Historics v standards

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Yes. Aside from the two piece boards in '12.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Not many opportunities to try CS models in NI but seriously pining for an R8 after trying a nice one 2 years ago in GAK, Southend - that neck! Great GAS inducing thread :D
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• ForgeForge Frets: 431

These 2 make me tick:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    '54 BB would be the one.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    At the last count I've owned about 5 Standards over the years (from the 1970s, 80s, 90s) and a few more Historics - R4, R6, 2xR7, 2xR8s, 3xR9s - and all the Historics have been better guitars than any of the Standards. I've sold them all on at various times and for various reasons and just kept an R7 and an R9 but I wouldn't consider having a Standard now. It's hard to say exactly why the Historics are better but to me it's the neck shapes, the lighter weight, the more authentic looking finishes, and the fact that they just 'feel' better and sound nicer to my ears.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    ^ this...

I have had numerous Standards, Customs etc and am a self confessed GAS addict..and will generally not think twice about selling something if I get the urge for something else..

The R7 has stayed the longest and I will never sell it...much as @fretfinder above, the whole guitar's vibe just feels and sounds better than a normal run Standard..
    You are not helping my R7 GAS! :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    I have owned a nice R7 too (I would have kept it but I need to get a Custom again!)

They are great guitars and can be had at great prices too.  Mine was a 2008 darkback and I got it for £1500 in mint condition.
    Forge said:

Aw mate, we're not here to help. We're here to help you spend your money.    :)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    edited May 2014
    If your tone is predominantly hard overdrive then the subtleties of a woody bright guitar are less significant. But if you use any tonal versatility then the benefits of a hysteric are usually quite apparant (but as stated there are some also rans).

The current traditional model is effectively the old standard and the current standard is just a modern take of a Les Paul (The LP has always evolved and long may that continue).

In the end you have to play them all and take home the one that speaks to you irrespective of the label.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited May 2014
    jd0272 said:
    Forge said:

DIdn't you know that everyone here apart from you is secretly employed by a guitar shop and this whole forum is a conspiracy to make you part with your money!!
    crunchman said:
    jd0272 said:
    Forge said:

DIdn't you know that everyone here apart from you is secretly employed by a guitar shop and this whole forum is a conspiracy to make you part with your money!!

Got none mate. Mrs and 3 kids take care of that for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014

That's what I thought!

The R7 has been long coming - I have been selling gear toward it for a little while, actually since my mate told me he would be selling his.

Just another 2 guitars to sell...I am not putting another penny in the gear fund.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kelv_wkelv_w Frets: 260
    Historics are just another league compared to the USA line. Also they are much lighter without any chambering or weight relieved one piece back. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited May 2014
    Have not played a 2014 Standard so I must resist the temptation to comment.        

:-S

• ClingyClingy Frets: 19
    I have had a LPR9 (2012) for 18 months now but was asked to set up a 2013 Standard for a friend.  The differences were significant.  Firstly the Custombuckers had a whole different tone and, in my view, far superior in to to the Burstbuckers in the Standard.  Next the finish was pretty poor on the Standard with the lacquer missing in places, the pickguard fitted wrong and the guitar not set-up at all well.   The CS was nothing short of perfect (and at present still is!).  But most importantly the tone....pickup differences aside, tone is in a different league.  Of course this is subjective.  Weight wise, the guitars were very similar...the Standard is chambered the CS not.

Having said all that I am comparing, at RSP prices, a £4800 guitar against a £2000 one.  If I could only afford the Standard I would be happy enough.
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    I loved my R8 but it was a bit awkward to play, sounded great, had an 08 std, hated it, had a bashed in 90's standard and loved it. Cost wise my R8 was only marginally more than the std's are now, hard to say if its worth the extra dough tone wise but they have tonnes of mojo and are definitely a cut above in quality...at least they were when I had mine.

I'm not being much help am I?