Back to pedals! opinions, alternatives etc... would be great

firks91firks91 Frets: 104
edited May 2014 in FX
Hey guys, 

so yeah for the past few years ive been using the g system and nova system, however ive come to a point where ive had it with the multi effects malarkey for these reasons: 

- difficulty (for me) with setting sounds that im completely happy with 
- hate tc chorus (may again be my inability to program the effect but doubt it)
- want ease of use again

im planning to push the boat out and get a gigrig g2 to control it all as iam just not a pedal dancer. my list of effects is as follows in no particular order:

- strymon time line or tc flashback x4 - definite
- strymon big sky or eventide blackhole - definite 
- strymon mobius - definite
- wampler ego, xotic sp, or suggestions?
- not really needed but maaaybeee an od pedal eg.  wampler dual fusion, tim or suggestions?
- koko boost, mini spark, ep booster or suggestions?
- ehx micro synth or hog - opinions?

thats all i think i'll be needing at the moment but if you guys can offer your experience on the pedals or suggest alternatives, that would be much obliged :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Get the three big Strymons, all fantastic (I have the Big Sky, would love the Timeline, and while you're at it you might as well get the Mobius for chorus and whatever else modulation you need.

Ignore the Wampler Dual Fusion, I was quite disappointed with that one.

The Koko Boost is fantastic, is the new single button one out yet?

I had a Micro Synth for a while, utterly mad pedal. Stick a compressor before it is a the one tip I can give, then make mad glitchy noises with it...get bored and sell it on (I couldn't come up with any real world practical use for it).

• firks91firks91 Frets: 104
    edited May 2014
    ah yeah the mobius, completely forgot about that. thats an option. that said, even though i do want to push the boat out and get the stuff i want, i dont want to spend anymore than i really have to. the thought of 1200 + for the 3 strymons is quite terrifying haha.  i'll have to see how it works out with the other pedals.

really? i have heard nothing but good things about the dual fusion. i dont need an od really speaking, thats why it was a maybe. 

i believe the single koko is out but i could be wrong. 

i was hoping i could make use of the synth for stuff that really should have something other than a guitar playing the part. just to try and sound a tad more appropriate. it can do a fuzz too cant it?
    firks91 said:

really? i have heard nothing but good things about the dual fusion. i dont really need an od really speaking, thats why it was a maybe. 

I sold it on here as well, and I'm pretty sure the guy who had it after me had the same opinion and sold it on again. I just didn't find anything special about it, totally overrated for the price (in my opinion). The Tim you suggested is a great pedal if you can get one (he only makes the Timmy these days). Only thing I didn't like about the Tim was the height, it's a very tall pedal indeed and didn't fit nicely in my board (Diago). I use a Timmy these days.

firks91 said:

really? i have heard nothing but good things about the dual fusion. i dont really need an od really speaking, thats why it was a maybe. 

I sold it on here as well, and I'm pretty sure the guy who had it after me had the same opinion and sold it on again. I just didn't find anything special about it, totally overrated for the price (in my opinion). The Tim you suggested is a great pedal if you can get one (he only makes the Timmy these days). Only thing I didn't like about the Tim was the height, it's a very tall pedal indeed and didn't fit nicely in my board (Diago). I use a Timmy these days.

well iam surprised if im honest! i really liked the idea of  the 2 in 1 convenience and stacking too :(

oh sorry yes i did mean the timmy.

i really dont want a big board (which it will end up being with these pedals) so i will likely look into the gr cases style of having a shelf of pedals on top of the normal row of pedals. 

I really wanted to like it (The Dual Fusion). It was the vintage/paisley side that I found very lacking, and I'd planned on using that as my main sound, then bringing in the modern/euphoria for certain songs. The paisley was just pretty weak and lacking, totally blown out of the water with the Timmy.

Worked well stacked though, but didn't give me the versitility I wanted.

I'm sure other people love it, but for me it's the most disapointed I've been with a drive pedal.

just look into the mobius a bit more. im definitely going to try get one of those i think!

I really wanted to like it (The Dual Fusion). It was the vintage/paisley side that I found very lacking, and I'd planned on using that as my main sound, then bringing in the modern/euphoria for certain songs. The paisley was just pretty weak and lacking, totally blown out of the water with the Timmy.

Worked well stacked though, but didn't give me the versitility I wanted.

I'm sure other people love it, but for me it's the most disapointed I've been with a drive pedal.

ahh right! i was hoping the vintage side would be good as thats the side id use most

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    I absolutely love the SP Comp so that would be the top pic from me. If you have more space then the Tone Press would also be a good option.

My choice for booster or light OD would be a Liquid Sunshine, AC Boost, or Prince of Tone.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    The Red Witch synthotron for synth duties? You get a bonus envelope filter buit in too. http://www.redwitchpedals.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=16
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    Look at the AMT Legend Amps 2 range for distortion. The C2 is a particular doozy - very amp-like (although I'm not entirely convinced it behaves like a Cornford in the same way that the P2 replicates the Peavey 5150 preamp's behaviour). Takes boosts really well too, which could well be of use in a G2 environment.
    <space for hire>
    I absolutely love the SP Comp so that would be the top pic from me. If you have more space then the Tone Press would also be a good option.

My choice for booster or light OD would be a Liquid Sunshine, AC Boost, or Prince of Tone.
    ah ok cool. i just want a nice and easy compressor really, that obviously is very good. i saw a vid of the ego and thought that was great, but if there is cheaper thats just as good and smaller (sp would be great size) then thats better for me. 

to be honest i dont think i will get an od pedal, at least not in the foreseeable future. i really dont NEED one and could do with saving the money for the other more high priority pedals. 
    The Red Witch synthotron for synth duties? You get a bonus envelope filter buit in too. http://www.redwitchpedals.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=16
    looks cool, but i think id prefer the micro synth. that may be because i havent seen what the synthotron can really do though
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    firks91 said:

ah ok cool. i just want a nice and easy compressor really, that obviously is very good. i saw a vid of the ego and thought that was great, but if there is cheaper thats just as good and smaller (sp would be great size) then thats better for me. 

to be honest i dont think i will get an od pedal, at least not in the foreseeable future. i really dont NEED one and could do with saving the money for the other more high priority pedals. 
    I love the SP. 

It's just exactly what I've always wanted a comp to sound like. It's very small, but very solidly built. 
    It also has a load of dip switches inside so you can hone the tone quite a bit. 
    I haven't tried the Wampler, but I've tried MXR, Boss, Visual Sound, Barber and the Xotic is hands down the best.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    @firks91 The Pigtronix Mothership is loads of synthy fun too. Worth checking out
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited May 2014
    Eventide H9 might also be worth considering given it's power and size. Koko is excellent, but the smaller 'Reloaded' unit is not shipping yet. What flavour of OD would you want? Loads of options out there, but all different. EP is great for cleans and making them bigger.
    @firks91 The Pigtronix Mothership is loads of synthy fun too. Worth checking out
    i shall do :)
    Eventide H9 might also be worth considering given it's power and size. Koko is excellent, but the smaller 'Reloaded' unit is not shipping yet. What flavour of OD would you want? Loads of options out there, but all different. EP is great for cleans and making them bigger.
    i did take a look but the lack of analog type knobs and such is a real turn off for me.
    od wise, i just want something to give me a smooth/ creamy but searing amp sounding lead. prime example of the kind of tone would be like a cornford rk100. no fizz and the like.
    oh and obvious od would be to just add on top of my amps od
  • AbandonMuteAbandonMute Frets: 29
    I made exactly that move - ditched the G-System for a G2 and pedals. I got the Timeline, it's fantastic, I like my fancy delays and it's just great, and really easy to use.

I very quickly bought a Flint and a favourite switch for it, which gave me a couple of different reverbs. It's enough, and I like the simplicity.

I got a bunch of mod pedals, including a Lex and a Mojo Vibe, a DOD flanger. They're awesome but I realised I missed having EVERYTHING. Like I want a couple of different flanger sounds, and chorus, and vibrato. So now I'm wanting a Möbius. Definitely want to have a listen first, but I do think it's going to be fine.

The Wampler stuff is overrated in my opinion, I don't understand the hype.

If you want a solo boost and you're using the amp in the G2's insert loop, stick a Lehle Sunday Driver in loop 10. Totally clean boost, whatever your sound - it just gets louder.

Nice true bypass wah in front of the G2, and if you're feeling flush, the Turbo Tuner too (it's also true bypass).

I also use a Way Huge Pork Loin, which I think is very underrated, and a fuzz and a treble booster, but that stuff you'll always be dicking about with.

You'll be blown away at the tonal improvement after the G-System - it really does suck tone, balanced cables and buffers not withstanding.

Do it!

Sadly I now want an Axe FX, but that's another story. :-)
  • AbandonMuteAbandonMute Frets: 29
    Just one more thing.

I have an Effectrode PC-2A - it's fantastic. For half the price there's the Dinosaural Comp which is also awesome, and runs on standard 9v, if you can find one.

Found some of the Red Witch stuff to be a bit noisy, might have just been me.

When you're budgeting, remember power supplies. You're going to want three Timelords at least for Timeline, Möbius, and verb. Just get them. You can run them off a Distributor but you'll get noise.

Basically, I'd say go big, get the things you want and don't compromise. If you run out of money, wait...

And then there's the Lava Cables (Tightrope, NOT mini ELC). So that's all going to be very expensive. On the other hand, it's a pro-level rig.