Just Quit My Band

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17571
in Live tFB Trader
I posted about it a while ago, and at the time I was planning to keep on with it, but I think it was finally time to cut it loose. 

We've been arsing around doing the occasional gig and not quite getting it together for nearly three years. Our exceptional drummer quit a couple of months ago and I've been pondering following him for a while. 

The final straw was a gig last night. We've known about it for a couple of months so I arranged a dep drummer who we've known for ages and has played with us before and suggested we do a set only containing songs he already knows, one practice play the gig. 

Instead they piss about getting another drummer in because they want someone who can do that one and another one in a months time as well, and then come up with a set full of songs that we've never played before (despite my requests to play it safe), then tell the dep drummer the wrong songs, or wrong versions of songs we're doing. We only had a couple of practices during which they continually changed the arrangements and keys of the songs with the net result that we played a really shambolic set with the keyboard player playing in a completely different key to the rest of us for one song. I wouldn't mind, but we're a really good band when we get our shit together.
Most of the new songs were also real wedding band shit like Spice Girls and 9 to 5 which was not what the band was set up to do.

If that wasn't enough we had arranged that we would get to the venue to set up at 6 as the party started at 7 and the keyboard player was meant to be there beforehand to set up a PA he had arranged. We get there to find that he hasn't turned up and leaves me to set up a PA I've never used before without all the cables (literally borrowing cables out of the back of kettles to power the PA). He then rolls in at 8:30 and moans about the way that it's been set up.

It's a shame as I've sunk a lot of time and effort into it, but it was getting to the point where practices had a really frosty atmosphere when it had been really good fun.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Hope you manage to find something that suits. Sucks when things get like that, in my last band a couple of the guys would frequently turn up two hours late for band practices. Taking the dog for a walk, and then having a bath before getting to the practice room (and when they turned up, they'd have a bag of chips with them!).
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    What sort of stuff shall we play??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72234
    @monquixote - yes, it's crap having to quit a band, but that lot of incompetent arses gave you no choice. Move on… you'll find something better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    Good luck looking for a new band, Nick. It can feel awful when you feel something that was so good and had such potential just turns sour.

We've had exactly the same situation where our particularly prickly drummer had been moaning and griping for months about the songs, the arrangements, the rehearsals etc. The last straw was when he kicked off about someone arranging a gig in a pub which was upstairs and he didn't want to carry all his gear upstairs (despite the fact we all chip in). Cue shouting match and a flounce. Two days later, got in another drummer. He fit right in at the first tryout and even songs which we've been playing for three years seemed fresh and exciting again. Time between flounce, new drummer and next gig: two weeks.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    big bummer
    :(
    feel for you
    know where you're at
    and the music clips you posted a while back were great
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30865
    I'm sorry to hear this.

Top tip: cite 'musical differences' as your reason for walking out.....works every time.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17571
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the good words chaps. 

I pretty much just told it like it was. 

I've just heard from the bass player that he's quit as well which comes as no surprise as he was as fed up with as I was from what he'd said to me.

Still onward and upwards.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Sounds like you had no choice given the silly behaviour.

Shame it came to that for you but maybe summat better is on the horizon. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    That's pretty crap to have to go through. It sounds like it was inevitable and you're better off without that sort of hassle. If it was the Sister "E" band, I liked the demos you put up on here.

Maybe they will regret what they had and change for the better, at least you know you are willing to put in the effort, so hopefully you'll meet some more like-minded musicians in future.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    tFB Trader
    That's pretty crap to have to go through. It sounds like it was inevitable and you're better off without that sort of hassle. If it was the Sister "E" band, I liked the demos you put up on here.

Maybe they will regret what they had and change for the better, at least you know you are willing to put in the effort, so hopefully you'll meet some more like-minded musicians in future.

Yes that's the very same band.

I don't have a lot of time so I have to clear the decks before I can get anything new going. Hoping new fun things come my way.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    They sound like a bunch of cunts. Run away!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72234
    edited May 2014
    Hmmm… so if the original drummer left, and the bassist has now followed you… maybe you should get together and look for a new singer ;). Unless you (or one of the others) can sing, in which case - Power Trio :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    To be honest, it sounds like you're going to have a lot less weight on your mind without them. It sucks, but a temporary sense of loss is better than a permanent source of stress.

I've got my own band issues (well, issue) at the moment, but I'm not entirely sure I can say anything given that don't know if the guys are reading this... ;)
    <space for hire>
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    @digitalscram
    wear your 'thefretboard' t-shirt next practice
    If they ask 'what's that' you know you can post what the heck you like

;)
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited May 2014
    This is posted here for moral support.

If it was a romantic relationship going this way you would shoot it and put it out of it's misery,
    or is that horses ?
    I am easily confused by these things.

Great chance to refresh life and find some musicians that care and can play well together, in every sense, then it will be worth all the effort.  That will bring the joy back.

BTW @Cirrus I didn't know you could get them in bunches now, a bit like roses but more pouty ? hmmmm  ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Don't get me excited at this time of night! :-O
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I bet you feel like a great weight has been lifted off your shoulders now though. Leaving that kind of band would've been an easy decision for me.

I'm really lucky to be in a band where everyone gets along great, and all are happy with their respective roles. Some do more than others too.

But the bare minimum you have to be is professional. When someone else has been good enough to book you to entertain at their party, you have to be able to trust everyone is going to turn up on time, with all agreed learning or work done and go out of their way to make it a great night.

The whole point of being in a band is because you love playing. If the lack of dedication in your band members is pissing you off before you even start. It's time to find some other like-minded players.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    werent you looking at forming a new band anyway a few weeks ago?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    tFB Trader
    werent you looking at forming a new band anyway a few weeks ago?
    Indeed I was, partially because of the frustrations of my (now ex) band. 

I actually got together with them last night for a quick blast and it was awesome. I was just wishing we had a singer and to be honest I'd be happy to set up in a pub and play what we rehearsed. It was sounding tight and full of energy. 

I had more fun playing than I've had in months.

One door closes, another one opens.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Nice to hear things moving back in the right direction. Crap when a band with potential ends badly. Good luck finding a singist for the new crew B-)
    Seemed like a good idea.....