2 2x12 cabs

What's Hot
thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316

I have a hankering to put my H&K statesman thro a 4x12.  I currently use  2x12 (2 16ohms wired to 8).  Have an option to buy a 4x12 of course, but I do wonder if  I would be better with getting another 2x12 cab.     The Statesman can take 4,8,16 ohms and for two cabs, needs 2x8 ohm inputs which equates to 16ohms.

Obviousyl with my current cab, that doesn't fit, so I was wondering about the wiring options? I could i run the signal from my cab to another 8ohm total load cab?? or anything else. Also, what would the wiring look like?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    With another 8-ohm cab you need either a splitter cable or a cab with a parallel output so you can connect both cabs to the 4-ohm speaker jack, or alternatively a series cable so you can connect both to the 16-ohm jack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    ICBM said:
    With another 8-ohm cab you need either a splitter cable or a cab with a parallel output so you can connect both cabs to the 4-ohm speaker jack, or alternatively a series cable so you can connect both to the 16-ohm jack.

ah that sounds the badger.  And where would one recommend to purchase one of these miracle cables??

KaBL - http://www.kablonline.com

Which to go for probably depends on what else you might want to use it for, and/or the type of sound you want... there will be a slight sound difference. Running the amp at 16 ohms should give a brighter, more lively tone; running at 4 should give a deeper, heavier tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• ICBM said:
    Running the amp at 16 ohms should give a brighter, more lively tone; running at 4 should give a deeper, heavier tone.
    OT:

Is the difference between 8 and 16 as pronounced?  I've got two OS V30 412 cabs at the minute, the Blackstar Straight S1 (always used it as 16 ohms) and I just picked up a Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Straight (8 ohms).  They sound very different despite having almost identical dimensions.  The only real difference in construction is the Blackstar has the backwards leaning baffle like on a Marshall, the Mesa is completely straight. The Blackstar has noticeably more high end than the Mesa cab, which is definitely darker and a bit chunkier sounding.   FWIW I found the same even when recording the Blackstar vs a Mesa 2x12 (also 8 ohms), despite being half the size the Mesa cab was much darker and wasn't far off producing as much low end.  I think I'll probably do a review and comparison some point in the future.
    You can't do a fair comparison there because too many factors are different - even including the speakers. 8 and 16-ohm versions of the same speakers don't sound quite the same. A lot of Mesa users think their OEM V30s have a slightly different spec from the standard ones and sound darker too - I've never directly A/B'd them with the same amp and cab though, so I'm not sure.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited August 2013
    I've not tried speaker swapping either.

The only test I've done so far was a while back.  DI -> Visual Sound 808 -> Blackstar S104 EL34 OD1 -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 V30s (8 ohm cab) / Blackstar S1412B V30s (16 ohm cab) -> SM57, as close to identical positioning as possible.  Blackstar cab first, Mesa second.  I wasn't expecting such a big difference myself before I actually started A/Bing.

There is definitely a noticeable difference in the room between the above two cabs and my recently purchased Rectifier Straight 4x12 too.
  • Rob from Kabl said he didn't think he could make that cable.  But I did find this, which is perfect for what I was talking about.

http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/CAB-M-Passive-Cabinet-Merger-PCABM.htm