Maple or Rosewood Fretboard on this Strat?

dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
edited May 2014 in Making & Modding
Just bought this body from DrBob. There were some comments about it being an odd colour, but I think its great. Anyway, which neck should I fit? it will have a white scratchplate (not this one though), chrome hardware and a nice set of Oil City pickups I bought from a fellow forumite recently. The body is a tad lighter that it looks in the pics

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l512/dean2371/photo2_zps92e483e2.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l512/dean2371/photo1_zpsa2f4da35.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    The rosewood looks better to me.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Maple.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    Either - with a black scratchplate.
    ;)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26925
    Rosewood, because that's always the right answer for Strats, but not that rosewood. The dots are wrong (yes, I'm that guy..) and it has too many frets.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    I always have a preference for a Maple fretboard. Feels nicer in your hand and look cooler as they age.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I generally lean towards Maple but in the photos above the Rosewood looks better to me
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    It looks OK either way.

Do you need the 22nd fret? If so fit the rosewood neck. But round the end of the extended bit off, it looks wrong square like that. Also the maple neck looks like it has a Tele end, so it will need rounding to fit a Strat pocket.

The choice of pickguard is important too - single-ply goes with maple, three-ply goes with rosewood. It's in the rules.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I generally lean towards Maple but in the photos above the Rosewood looks better to me
    same here.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    Lots of views here! You're right ICBM, it is a Tele neck. My maple strat neck is in the process of being finished.

I might start with the maple and see how it looks. The other will go on a green wudtone finished Tele body with Strat routings. I can't decide whether it is a think of beauty or an abomination though. I'll post some pics when it's finished