Thoughts on unpotted PAF style pickups?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
edited June 2019 in Guitar
I played some new Gibson Custom Shop guitars recently, including some 60th anniversary '59 LPs and was a little surprised at the tone of the pickups, these were the new unpotted Custombuckers. I have since played them again and like them more than first time around. It's been a long while since I played a guitar with unpotted pickups and forgot how much they pick up the sound of the guitar body resonance, pick taps against the pickup cover etc. This extra capacity adds a definite liveliness and feel to the sound and they definitely impart a more vintage tone that rewards use of the volume and tone controls more.

I know some of the aftermarket pickup winders have been selling unpotted PAFs for a while ( OX4, Duncan Antiquities etc) but this is the first time I've known Gibson to fit them as stock.

What's your thoughts , experiences with unpotted PAF style pickups?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I've tried twice, once with some unpotted Bare Knuckle Riff Raffs, and currently with some unpotted Mojo PAFs. 

I gave up and had the Riff Raffs potted, and I'm pretty sure I'll do the same with the Mojos. I don't really notice the extra liveliness or whatever people talk about. I don't remember noticing a tone change when I got the Riff Raffs back. I gig with an FRFR monitor angled up at me, and when I'm soloing with gain, it's horrible. I can't leave space in my solos because the second I stop playing, it shrieks. If I roll the volume off between licks I still get a moment of squeal at the start and end of each phrase. I could probably do it with the pickup selector, by having one pickup volume permanently rolled off all the way, but then I couldn't easily change pickups mid-solo. 

Basically it's terrible and I hate it. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    Not all pickup designs work well un-potted: the tighter the component fit and the more even and tight the pickup wind the better they work. Also uncovered humbuckers tend to avoid some of the squeal due to the lack of 'drumming' in the flat expanse of cover top. Also not all potting is created equal: for example Seymour Duncan uses vacuum potting that aggressively removes all air space ... whereas many smaller builders use 'short dip' potting that fixes components without filling the coil completely.
    I would never recommend that people go for un-potted in high gain situations, though 'short dip' potting should be okay at all but full on metal gain levels. To give an example ... our PAF style pickups are short dipped as standard, whereas our metal style pickups get double potting, where the bare coils are potted before pickup assembly, then potted again after assembly.
    Does potting make a difference to tone? Yes, but a small one, and a great tone is only a great tone if it's usable at the gain levels you need.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    tFB Trader
    I also think it depends on the level of gain you use and also how much electronics is in the chain between the guitar and amp - Saturate the gain and/or add more 'processing' in between the signal path and the less differential you can detect between a paf potted and a paf un-potted

The more 'natural' the signal chain the more you can detect - Subtle but effective

Agree with Ash @OilCityPickups - the more gain you use with more volume and you'll probably wish you had potted p/ups

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    edited June 2019
    I guess Gibson are going for a more vintage accurate angle by now putting unpotted pickups in their new Custom Shop guitars. It will be interesting to see how players feel as these guitars get widely into circulation.

I noticed quite a difference in sound from the 2016 Custombuckers to these new Alnico III unpotted Custombuckers.

Here's a couple of examples of the new Gibson pickups:

• PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    edited June 2019
    I don't gig and don't jam at high volume (and generally use low to medium gain) so for this application I really like unpotted humbuckers. I have two sets: Duncan Antiquities in an LP and Forces Sweethearts from Ash in an SG, and I like that they seem to pick up a little extra resonance (a good test for me is the whole lotta love riff, when alternating between open strings and fretted near the nut). It just sounds livelier to my ears versus heavily potted pickups, but how much of that is just down to the potting...

Also, if playing loud/live, I doubt the negligible difference (to the audience) versus the drawbacks would be worth it.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I'd rather hear the tone of the guitar than the 'tone' of the electronics overdriving. Thats not to say a bit of overdrive isn't appreciated and used. For me unpotted therfore has a real value. It I played very distorted tones a lot, I might feel differently.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    ESBlonde said:
    I'd rather hear the tone of the guitar than the 'tone' of the electronics overdriving. Thats not to say a bit of overdrive isn't appreciated and used. For me unpotted therfore has a real value. It I played very distorted tones a lot, I might feel differently.
    I think giving the customer both options is the sensible thing for lower output pickups. I sell far more to high gain and metal world with my humbuckers, and I would constantly get returns due to squealing if I didn't double pot as standard.
    For my own personal guitars I choose potted ... as I play a whole range of styles at a whole range of gain and processing levels, and I don't want to have to change guitars to one with potted pickups if I want to ramp up the gain.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    I have a nice archtop semi with Schaller Golden 50 pickups which are unpotted.
    I don't play it at loud gigs of course. It sounds like a huge acoustic guitar, wonderful.