Nuendo to protools or other?

My band recorded a load of tracks at a studio recently and want to take those tracks to another studio for more work and mixing. Unfortunately, the original studio used Nuendo (for some reason) which seems to be a niche player in the studio world. Most places appear to be using protools or Cubase. Normally we'd just ask the studio to provide the tracks in a portable format but part of the reason for the move is the disappointing performance of the first place, so I suspect that all we'll get is a dump of the files at best. Are we likely to be able to use or convert these? Any pointers great fully received!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    My band recorded a load of tracks at a studio recently and want to take those tracks to another studio for more work and mixing. Unfortunately, the original studio used Nuendo (for some reason) which seems to be a niche player in the studio world. Most places appear to be using protools or Cubase. Normally we'd just ask the studio to provide the tracks in a portable format but part of the reason for the move is the disappointing performance of the first place, so I suspect that all we'll get is a dump of the files at best. Are we likely to be able to use or convert these? Any pointers great fully received!

I suggest you take your question over to ..www.studiosound.co.uk forum where there are studio owners and users that have almost certainly been here before!

Get all of your facts absolutely straight. Who agreed what or not, what if any monies were exchanged. There is often a dispute as to who owns the "master tapes" in these situations.

The studio certainly does not own title to the music (unless you have signed something silly!) so the tracks are of no legal, commercial interest to them.

Good luck,

Dave (isn't our very own Fretmeister a bit of a lawyer?)

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    I think you need the studio to convert the Nuendo stems to mono broadcast then export as OMF

Bit of a pain but projects can get transferred across platforms with a bit of fiddling 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    I think you need the studio to convert the Nuendo stems to mono broadcast then export as OMF

Bit of a pain but projects can get transferred across platforms with a bit of fiddling 

Hi Dan,

I think the OP's problem is getting the studio to do any more work period. I assume he has been offered the raw tracks in Nuendo? Any subsequent processing would have to be paid for by someone?

Dave.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    We haven't been offered anything as such....getting the raw files is probably all that will be possible. Complicated!
    We haven't been offered anything as such....getting the raw files is probably all that will be possible. Complicated!

Get the raw tracks and above and have a go, just cost you a few pints for a dongle it seems for 400hours!

Dave.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Ohh interesting....ta Dave!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401

Yeah like Dave said get a trial version of Nuendo and then export the tracks as OMF but render any stereo tracks to separate mono first, otherwise Protools won't play ball properly

I don't use Nuendo myself but I'll ask the guys in the other mix room if they can open a Nuendo project. Once you got your tracks as OMF or 24 bit 44 \ 48 \ 96 you can import them into Tools or Logic etc no problem
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Ohh interesting....ta Dave!

Heh! I am a Jack O many a trial DAW. Master of FA!

Dave.