Going to the cinema, alone

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754

Has 3D died yet? Wearing glasses over my glasses for two hours wasn’t that much fun either. 

In new TVs for the home it has, it's still struggling on life support in the cinema.

They will always push new technologies like IMAX and 4DX, but they don't last forever.

The biggest change in recent years is the switch to digital projection.
    I almost miss the problems of scratches and little warps, they told your brain you were at the cinema and now it's just watching a really big telly. 

I know I've moaned about 3D cinema before and the response was don't go but these were family occasions, it's not a personal choice I'd make more than once. 

I'd agree with you moaning about 3D, it was and remains shit, IMHO.

I've avoided 3D screenings for years.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    Didn't like 3D at the cinema. But our TV is 3D and the experience is fabulous compared to the cinema. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    take your Raincoat...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Does anyone else like to go to the cinema alone? I have people I can go with, but being an aspie I like to spend a lot of time by myself. I realise there’s a bit of a stigma attached to this, especially at the cinema where it’s seen as slightly creepy. But it’s not like I sit in the back corner watching Peter Rabbit and the like, with a sweaty complexion and one hand down my trousers. It’s just nice to escape for a while and watch films that none my friends or family would be into. I’ll often get a screening room to myself if I go late on a work day 
    having known people with autism and high functioning autism the cinema seems like it must be their idea of hell yet somehow it isn't. The immersive aspect of it seems to overcome the issues around crowds and noise although some cinemas also have autism friendly screenings where the lights are left on low and the volume reduced.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    Cinema alone in the afternoon is my idea of indulgence, actually. When I broke my hand a couple of years ago and couldn't do anything (no work, as that involved holding a graphics tablet pen, no guitar playing, obviously, though that's when I started reading the Fretboard), I got a membership to the Prince Charles (London rep cinema) and started going a lot - no guilt about wasting time as it wasn't as if I could use the time for anything more productive. As long as the place isn't full of idiots it's much better than watching at home - no temptation to nip off to make tea, or read the paper or check Twitter or anything. 

I've always gone in the afternoon, though, by myself (or my wife or a friend who wants to see the movie, but usually alone). I've never understood this thing about it being a social / date thing - surely if you want to meet people going to a dark room and ignoring each other is probably 100% in the wrong direction, isn't it? Though I must admit I'm not the world expert on what normal people do for fun. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135

I've always gone in the afternoon, though, by myself (or my wife or a friend who wants to see the movie, but usually alone). I've never understood this thing about it being a social / date thing - surely if you want to meet people going to a dark room and ignoring each other is probably 100% in the wrong direction, isn't it? Though I must admit I'm not the world expert on what normal people do for fun. 
    First date with my wife I booked cinema tickets for this reason really. If it wasn't going great we could just sit and watch a film and not have to interact. I've never seen the cinema as a great "date" location.

Instead we didn't bother with the cinema, carried on drinking until we were the last ones in the pub, had a great old time. Seven weeks later we were engaged. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm off to the pictures by myself this afternoon as it happens - second time this week! I have a Cineworld Unlimited Card meaning I pay a flat monthly fee and go as many times as I like. I prefer to go with my wife as we're both big cinephiles, but I work either 10.5 or 12 hour shifts with my job (which frequently includes nights and weekends), whereas she works a Mon-Fri 9-5 sort of job. It's often just not possible to go together. 11am screenings on a Tuesday morning are often blissful - on a few occasions I've literally had the whole place to myself!
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    I'm off to the pictures by myself this afternoon as it happens - second time this week! I have a Cineworld Unlimited Card meaning I pay a flat monthly fee and go as many times as I like. I prefer to go with my wife as we're both big cinephiles, but I work either 10.5 or 12 hour shifts with my job (which frequently includes nights and weekends), whereas she works a Mon-Fri 9-5 sort of job. It's often just not possible to go together. 11am screenings on a Tuesday morning are often blissful - on a few occasions I've literally had the whole place to myself!
    Same here cineworld card rules
    I've gbt one of the cineworld cards.

Doesn't get as much use as it should as I go through phases of feeling a bit sad going alone, I don't mean "sad" as in pathetic I mean sad as in, a bit sad.

Despite being married with two kids, if I want to do any of "my" stuff I usually have to do it alone, which can be draining sometimes.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    Does taking "Samantha" count as going on my own?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited June 2019

Not at all, meet my  friend, Barry. He likes to tag along occasionally.

https://i.postimg.cc/FzsWxHY7/51-ISy-Xcflh-L-SY355.jpg
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
    That thing is wrong on a lot of levels
  • Beauty is in the eye of the beholder 
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited June 2019
    having known people with autism and high functioning autism the cinema seems like it must be their idea of hell yet somehow it isn't. The immersive aspect of it seems to overcome the issues around crowds and noise although some cinemas also have autism friendly screenings where the lights are left on low and the volume reduced.

noise for me is not an issue unless it's in tandem with being in crowds, in which case I get a bit on edge....but in a cinema the volume simply adds to the immersion. The lighting in the actual theatre is fine... it's after the film that's disconcerting, when I step out into the bright lights in the lobby after adjusting to dim light for the past 2 to 3 hours. I tend to just shuffle out nervously lol 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    I don't think it's odd - go see the movie however you like man 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    That thing is wrong on a lot of levels
    I agree. The mouth isn't open for a start.