Anyone know of a coated set of 8's?

Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
I'm usually rather fond of 10's on my Dean Soltero, but the set of Elixr 10's I have on the strat keep popping out the nut (well the high e does anyway, not sure if because of lack of string tree...) However, seeing at the strat never goes out of E or Eb I'm going back to 8's. I just love how bendy they are! But does anyone know of a company that does a coated set? EXP, Cobalt, titanium etc. seeing as I'd quite like them to last a while... If necessary I'll just go back to the D'addario standard 8's I used before. 
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Cue barrage of replies telling you to use heavier strings. ;)
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    You can talk Martin...

Although there's plenty of highly respected players using 8&9 gauge strings.

Check out some DR Stringlife - works well.
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Here's a link, it's a polymer that sticks to the string, giving them a coating.

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/915793/dr-stringlife-guitar-string-treatment/
  • It also sounds like you might need a new nut, or at least you might need that one sorting out.

My local tech told me about a Suhr he had in at the shop that kept having the E string pop out of the nut.  His suggestion to fix it was to just cut a new nut, PRS style, with high shoulders.  That did the trick apparently.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I don't have a string tree on it, and it was probably cut for 9's anyway, the thinner strings and a tree will sort it ;) cheers Van Hayden, will take a look!
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    You can talk Martin...
    Eh?
    :-/