looking forward to some Boss DSD-3

gambitgambit Frets: 5
i drunk-bought one on ebay to see what the fuss is about..

the videos showing the trigger input sold me on it, but also very interested in how it sounds compared to the DD-3/5/7's i've owned.. and the RV-2 delay aswell..

so.. do they have the mojo's?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    I used a borrowed one (alongside my own DD-3) for a few gigs back in the 90s. I never used the sample feature (which is pretty basic compared to modern kit) but it was a good basic delay. I think I'm right in saying they are identical to the early 'long chip' DD-3s as regards the delays. It certainly sounded pretty much identical to my DD-3 on those gigs.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    They have the mojo :).

Cool pedal, although I could ever find any real use for the sampling function. The delay part is basically a DD-2 without the shortest mode.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    What they said...

I've had one of these on my board since 92. The sample thing is a bit gimmicky tbh. However, the delay is great - in fact, I also own a DMM, a TRex Reptile, a modded PB&J and a Line6 DL4... the DSD is still my fave for live use. Maybe it's because I know exactly how to get the best out of it for my sound...

A few years ago, these things were as popular as saying the n word on radio... You could honestly get them on eBay for £30-50. Now folks are waking up that these 'long chip' Boss Delays sound epic...

Good score, fella - I wouldn't be without one (I think I own three currently!)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Never heard of this one! Seems like a pretty innovative pedal.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Those early DD-2/DD-3 and DSD-2/DSD-3 delays are really musical. I've still got my trusty old DD-3 on my board and it never lets me down. A bit short of 'bells and whistles' compared to modern pedals but great sounding. They manage to be 'clean' and 'warm' at the same time. Very musical, reliable, no-fuss - Boss at their best.

It's interesting how Boss, rather than dropping the price of the DD-2 when component prices dropped, decided to release a cheaper (but otherwise identical) DD-3 instead - I bet retailers with stocks of DD-2s thanked them for that. Probably added to the cachet that surrounds DD-2s these days as well.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    edited May 2014
    My DD2 has the mojo, oh yes !

When I completed that huge delay journey/review a few months ago, I acquired my DD2 through the 'bay, and was shocked at how it sounded. It survived the cull, and is a keeper...

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Boss DD2/DD22.jpg