Tell me about the 50's Tribute Les Pauls...

What's Hot
JadedJaded Frets: 127
Been playing my Dad's R7 quite a bit recently and I've fallen in love with the huge neck and flat fretboard. It got me thinking about P90's and goldtops again, figured I could sell a Jaguar and pick up one of the 50's tributes with the cash.

So what are they like? I've noticed they're no longer a limited run and seem to have different specs than before (black pickup covers as opposed to the white ones, dark back as opposed to the lighter mahogany and they don't seem have the "faux-binding" around the edge). So is there any real difference between the pre-2014 ones other that cosmetics? 

Also how would the neck, weight, frets etc compare to the R7? 

...another thought occurred to me, what is the neck angle like on them? Should I get one, it'll be getting a Bigsby and ideally I'd prefer a B3 if possible (they feel smoother to me than the ones with a tension bar), though a B7 is just fine. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Can't comment on the latest ones, but I have one of the original run from 2010 (the limited edition ones) and it is wonderful. The back of mine appears to be one piece (I've seen a couple of others that appear to be the same) and the proper rosewood board is actually really nice quality. The see through/smoked rear covers are a bit 'odd' really... but I've left mine alone.

Only real issue with it was the nut was cut badly from the factory as normal and the selector switch has died (probs me being a bit violent with it using it as a kill switch).

I'd say the original run models were some of the best playing/sounding Les Pauls I've seen for a long time. And my Goldtop seems to put a big smile on everyone's face who has played it so far.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I honestly can't remember whether mine's a 50s or 60s tribute.  :\">

It looks like this;

I think if you're going to get one, definitely try a few in person. I tried one in a shop in Stevenage which turned me on to them, it was pretty cool. Then I tried another three in Guitar Guitar Birmingham side by side, of which one was far and away the best feeling and sounding - they set me up in an iso room with an AC30hw so it was a nice familiar setup for me. I didn't even get embarrassed when I noticed that the glass doors weren't up to containing the sound of a cranked vox, that's when I decided I must like the guitar. >:D<

The other two didn't quite feel right under my fingers - the neck/ fretboard join was a bit obvious and the frets felt rough as I moved up and down the neck. One of them had some fairly major intonation issues. Probably something a set up would have sorted, but the gold top I chose felt perfect as it was.

The neck angle is quite sharp - the bridge P90 has to be cranked pretty high, and the Tailpiece can only be screwed down (I prefer this) if you wrap the strings over it. IIRC they were all like that, though I think the one I picked has the steepest neck.

They're not heavy guitars. I think they're chambered. No issues with sustain though, and if anything I think the lighter body gives them a little something in the low end. And the P90s are great sounding, though one of mine went a bit too microphonic to be practical after 18 months so I replaced it.

The finish is relatively simple which I guess is reflected in the lower price, and it'll age quite fast unless you really baby it. So that's a consideration if you care about that kind of thing (I don't).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    I have owned one of the original run P90 50s Tribute and an R7 recently.  The Tribute was very light as it was chambered, and the neck is a nice round 50s shape but not as think as the R7.  I really liked the Tribute but I moved it on not long after I got the R7 as I was playing that a lot more.  The Tribute was a great guitar though and for the money they go for I would highly recommend one.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3069

I've played one of the original gold Tributes (a 60?) at a rehearsal and A/B'd it with my 95 Std - Very favourable, the stock p90s are good and the fingerboard was lovely... a lot of guitar for the money. I fancy one now!

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    edited May 2014
    I have an original run 50's tribute gold top (white p90's, dark back etc) that I'll be looking to move on shortly if you do decide you fancy one. Will be cheap too. Fling me a pm if you would like to know more. Mark
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Much sucking of teeth......

Personally, graft hard and save for an R7. I've had a few and they were glorious (the 2001 was positively nuclear, no idea why I traded that. Oh aye, a Nocaster). Played a couple of '50's Trib's and in fairness, v good for the money. But not GOOD R7. But then I am a bit 'wanky' about guitars.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    I think the 60s tribute versions have a more playable neck profile...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Thanks for the opinions, I should be heading to Denmark Street at some point this/next week so hopefully I'll be able to try some out..

Ideally I'd love to sell some stuff and save up a bit and just go for an R6 but at nearly £2000 a pop I'm not really sure that's all too likely any time soon. 
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    A student of mine has a 2013 50s Tribute, and whilst it sounds good, to me it just feels ..... cheap.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    Check out the Faber guitars on the German Tokai website, they have some 54 and 56 type goldtops.