Nickel plating a chrome plated tremolo

What's Hot
 Sorry if that sounds really dumb but I have a rather wonderful Gotoh FST tremolo which holds tune much better than any other traditional tremolo system I’ve ever had.

Problem is, it’s chrome plated - and the rest of the guitar is ageing nicely...

How much of a hassle is it (is it practicable at all) to remove the chrome plating and nickel-plate the tremolo baseplate?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Would be easier and cheaper to sell the one you have and buy a nickel plated one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I don't think Gotoh offer trems in nickel. Even their relic vintage trem is aged chrome.
    Any steel that is chrome plated has a layer of nickel under the chrome (and a layer of copper under that). How easy it is to remove just the chrome layer I don't know. I would assume any chemical process would either strip the nickel as it strips the chrome or at the very least probably permanently discolour the nickel.
    Can chrome be removed with reverse electroplating?
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    Reverse electroplating - yes Gavin, I was thinking that too...

The Gotoh has elongated slots in the baseplate rather than holes -  and the strings don’t touch the baseplate at all, hence the tuning stability 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Can chrome be removed with reverse electroplating?
    Yes.

The electroplating sequence is copper, nickel, chromium.

A mild solution of hydrochloric acid will gradually remove the chrome layer, exposing the nickel beneath.

I have successfully done this on cheap MIC bridge/tailpieces and expensive GraphTech String Saver replacement saddles for Floyd Rose. (The latter are not available in Nickel finish.)
    Be seeing you.