Who commutes - and how far ?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    18 miles to Cambridge, 35 mins on a good day 1hr 30 when it rains :) Normally if the A14 is open and no accidents I can get back within 30 mins. 

Don't think I could survive without any kind of music playing in the car.
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 10 mile each way cycle ride, 35 minutes there, 42 minutes home. Faster than taking the car and a pleasant daily ride by the river.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    20 years ago, I would commute 80 mile round trip, which would take an hour on a good run, 2 on a bad one, 3 on rare really bad one. I'd leave home at 7 return at 7. I wouldn't do it now, not unless I had no other option. Even then, it tires you out as you get a bit older. I did enjoy the hour listening to music, almost relaxing. Now, when I go anywhere where the train is a reasonable option, I will get that and not drive. If I am going into London, I always get the train.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    32 miles to work, heading to north London. 40 mins on a good day, 1h 30m on a bad rainy winter day.

Some people at work do 2hr drive each way! That is mental.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2386
    I used to have to commute into London (Liverpool Street) every day - was a 5 hour round trip (assuming trains were on time), for about a year.

Never again.

I was exhausted and stressed when I arrived at work, and exhausted when I got home.

Now, I can WFH, and the office is about an hour away. Much happier with the commute, and I'm actually home in time for the 6 o'clock news.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2386
    Cirrus said:
    Approx. 35 miles each way, mostly motorway so typically it's 50 mins in the morning & 1hr in the evening. There's always the odd day here and there where there's an accident and things take significantly longer, but luckily the M40 isn't bad for that.
    Bloody is around Handy Cross / Stokenchurch...!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Bham to London, 3 days per week, sometimes 4.

Edgbaston to Liverpool St, 2hrs door to door, but I am allowed to travel BACK in office hours- so get the 16.03 from EUS.

Travelcard £1112 every month- fortunately I don't pay for it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Hot topic for me. 45min each way approx and even that's long .
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    If it’s just me and not taking the wife then it’s about 30mins door to door each way. I don’t know how people do 90mins - 2hrs each way every day. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    BRISTOL86 said:
    If it’s just me and not taking the wife then it’s about 30mins door to door each way. I don’t know how people do 90mins - 2hrs each way every day. 
    Simple. I don't take the other half either.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    varies, can be anywhere from 2 mins all the way upto 5.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    27 min walk to the office, 33min walk home as it all uphill 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    It's generally a 10min drive to the station, 90-odd mins on the train, and then a 10min walk to an office the other end. 

The 90mins is reasonably comfortable, seated and with the space to read, work, do whatever on an iPad, sleep, etc.  I'd not do it on one of the crammed-in commuter trains, or changing trains, using tube/buses/etc.

On the whole, I prefer that to the weekly commute option (ie living out of a suitcase during the week).  I've tried both, but as  WFH has become more accepted, the weekly commute (when it's 3-4 days/wk) option is the more attractive.

Why?

Partly the money, partly the challenge/satisfaction of the job, and partly because  the City is a fun place to spend a working day.  No, really.  Working in the City whilst living out in the country is a best-of-both-worlds option for me - the trade-off is the commute, but there are plenty of people here doing something similar, so I don't feel quite so mad.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    edited June 2019
    For me it's about 2hrs door-to-door from Wokingham to central London - train journey of around 75 mins and a couple of walks either end. Can't say I enjoy 4 hours of commuting a day, but the train line is fairly reliable and I get to sleep a lot. There's no way I could drive into London, though - the stress would finish me off.  I usually work from home one day a week, too.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've seen a few internal vacancies pop up but they're in the Cardiff office - which a 2h commute each way on the choo-choo, or about 1h-1h30 by car.

Yeah, but you don't have a car.......

So its 2hrs each way.

Or perhaps you could get a car.? You could ask for advice on here if you were minded
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    My commute is just under five miles, which I can do in just over four minutes on a motorcycle. 

Life is too short for the way most people commute, but I'll often deliberately take a longer route home. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited June 2019
    5 minute walk to the office or quicker on my bike. Pop home for dinner. Wouldn’t like to go back to a long drive. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    12 miles through some loverly Dorset countryside into Weymouth.  20mins if I manage not to get stuck behind a tractor.  25 if I do.  It hardly matters.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    My local office is 35 miles away and could easily take me 90 minutes each way in the car around the M60. My boss is 200 miles away and the rest of my team are spread around Europe and we've never been in one place at the same time. All I need for work is a network connection and the one I have at home is faster than the one in the corporate office.

That means my commute be as long as 15 seconds, walking from the breakfast table to my home office. That does include a flight of stairs though.

• 12 miles. Takes between 25 minutes and an hour, depending on traffic.

Huge waste of money and time. I may try to negotiate my working hours to start early so I can avoid rush hour and minimise the fuel I use.