Pickup coil tape

Calling all pickup Gurus

What tape can I use to wrap my first ever pickup wind? Can I use wiring loom tape i.e. this stuff 
Or can I simply use masking tape?
Any one got a supplier of appropriate tape. Dont need mountains of the stuff

Thanks in advance

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

If you can find some I would have thought 1/4" splicing tape as used for magnetic tape editing would be ideal?

About the right size and does not "ooze" and go sticky.

Dave.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Is this for a humbucker or single coil?
    Nitto tape - Japanese stuff is what many use 
    the cloth tape I think is uded to hang decorative plates - the paper backed stuff I don't know
    Try allparts or Axesrus or stewmac

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Transformer winding tape is pretty good too.
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 94
    Thanks all it's for single coil at the mo 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Lateral thinking suggestion - try Velox rim tape. It's a sturdy cloth tape with good adhesive that is used to line bicycle wheel rims, covering the spoke holes on the rim bed so the inner tube isn't punctured.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10371
    edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    What sort of single coil? Strat pickups don't need tape ... Tele ones use string! P90s use Nitto tape as Jonathan says ... for most jobs personally I use rayon/cotton tape from a US supplier. It's expensive, but it survives potting well (with an elastic band for security). (Bugger)Allparts do the Japanese paper tape when they have it in. For finishing the outside of Tele pickups etc if I don't use string, I use vintage motorcycle loom tape ... very similar to the roll you show ... but beware it doesn't stand potting well ... so it tends to get used to protect after the pickup comes out of the soup! And if the rolls are going cheap it's probably because it's been stored badly and the glue layer is separating from the cloth!!!
    :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message