Anyone got a Sunlion? What pedals are you using with your Plexi?

What's Hot
LewLew Frets: 1657
edited May 2014 in FX
I'm considering selling a few bits off to fund one. I don't see them used so I guess new is the only way. Imagine it'll work out a bit pricey though with shipping and customs etc? I've not actually played one either but it looks like they sound great for a Plexi style amp? 

I know Plexis and fuzzes generally don't like each other which is annoying as I love fuzz and love the Plexi tone. I'm using a dedicated amp for fuzz at the moment and a dedicated amp for crunch which frankly is a pain in the ass. Fuzzface variants seem to be the best option for Plexis although my Axis Fuzz doesn't really like it either.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Thoughts? Ta!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    How clean are you running your amp?

I have had a Sunlion, several Beano Boosts and several Sunface's. The Sunlion I had had a very dark Sunface side, which I didn't particularly like. Every Sunface I've had has been different, though.

I would try a treble booster before anything else. Stacked after your fuzz it will help a lot with definition.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited May 2014
    Pretty clean by most peoples standards I think. I'm uploading a video on YouTube at the minute. I've tried running the amp dead clean and it just doesn't jive, it sounds really thin and high endy where as my other amp clean with fuzz sounds like a total monster. I'm running humbuckers too. Very annoying as I want both tones in the same box!

Edit: This much gain 8)

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Hmm, that should be rip snorting with a Fuzz Face. Have you got any buffers in your chain? Or anything before the fuzz - a wah or something?

Fuzz Faces never work with clean amps for me, just like Muffs never work with dirty amps. Very odd.
    edited May 2014
    Nope. Guitar-fuzz-amp.

Well, I do have an optional buffer on my Malekko 600B but that's in the loop and I've tried it with and without it plugged in. No difference.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    edited May 2014

The Axis will require a bit of dirt from your amp or it will sound thin and trebly, the design has something to do with it ...it was made to have more clarity while playing chords.

The Sunlion is a FF coupled to a treble booster, a switch to swap the effects order wold add a ton of flexibility.

I use a variety of fuzzes with my plexi, no issues - the only ones that did not work were the Axis and a Fuzzwar.

I would recommend a punchy FF type pedal with 2-3 voice settings coupled to a treble booster in the same box, same thing for the booster, you want 3 voice settings to carve your tone easily.  Plus you want a switch to change the order of the circuits for maximum flexibility.

Not too bad to build as a PNP battery operated pedal,  

I am doing a similar one at the moment (proto stage): Tonebender MK1.5 + Treble Booster

edited May 2014
    Thanks, Forge. That's interesting. It definitely does sound alot different if I crank the gain on the amp but I want to keep the amps gain level as is. What FF pedals would you recommend? Or d'ya reckon go straight to the Sunlion?

It is pretty much the same as the Sunface is a Fuzzface - the lion part is a standalone Treble Booster you can stack or use on its own but equally this design needs a nice amount of dirt from the amp.  

If you keep your amp clean you will need something a bit more muscular. Have you considered a Tonebender MKII type pedal? It works both with clean and crunchy channels and cleans up with the guitar volume but not quite as much as a Fuzz Face.  I have one in my lineup I could send you for a test with your setup.

edited May 2014
    Thanks, Forge. I've not tried one but I'll have a read. I'm not to bothered about how it cleans up. I'm going for the amp on fire sound and figured that a FF variant would be the best option with the level of gain I'm using in the above clip
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    I don't have a Sunlion or a Plexi style amp at the moment but if you send me your Morgan I'll let know what fuzz of mine works best with it! ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014
    Nick, I keep meaning to message you and ask if there's any movement happening on that front.

Just send me the fuzzes and I'll let ya know.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24269
    Probably not what you were thinking about but... the Fuzz Face model on the Digitech iStomp is very good AND behaves much better with plexi type amps than a real fuzz.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I don't have a plexi but the CAA PT50 has a 'plexi' transformer and is roughly in the ballpark of a hotrodded marshall.

I use a Klon, Zendrive, KOT and Emma Stinkbug (TS style) with it.
    Not heard of an istomp 'till now but yea, not for me. Cool concept, though.

Ah, luck you the PT looks really good. I just use a TS from @Juansolo and a RM Axis that strangely has been behaving with the rest of the gear this week and sounding rather good. Guess that's the nature of fuzz! I'm slow on the Klon thing, never tried one.

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Have boards, can klone ;)
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    @nickb_boy What is the fuzz/trem thing on the top right? Fuzz and Trem are my two favourite things in life these days.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    @gusman2x that's a Walrus Audio - Janus.
    It's a hell of a lot of fun. The joysticks give a lot of tone and mixing scope. Not the most gig friendly or pedal board friendly size, but a superb experimental design.
    Got it in as a part ex and not considered letting it go since!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Juansolo It's on my to buy list ;)