Anyone else looking forward to the new Arcade Fire album?

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8534

I've only discovered them in the last year or so but love all three of their albums, roll on 29th October. Any other fans out there?

Just thought I'd post this anyhow, I've heard better vocals from them but otherwise I love this performance, better on headphones than PC speakers as lots going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab2DDmwYVQw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5372
    I love Arcade Fire. They get better with each album so yes, I'm excited about the new album!
    Saw them at T in the Park a few years ago and they were amazing.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27568
    I thought the last one a definite step down in quality.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Really? I loved it.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27568
    I should give it another go, but all I can remember of it is "plinky plinky". A bit Chaz & Dave.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I too think "suburbs" is the strongest.
    Suburbs has a real Springsteen flavour to it.
    Which is odd, cos I'm no Springsteen fan yet I love that album.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    I'm a huge springsteen fan and thought Suburbs was a bit rubbish in places. Neon Buble is my favourite over all.

Looking forward to the new one though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    edited August 2013
    I thought they were all the same album ;).

I quite liked them at first, but they really only do that one thing. I suppose if you like that, they're great - I just found it got boring very quickly. I'll have a listen to the new album but expect to be disappointed... so I suppose there's at least a chance of not being :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Hmmm, interesting what others perceptions are, I don't hear Springsteen at all! And I think they are really varied in their approach - the clip I've posted has a real Blondie vibe (especially on the album recording), and the next song will be something completely different, whilst still sounding like them.
  • I like a lot of their songs but they've been overkilled on the radio here, they come from Montreal, about 250 miles down the river and local radio does that to local and not quite local artists.  The Tragically Hip is from Kingston, where I live, and while I also like a lot of their music I've never felt the need to go buy it, I could just turn on radio, one of the local stations is almost guaranteed to be playing one of their songs.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    edited August 2013
    dindude said:
    Hmmm, interesting what others perceptions are, I don't hear Springsteen at all! And I think they are really varied in their approach - the clip I've posted has a real Blondie vibe (especially on the album recording), and the next song will be something completely different, whilst still sounding like them.
    I don't hear Blondie, apart from just a tiny hint in her voice on a few notes. I think it has a bit of a Of Monsters And Men sound - another band who do one fairly samey thing in slightly various ways, but all essentially sound the same - only OMAM are more lively and a bit quirkier. I know Arcade Fire came first and it wouldn't surprise me if they're a big influence.

Both bands also remind me of Mumford And Sons (I really didn't want to say that since I can't stand them, but it's true) in that they have too many musicians playing very similar rhythms all the time, which is why all their stuff sounds the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

^^^ OK, I won't lie, you've very much lost me now. Although I have at least learnt that your answer to my initial question is probably a "no" ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Me!
    I enjoy Arcade Fire a lot. I always enjoy dreamscape imagery in song lyrics, (lyrics are a strong point of Arcade Fire) and I think "samey" is quite an unfair accusation to level at them. Certainly no more samey than the next band. Some tracks fall totally flat to me, and others shine - there are a few bands (CAKE springs to mind) where ANY track, on a particular day, will have me thinking "wow, this is great, how come I've overlooked this one til now?", but there are a few misses with Arcade Fire, especially when they wander too close to dirgey. (Crown of Love) 

Suburbs is a real grower. You have to listen to it until it's under your skin, but to me it's up there with the first two. My favourites are Sprawl II (above), Suburban War, Sprawl I and City With No Children.
    Someone once said to me that your favourite album by a band is whichever one you heard first; I joined at Neon Bible, and it's still my favourite album.  

Mumford and Sons are twee poppy pseudo-folk-for-hipsters-and-mums rich kids, and they annoy me. 
    If you like Arcade Fire, give Granddaddy a listen. 
    And not that they're like Arcade Fire at all, but because I mentioned them - if you haven't heard a CAKE album yet, go and download Comfort Eagle. 
    The only cake I know is short skirt/long jacket (love it) and a cover they did, can't remember what it was now (please remind me!) but it was good. I'll check out Grandaddy as you appear to be on a similar wave length. I agree that not every AF song hits the mark, but the albums hang together as a whole (rare these days) and there are enough that fall into the "stunning" category. There is also far more substance to them than the comparisons made elsewhere in this thread, IMO.
    If you haven't listened to Intervention from Neon Bible through a massive soundsystem somewhere, it's quite an experience! (I used to work as a projectionist, and had lots of opportunity to treat the main screen as some kind of massive hi-fi listening room...)
    It would probably have been I Will Survive, or perhaps Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps. Rock & Roll Lifestyle, Italian Leather Sofa and Commissioning a Symphony in C are all from different albums, and I love 'em all. (Mission "Test Out Neat Hyperlinking Feature Of New Forum": SUCCESS)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Yep, count me amongst the excited fans! I love their albums equally, maybe just depending on how I feel on a particular day...
  • dindude said:
    The only cake I know is short skirt/long jacket (love it) and a cover they did, can't remember what it was now (please remind me!) but it was good.
    Cake covered Black Sabbaths "War Pigs", and you may also have heard a song that might be called "Going The Distance".  They say that a lot in it anyway.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

Yup, I will survive was what I was thinking of, but also know going the distance.