Any ukulele players here?

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
in Guitar tFB Trader

A friend of mine is coming up for retirement, he's a great harmonica player, he's been thinking of taken up the ukulele. I thought it would be a good idea to buy him a ukulele as a retirement present. If I had time I would buy and make a kit from Stew Mac.  He has quite large hands, so I’m thinking maybe a tenor or concert ukulele would be best.

Any suggestions on a fairly good quality beginners ukulele roundabout the £60 mark.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Flight are a fantastic brand for beginner ukes, excellent quality feel
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    Kala ukes are very good for not a great deal of money. They also do a cheaper range under the Makala brand name. A concert model is probably a good idea for someone with large hands. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I want to get one so I can learn it in anticipation of teaching my son when he's old enough.

After doing a bit of research online I decided on the - Kala Satin Mahogany KA-15S Soprano Ukulele.

£55 quid so right in your price range.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    thegummy said:
    I want to get one so I can learn it in anticipation of teaching my son when he's old enough.

After doing a bit of research online I decided on the - Kala Satin Mahogany KA-15S Soprano Ukulele.

£55 quid so right in your price range.
    Yes they’re a good choice so many cheap ukes are virtually unplayable but all the new  Kala models I’ve seen have been well setup with quality strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Just put a capo on 5th and cut off your top two strings.  =)
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader

Thanks for the info I think it will be a Kala.

Just put a capo on 5th and cut off your top two strings.  =)

Thanks that was very helpful

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    @GSPBASSES  ;rather late to this conversation, but as a guitarist I wanted to try a ukulele, without learning all new chord shapes - baritone ukes are strung DGBE and are a great play ... I have big hands, short fingers and the baritone is perfect for me.
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • ionianionian Frets: 100
    @entee and anyone else who tries ukulele - just to clarify, the chord shapes are exactly the same on uke as they are on guitar, except you are missing the lowest two strings and every chord sounds a 4th higher (G becomes C, Am becomes Dm etc). But the important thing is that the shapes are the same so the skills transpose across really easily. 
    ionian said:
    @entee and anyone else who tries ukulele - just to clarify, the chord shapes are exactly the same on uke as they are on guitar, except you are missing the lowest two strings and every chord sounds a 4th higher (G becomes C, Am becomes Dm etc). But the important thing is that the shapes are the same so the skills transpose across really easily. 
    is this all ukuleles?  I thought it was only the baritone that kept guitar chord shapes?
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • entee said:
    ionian said:
    is this all ukuleles?  I thought it was only the baritone that kept guitar chord shapes?

Yeah me too, I'm pretty sure when I tried to help my dad with his the top string was lower than the bottom two or something like that?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ionian said:

To clarify, "F" on guitar is "Bb" on the uke, and "D" is "G" etc..., but there are several shapes on uke that aren't often found on guitar.  They are pretty easy to pick up if you're already familiar with guitar.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

ionian said:

To clarify, "F" on guitar is "Bb" on the uke, and "D" is "G" etc..., but there are several shapes on uke that aren't often found on guitar.  They are pretty easy to pick up if you're already familiar with guitar.
    On a baritone ukulele, it is tuned to the bottom 4 strings on a guitar - DGBE (http://www.get-tuned.com/how-to-tune-the-baritone-ukulele.php)  hope I am allowed to post a link.  I have been playing the Barilele for over a year and it has been tuned this was when I bought it and ever since.
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 891
    edited August 2019
    entee said:
    ionian said:

Yeah me too, I'm pretty sure when I tried to help my dad with his the top string was lower than the bottom two or something like that?
    The tuning is the same relative spacing as the treble four strings of a guitar, but the first string on most ukes (i.e. what would be the lowest note on a guitar) is usually tuned an octave up.  So guitar chord shapes still work, but aren't in the same key as on a guitar for the smaller ukes.  Playing melodies is a bit odd because when you get down to the "lowest" string you're suddenly playing an octave too high.

FWIW, my daughter's got a Snail uke that cost just under £100 (for a soprano, with a soft case).  Possibly a little bit over the OP's intended spend, but it sounds and feels so much better than my old cheap one that I was well impressed.

FWIW, my daughter's got a Snail uke that cost just under £100 (for a soprano, with a soft case).  Possibly a little bit over the OP's intended spend, but it sounds and feels so much better than my old cheap one that I was well impressed.
    Sound and feel is everything; so much more than cost alone.
    I am currently having an electric baritone ukulele (barilele?) built by a luthier - really looking forward to it being finished  :)