I've started that lifetime acoustic search.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    I'd just like to add to what CloudNine said about the neck, it is the nicest profile I've ever played on an acoustic. Also I don't think I tuned mine from buying it till the day I did my first alternate tuning on it.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteadhockSteadhock Frets: 4
    It's such a personal thing and there are so many options out there...budget plays a massive role obviously and if you've got a pretty good one then I've got to mention Patrick James Eggle. His creations easily rank among the best acoustics I've ever played! Always been a Taylor fan myself, something about the GA shape just seems to sit nicely with the way I like to play. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    stickyfiddle;248153" said:
    I'm thinking of embarking on a similar journey when I hit New York in the summer. Would be keen to hear your thoughts on the current Gibson range. I love the idea Hummingbird but have yet to find a great one. J200s are awesome but just so damn big..
    A pal of mine has a Gibbo acoustic that is smaller bodied but still has the same shape as a J200. Can't remember the model name, but I think it's maple. Has a lovely sweet tone, booms like a goodun when you thrash it and is ideal for finger picking.

Personally I adore J-45's but I couldn't justify spending so much on myself.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    That sounds like a J-185 @Skarloey.

/\ Just googled it and yes you're right. J185 it is. Spruce and maple with a blonde finish. Lovely.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Have you tried a USA guild? They truly are amazing instruments :-) I have a 66 f 20, and that's my lifetime guitar
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Not got my hands on a guild yet, still plenty of time. ;-)
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    Skarloey said:
    /\ Just googled it and yes you're right. J185 it is. Spruce and maple with a blonde finish. Lovely.
    The J185 has been on my radar for this exact reason. Most of the benefits of the 200 without the pitfalls.

As for lifetime keepers, mine's my Martin 00017s exactly like this one: http://www.paramountguitars.net/gtr/guitars_Sub_Martin000-17S.htm

Sweetest acoustic I've ever played.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    I think an all Koa Collings 12fret model I tried about 6 years ago might be the best guitar -acoustic or electric - I've ever played. It was awesome in every way. No use me buying such a beast but it was outstanding.
    JohnPerry said:
    Skarloey said:
    The J185 has been on my radar for this exact reason. Most of the benefits of the 200 without the pitfalls.

My friend e-mailed me over a song yesterday that he'd recorded using the J-185. Beautifully balanced tone: quite trebly, but still very balanced. 

If I wasn't so happy with my Takamine Dreadnought I might be tempted too! 
  • Collings are indeed fine guitars, I've owned several and you can't go wrong with any of their models. If you can find one over here though try a Froggy Bottom, I've had many bespoke acoustics over the years and my Froggy Bottom M is by far the best acoustic I've owned. They generally come with Adirondack spruce tops as standard which really extends the tonal range. And yes, the Froggy name is a little unfortunate but it has an interesting meaning which is worth reading up on!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    edited July 2014
    @stuartryanmusic

Amazing guitar mate. And incredible playing. I assume the moment at the end is 'I am meant to be demoing this guitar for sales purposes, but there is no way I am letting go of it, ever.' lol

:D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    JohnPerry said:

As for lifetime keepers, mine's my Martin 00017s exactly like this one: http://www.paramountguitars.net/gtr/guitars_Sub_Martin000-17S.htm

Sweetest acoustic I've ever played.
    And really a looker, very well done !
    B-)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Ah thanks @cloudnine - the sales guy cunningly brought it round to my house for me to try whilst he filmed though I actually ended up playing that guitar on five separate occasions before committing to it - just call me picky!

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Holy cow - that's an amazing sounding guitar... if that's not edited/mixed down in any way after the recording? I mean obviously mic levels to take into consideration but there's no additional reverb or anything else put on it to enhance it, right? 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • No, I don't think there is anything on there at all - I didn't mix it but I know the guy who did and he didn't add reverb or any eq as far as I'm aware. Just mic'd up with a Neumann KM184 and a Gefell. They are great sounding guitars, this is exactly how it sounds in the room with you. I record this one each month for my acoustic column in Guitar Techniques and it's easy to capture. However, I would like to add something with a bit more of a "classic" sound to the collection (D18 perhaps) as this one has a very dominant sound if recorded in a track!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom