Out of the ashes of Wizard Pickups, Please welcome Hot Rod Pickups.

What's Hot
xJonnysixstringxJonnysixstring Frets: 326
edited May 2014 in Made in the UK
Hi Guys, Myself and business partner Dave Walsh (Eternal Guitars) and Paul Ross (finish and spray guru) have been lucky enough to continue the amazing work of Andy Blake of Wizard Pickups, We have under Andy's supervision spent the past 6 months working on his designs, tweaking a few things here and there and have until now held off on a full scale launch as Hot Rod Pickups. We are using the same high quality materials and lovingly winding and constructing every unit by hand. 

We made the jump to moving into a purpose built facility just outside of Chichester which now boasts full guitar repair, builds and set up work by Eternal Guitars, full re-finishes or repair work in our purpose built spray booth as well as hand made pickups. It would be great if you could check out our Facebook page and the website should be live in the next week or so, below is the official launch statement and also some links to clips of some of the range:

Out of the ashes of Wizard Pickups please welcome Hot Rod Pickups. We are continuing the legacy of Andy Blake of Wizard Pickups (now enjoying well earned retirement) manufacturing the same high quality product to his specification, using the same techniques and machinery, all of which have been mastered under Andy's tutelage. 

Hot Rod although new name to the market is operated by Dave Walsh and Jon Perry who both have a long history and vast experience in the guitar building and music industry.

Dave began his career in London’s Denmark Street where he trained as a Luthier in the early/mid ‘90s before working for Guitar & Bass Magazine as a product reviewer and Guitar Doctor Columnist. A stint at The Guitar Institute in West London followed before owning and running a retail music shop and busy guitar repair workshop in South London. After relocating to the south coast in 2009, Dave set-up ‘Eternal Guitars’ and fast built up a great local reputation for his relic custom guitars and repair work. Recently and together with Jon Perry and finish expert Paul Ross, Eternal Guitars has moved to a new bespoke workshop on the outskirts of Chichester.

Jon although being a guitarist by trade (turned pro aged 17) has launched a series of successful businesses through the years ranging from music agencies, production companies, sound proof booth design and builds and even a dance agency (don’t ask). As well as this he has worked internationally as a performer, song writer, session artist, guitar tech and producer. Being a self confessed guitar geek, and having owned and played pretty much everything over the years, being able to spend his days creating tone to the highest level is a dream come true.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tele Tweed Single Coil Set

Turbo Tele Single Coil Bridge and Nova Tron (filtertron) Neck 

Revelation Strat Set

Lots more video to come!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Good luck with that, mate. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Sounds good. Best of luck with that!

• Thanks guys, the main goal has been to maintain the standard Andy did for all those years, the list of household names he worked for is astounding, He has just been incredibly modest and not publicised it! We have been lucky enough to acquire his notes and designs, a lot of which are based on pretty much the most famous instruments on the planet!
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Nice one - hope it works well for you :)

• NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    Good luck to you with it all - sounds great.
  • Nice one chaps :D welcome to GAS heaven!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10261
    tFB Trader
    Welcome to the brotherhood of winders @Johnnysixstring ;
    Hayden of Bulldog pickups is here too ... we have a nice little community of sad guys who don't get out much ... sorry, professional pickup winders on here :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27434
    Welcome, indeed.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Thank you TGW it can indeed be a lonely pursuit, I counted 50,000 coils wound yesterday afternoon!  Thankfully there are three of us and 2 dogs in the workshop, I look forward to sharing our brand of geekery :)
  • Jonnysixstring;241350" said:
    Thank you TGW it can indeed be a lonely pursuit, I counted 50,000 coils wound yesterday afternoon!  Thankfully there are three of us and 2 dogs in the workshop, I look forward to sharing our brand of geekery :)
    Pics, or it didn't happen.

(dogs).
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Thank you TGW it can indeed be a lonely pursuit, I counted 50,000 coils wound yesterday afternoon!  Thankfully there are three of us and 2 dogs in the workshop, I look forward to sharing our brand of geekery :)
    Do you do dog wound pickups, or are they just there for the ears?

• Molly and Doodle the shop hounds :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    50,000 coils ?
    Is that in dog years?

50k turns or 50,000 completed coils? (sounds like a lot if you make the equivalent of 25,000 tele sets in a day)

Anyway - wishing you and Dave all the best in carrying on Andy's good work.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Ha, 50,000 winds, I WISH we were turning over that volume :) Thanks Jonathan, We did talk some years back about a Lion you had available but sadly i had no cash :(

edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    Four cats as regular visitors to my workshop ... a workshop without a pussy is a sad place ... :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That it is :)
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Hooray for people making cool stuff!
    Best of luck with all this, chaps, though I must say your armadillo looks unwell. I'm liking the look of that surf green tele thing!
    tFB Trader
    Great we can start a special section ... pickup winders pets! image