Tunings and temperaments

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10682
If anyone's interested in the deviations between the 1/4 comma meantone system, pythagorean stacked 5ths system (with added wolf), and our good ole 12-TET system, I just stumbled across the most fantastic resource here: it's definitely the most accurate, user-friendly and comprehensive site I've found anywhere.  http://www.ppexpressivo.co.uk/
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    On the bottom of P1, I disagree with 3 of the relative minors:

the relative minors of the major keys F#, B, E are D#, G#, and C# respectively, not Eb, Ab, and Db, although I agree that the notes Eb Ab and Db are (in equal temperament) the enharmonic equivalents of D# G# and C#

I can see why they've done it that way but it looks wrong

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    edited May 2014
    Yep, I thought it was strange at first but, as you say, it's clear why they've done it like that, because the left hand side is arranged in sequence of circle of 5ths, and the right hand side is an offset replication of that. So they've done it like that to keep consistency. Good isn't it though? As a collection of all the important temperaments.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8695
    edited May 2014
    IMO this link needs to be indexed under Theory & Technique
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    viz said:
    Yep, I thought it was strange at first but, as you say, it's clear why they've done it like that, because the left hand side is arranged in sequence of circle of 5ths, and the right hand side is an offset replication of that. So they've done it like that to keep consistency. Good isn't it though? As a collection of all the important temperaments.
    It is an awesome site. One thing that I'd have liked it to have made even clearer/more explicit, is the subject of "the octave". First, to define diapason as the phenomenon of doubling frequency when string or pipe length is halved. Second, to introduce octave as the commonly used word for that phenomenon but as it means 8 notes it really only applies in the western european diatonic system. Third, to explain that the diatonic system divides the diapason up into 12 semitones, some of which are given greater emphasis than others when constructing 8-note scales. The use of the word octave, to define, er the "octave", is IMO unhelpful because pupils will see it as 8 notes not as the physical phenomenon of string length halving/frequency doubling.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)

Absolutely! And what's more, why don't we call it the tredectave for the chromaticists among us? Besides it's not only the diatonic family that have 8 notes, but 65 other scale families, and as you say, the 12 notes are not the only possible notes. I normally listen to music with 31 notes in the diapason anyway, so I call the octave a trigintaduotave.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    wowsers

12 semitones is enuff for me :)
    ;)