Songs to own up to liking but shouldn't...

What's Hot

Comments

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    Rachel Stevens - My LA ex. Kinda like the faux flamenco guitar.
    Natie Imbuglia - torn - nice bassline
    Mariah Carey - All I want for Xmas

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    Just heard Everybody's Changing by Keane on the radio.One of those bands I hated when they first come out but with the passing of time it's weird how your tastes change.

Absolutely cracking pop song.Got quite a dark melody running through it too.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Flanging_Fred;258781" said:
    Natie Imbuglia - torn - nice
    Thats a genius song. No embarrassment in liking that at all....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    Flanging_Fred said:
    Natie Imbuglia - torn - nice
    Thats a genius song.
    Only in the sense that talent borrows and genius steals :).

I always hear the line after "I don't care, I had no luck" in my head as "I don't really give a fuck" before she actually sings it too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Pilot....Magic

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    This is actually a really well produced track and annoyingly infectious.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    ICBM said:
    Alnico said:
    Me and Bobby Mcgee - Chris Kristofferson
    Perfect example of a song where the writer should have been physically stopped from ever singing it…

Once you've heard Janis Joplin's version his is just awful.
    I have both @ICBM and I disagree.  But then I never did like screaming on LP/CD or radio.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    I never warmed to 'In the mood' [Glenn Miller] until I heard the Garda Band play it before one of the Republic of Ireland home matches at Lansdowne Road.  It suddenly clicked into gear especially the ending......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    ummmm.....I still think these are great pop songs....

Chaka Khan - Ain't nobody

Whitney Houston - I wanna dance with somebody

Britney Spears- Toxic

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2014
    I love ABBA and I enjoy a bit of Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Wham, and I don't really mind admitting it. Not the sort of thing I'd bring up on a date admittedly, but you haven't lived until you've tried learning some bass parts from Wham's stuff.

Perhaps my biggest guilty pleasure is this, but I don't give a toss about how embarrassing it is, it's an absolutely fantastic song. Regardless of whether you like the style, it's really well-written and is stuffed with awesome hooks. Gets stuck in my head on a regular basis:

Listen to it and tell me that isn't fucking brilliant.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306

Cor..loads.

"Physical"  - Olivia Newton John because I like the 80s guitars on it and the fabulous guitar solo by Steve Lukather

Boys bands - some Back Street Boys (I want it that way) and BBMAK (Back here)

Bruno Mars' latest stuff

Olly Murs - "Troublemaker"

Train - "Hey soul sister"

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26961
    Bucket said:
    I love ABBA and I enjoy a bit of Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Wham, and I don't really mind admitting it. Not the sort of thing I'd bring up on a date admittedly, but you haven't lived until you've tried learning some bass parts from Wham's stuff.

Perhaps my biggest guilty pleasure is this, but I don't give a toss about how embarrassing it is, it's an absolutely fantastic song. Regardless of whether you like the style, it's really well-written and is stuffed with awesome hooks. Gets stuck in my head on a regular basis:

Listen to it and tell me that isn't fucking brilliant.
    That's a BRILLIANT pop song. Though you were probably about 8 when there were something like 4 different dance tracks in the charts that all sampled it. That got old fast! The original's still amazing though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306

Yep ^ ^ totally agree. They were the writers behind a couple of big hits for Whitney Houston.

The Waitresses "Christmas Wrapping" - nice busy bassline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARq6uYSsUq0

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    "I wanna be loved by you" sung by Marilyn Monroe, it just sounds to me like they had fun with the orchestration.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Kebabkid said:

The Waitresses "Christmas Wrapping" - nice busy bassline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARq6uYSsUq0

I can play the bassline!

Spent ages figuring it out a couple of Christmases ago, it's so much fun to play.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    'Every Little Thing She Does is Magic' by The Police. I find the chorus irresistible. Sting wasn't hugging trees at this point, hadn't started hanging around with that bloke with a CD in his bottom lip or had his nose fixed ;)
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24294
    This subject really boils my piss.  Music is art.  It is many things to many people.  It's your own personal take on it that counts.  The whole concept of "music you shouldn't like" is nothing more than spineless supplicance to someone else's opinion on what's 'good' and what's 'naff'.  It's juvenile snobbery of the worst kind.  A 'shame' that must be suppressed, for to do otherwise would risk the mockery of your peers.  It's the same with fashion.  Conform or be ridiculed.

If you find something beautiful or enjoyable, say so with pride.  Otherwise, get back in the fucking queue with all the other sheep waiting to be told what they should and shouldn't listen to or wear.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3900
    Fair enough Emps, but I like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKwWYpb1a4k
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    I like loads of pop songs actually.  I quite like some Katy Perry songs for example.  Firework and Hot & Cold are both great pop songs IMO.  Taylor Swift has loads of great catchy pop tunes too, so does Lady Gaga.  Just depends what mood I'm in, but I never tend to buy the albums of these kind of artists.