I've started that lifetime acoustic search.

What's Hot
ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
edited May 2014 in Acoustics
I went to Peach this morning and despite being a little knackerd I enjoyed a lot of time playing some very nice guitars. Very nice people to deal with by the way, a recomended shop for sure. Anyway they have a taylor 818 that punches way above its weight if anyone is looking. Its a superb example.
I tried plenty of Taylors (mainly jumbo) trying to tailor (see what I did there) my taste and expectations to a guitar. I surprised myself by prefering the feel and playability of the big Gibsons to even the £5k taylor LE. I didn't come away with anything but the process has started so watch this space over tge next year or two.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    The 'lifetime acoustic' is probably more something that you stumble upon when you'd given up believing there is even such a thing, than something you go looking for, I think.

Mine's a Gibson too - a fairly recent (2008) Dove. If I don't count the Martin 12-string I've had since 1989, anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    I'm in the process of making my own under Mark Bailey's guidance. Back with him at the end of June to continue my journey.
  • I'm not sure I believe there is one, or if there is I am certainly not a good enough player to appreciate it.
    Old Is Gold
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I'm quite certain I'm not a good enough player to warrant a decent (expensive) acoustic @antique_guitars but my heavy/regular gigging days are behind me and as joints start to dictate slowing down, I will at least be able to enjoy a nice tone as I fumble through the chords I can remember.
    If I buy soon I will have a nicely matured guitar in due course. Hopefully I can still get about on it for a decade or so.

• BilliBobBilliBob Frets: 19
    Its a funny thing, what you thought you wanted, then when you can, what you actually do want.
    I've never known the 2 to be the same.
    Only advice is to play as many as possible.
    I do hanker after a Greenfield.  Never going to happen though.
    Keep us posted, will be interesting to hear your take on some of the classics
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    So - what have you tried so far?
    I'm no expert and I did only go looking for ~4 weeks but I got around and played LOADS. The Martin 000-15m to me was great but I kept putting it back and testing against other guitars. When I played my Larrivee, I knew it was the one. I only ever buy from shops now as I have to have the feel.. It was the same with my PRS Torero, Ibanez SA and Martin Baby.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    I'm thinking of embarking on a similar journey when I hit New York in the summer. Would be keen to hear your thoughts on the current Gibson range. I love the idea Hummingbird but have yet to find a great one. J200s are awesome but just so damn big..
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    A life time guitar is a difficult one, I thought I always wanted a tele, got one, it lasted a month, I always wanted a legit Strat, got one, sold it in 2 months. Currently revisiting Pacifica land, my wife will be cracking up if I move this one on again (laughing, not mentally)

Certainly want a 339, and would love a Martin LX1E, but hard to say whether both would last or just be a passing faze.

I find guitar purchasing very similar to golf clubs. You buy, you try, you sell, you find something you really like, you sell it, buy it again, realise you were right the first time and sell again. Custom fitting has some major advantages, the fairway wood that I had custom fit for me is still in my bag 4-5 years later! That is a major record, most clubs/sets last 6 months.

On a similar note the guitar I purchased while with my wife (girlfriend at the time) about 14 years ago, although cheap, £85 I don't think I could part with, as it has been on a journey with us. (a professional setup would work wonders, but I could never sell!

Same as the Mizuno 4w my mum and dad purchased for me when I was 14. I still have it, still occasionally use it, and would Never! part with it.

For me a life time purchase needs to mean something, if my wife was to buy me a guitar I would struggle to ever part with it.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Before I (recently) started this search I had the idea that I should buy a classic and it would probably be a Gibson Advanced Jumbo or a Martin D28 (or HD model). I am avoiding playing either of these whilst I play the field as it were, I'm hoping to stumble upon something that surprises me. I worked my way through a number of guitars and amoungst others I was impressed by this:

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/acoustic-guitars/6-string/taylor-ps18e-limited-edition-presentation-series-.htm

But then at £5.5k why wouldn't I be. But it just didn't quite light my fire.
    I think the fact that the Taylors are quite heavy as well put me off as I wasn't expecting that in a quality acoustic. (preconceived idea reinforced by holding lots of guitars I suppose).

The search will continue in due course.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I´ve had my Lowden since I was 21 and it´s still my go too Acoustic, despite also owning a much more expensive an better sounding one. Make sure and try US Breedloves, Lowdens, Brooks, as well as the big names. There are a lot of nice guitars around, much more than 20 years ago, so enjoy.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    Like ICBM I think it's something you stumble on, I have bought and sold about 100 or so guitars, and out of all those guitars only 3-4 would have been real keepers, if I wasn't so bloody daft!
    As I still sold them on, that is all apart from my Sigma which I have had for 25 years so far!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    I have the Taylor 414CE and really like it, my playing partner got a Martin, also sounds great.

A Pal of ours came round with a Fender, not sure of model but it was nearly 2k, and it did sound good !

I dont think any of the above helps does it...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11885

visit the  acoustic music company in Brighton and frailers in Runcorn. Sorry I keep giving this advice, I don't think there are any places in the UK with more varied stock

I would say there are a lot of £5k guitars that sound better than Taylors, I think they are made to be reliable stage guitars, but make your own mind up. Lowdens and Goodalls particularly impress me.

Buying used will save you a lot of course, and avoid speculation about how a guitar might change over time

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    ToneControl;253395" said:
    visit the  acoustic music company in Brighton and frailers in Runcorn. Sorry I keep giving this advice, I don't think there are any places in the UK with more varied stockI would say there are a lot of £5k guitars that sound better than Taylors, I think they are made to be reliable stage guitars, but make your own mind up. Lowdens and Goodalls particularly impress me.Buying used will save you a lot of course, and avoid speculation about how a guitar might change over time
    Seconded (though I'm a real fan of Taylors).
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Don't spend good money on an acoustic without trying a Collings.  Stunningly good guitars.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    My collings changed the way I thought about acoustics. It sounds like all those old great recordings you hear of D28's and is stunningly well made. It's the first guitar I've come across where the harmonic overtones are easily heard next to the fundamental, resulting in such a massive sound.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    Agree with @tonecontrol on Taylors. I love my 214 and have never played a bad one, but they're not special in the way a good Martin or Collings is. Kinda the acoustic PRS - always brilliant, super reliable but never have that last 1%
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    My lifetime search unfortunately hit an unexpected stop. I have a Taylor 814CE which is very nice indeed, although probably not my 'ultimate' acoustic. I will probably stick with it though as my youngest offspring accidentally damaged it - she knocked the case over when it wasn't full done up and cracked the headstock join! I got a pro repair on it and most people wouldn't notice it, but I'd obviously take a big hit on resale value now as I'm too honest to not point it out. Hence it stays. I'm probably gonna blow £250 on one of those auto tuners as well so another reason to keep it!
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4257
    edited May 2014
    koss59 said:
    My collings changed the way I thought about acoustics. It sounds like all those old great recordings you hear of D28's and is stunningly well made. It's the first guitar I've come across where the harmonic overtones are easily heard next to the fundamental, resulting in such a massive sound.

Agree with this. I have a few Collings and they have changed my view on acoustics. Incredibly dynamic sound, very loud with incredible sustain. They don't appear as warm as Martins at first try, but you can adapt your playing a little and get warmth if required, but having all that amazing mid-range and high end in combination with solid bass becomes something you can't do without. Balanced is the word. I have had a good few high end Martins, and it's a great sound, but tends to be quite limited compared to a Collings. I find the Collings way more addictive to play. Really can't imagine what these guitars are going to sound like in 20 or 30 years.

Also, the neck carves are SO much better for me than Martin equivalents. The Collings tend to have this very soft V neck. Nice and chunky, but comfortable. The high end Martin's have that beast of a Mod V neck, which is pointier and really too big for a lot of people.

And as koss59 says, the build quality is mind blowing. I cannot find the slightest fault anywhere, inside or out. And in terms of stability, I don't think I have even tuned my D3 since I bought it.

Have had a few SCGC guitars and they sound great, but they are too lightly built where it counts. Long term structural stability is not there, and I have seen that first hand in quite a few guitars. Tops caving in around the soundhole, neck resets early in life. You will not get that sort of thing with a Collings, and they are bolt neck anyway, so a reset not big deal even if it needed one.

Had a Bourgeois and they are great guitars. The neck profile is a little too thin though.