nice BIG project?

http://www.elektor.com/q-watt-110656-71

Pretty advanced but would make an excellent acoustic amp.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Maybe a bit big for me ;) but that is pretty cool as most amp kits are pretty much tweed or tweed derived designs that are relatively simple.

You don't see many 'build your own 3 channel triple rectified monster', but there might be a reason for that... ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Wonder if it's as bombproof as those old Maplin 150W MOSFET kits… shame they stopped making them, but I think the Hitachi power transistors went out of production.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited June 2014
    I've been interested in building DIY Class D amps for a while, they sound good and are relatively easy to build.

This is an interesting diy class D amp:
    http://rdimitrov.twistedsanity.net/blog/show.php?entry=Microcontroller%20Class%20D%20Amplifier,%20Rev2
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    That class D looks nice. Surprised how simple the layout is, but suppose the microcontroller does a lot of the work, also at 12V single sided it needs a bit of work to get it up to noticeable power.

For the Elektor thing, I suppose the challenge for most people would be the required +/-58V power supply.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    A quick, and only slightly off-topic question.  I had loads of old Elektor magazines which met an unfortunate fate, not at my hands (long story).  Is there an archive of this sort of stuff, especially the Elektor articles and projects.  A little unfinished project type business I could get my hands dirty with again, now I am back in the musical world.  Any ideas ?