.

Last job I commuted 100 min train journey with a 15min walk either side.  It was pretty much 2 hr door to door and i did that for 5 and a half years.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    edited June 2019
    @Emp_Fab ;;;

Where are you travelling from? I did Cardiff from Llandeilo for nearly 10 years!! It was a pain in the arse if you caught the traffic wrong but TBH, you just get used to it - puts a lot of miles on the car though and towards the end I did manage to negotiate some Work From Home time.. 

I was also doing Bristol a few times a month too.

I then ended up doing UK wide

Working for a large US Telecoms equipment company as a field engineer/consultant and living in West Wales means that unfortunately travelling comes with the territory.. 

I have now luckily landed on my feet and my commute is less than 20 mins - not helpful for you I know..

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    edited June 2019
    My office to home is 26 miles, I don't always come into the office I'm often out all day at meetings or in part of the day.  In winter when they traffic gets really heavy I can cycle home faster than I can drive it.

I used to drive for an hour and a half commute each way on a good day in a previous job, if there was an accident on the lovely M3 it could be 3 hour trip.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    edited June 2019
    Happily I don’t have to commute any longer. My experience has been that it makes a difference whether you do the same journey every day, whether you drive or just sit, and how much exercise you get.

Several jobs saw me in different locations on different days, so there was variety. Driving I could listen to music, or the news. On trains I would read, or latterly sleep. Planes are tedious. I’d sleep through the flight, but most of the journey would be walking and queuing, or sitting in lounges.

I came to the conclusion that, for me, an hour each way was as far as I wanted to drive. Crammed into a tube train it was less. It’s not just the journey time, but what else it squeezes out of your life. Mid week rehearsals for example.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    18 Miles door to door.

On the way to work it takes me 40 minutes.

Going home takes 1:15 minimum. Some days can be 2 hours. 

This isn't in central London either - it's Bournemouth/Poole
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    About 25 minutes by car, but it depends on the colour. Green cars get me there a bit quicker. Grey or dark ones a bit longer. If you're travelling by car don't rush into a hasty colour decision. Take your time.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    It's about 1 hour 15 minutes commute door-to-door for me. That's just one way mind.
    Same for me - but only once a week. I don't think I could do it every day. My *main* everyday job is 20 seconds, from the house to the workshop... and that's there *and* back ;).

My second job is 20 minutes each way, or can be up to twice that if I have to go in on a Friday. I hate Fridays...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    1 hour on the bus outside my house, it terminates outside of work so ok if I fall asleep