Strumming or Fingerpicking

tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Our local boozer The Village in Walthamstow does an acoustic night. All the acts are of a good standard as they are pre booked artists who are trying to make it in the business. BUT there is a lot of strummers and no fingerpickers. Is there a reason for this apart from the fact that fingerpicking and singing is quite hard to do Does fingerpicking lack impact musically in a pub Just wondered 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    This is in no way meant to sound pompus, but I've personally never found a problem in singing whilst picking
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Pleased to hear it - same here but I wondered if it was just me being old and out of touch 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I find fingerpicking difficult without singing, let alone with it. They're both valid but I guess if you're a solo artist strumming is an easier way to fill out the sound, especially if you fingerpick with your fingertips, rather than fingernails (like I do).
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    When I finger pick (I play most weeks at church) I tend to use reverb (on all the time anyway) and a little delay just to help fill the sound out. But you're right, strumming is an easier way to create a big sound.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I've observed that fingerstyle goes in and out of favor in cycles of about 5 years here.  At one point I could advertise a "Fingerstyle Guitar Workshop" and sell out all the room I had, then a couple of years later I get maybe two customers. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Is it anything to do with a lot of the music for which fingerpicking works is considered not lively enough for a pub? I'm not saying you can't fingerpick a lively tune, but for some people, bashing chords with a plectrum may be the best way to sound lively and go-getting. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    To some people fingerpicking is easy. For me it is easy, I have no problem singing at the same time, I don't think about what my fingers do at all, it's almost like autopilot. Unfortunately my voice is terrible though!